HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2009, 08:57 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2008
222 Posts
Discussion
Lipo's actually increasing in capacity or what else could it be?

Okay so I've just been noticing something a little strange with my Honeybee FP lately. I also set the trim tab on the transmitter right in the middle and then plug the battery into the heli. Now before it would also initialize properly but lately it seems I have to turn the trim down to nearly 1/4 for it to initialize properly and after it's ready to go if I set the trim back up to 1/2 you can hear the hum coming from the motors. I noticed before that as the battery loses power it doesn't have this effect anymore. Is it a strange posibility that my lipo's are actually starting to increase in capacity or possibly my charger is actually starting to overcharge them? I'm using two of the Esky 800Mah 2s lipos and the Esky charger that came with the Honeybee.
green_one is offline Find More Posts by green_one
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:05 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_one
Okay so I've just been noticing something a little strange with my Honeybee FP lately. I also set the trim tab on the transmitter right in the middle and then plug the battery into the heli. Now before it would also initialize properly but lately it seems I have to turn the trim down to nearly 1/4 for it to initialize properly and after it's ready to go if I set the trim back up to 1/2 you can hear the hum coming from the motors. I noticed before that as the battery loses power it doesn't have this effect anymore. Is it a strange posibility that my lipo's are actually starting to increase in capacity or possibly my charger is actually starting to overcharge them? I'm using two of the Esky 800Mah 2s lipos and the Esky charger that came with the Honeybee.
Which trim tab are you setting in the middle?? I hope not the throttle one it should always be at the full down.
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:06 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2008
222 Posts
Yes the throttle trim. I've heard of countless people setting the throttle trim on the HBFP at middle so that's just what I've also done and lately been setting it at 1/4 throttle until the heli is ready to go.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:24 AM
no no no, a music gig
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,605 Posts
Throttle trim is not needed for RC heli's. You will also see an urgent need to be sure that speed control is fully off in the future if not already. Pad the throttle with a dead zone at the bottom.

CH
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:25 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Could be your motors getting broke in. Yes, and always set your throttle trim to lowest.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:33 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Yes the throttle trim. I've heard of countless people setting the throttle trim on the HBFP at middle so that's just what I've also done and lately been setting it at 1/4 throttle until the heli is ready to go.
Well OK than if countless people do it it must be all right then to go ahead and do it wrong... I see countless people smoking so I guess it's also OK.. Countless people cheat on their wife so I guess I'll go get a girlfriend.. Wait that will cost me hobby money forget that one...

OK now there have been countless people telling you to leave the throttle trim all the way down... So now what do you do??
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:42 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2008
222 Posts
I know I hear what you're saying. Just seemed to work find so I went with it. lol
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:07 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,381 Posts
You can do whatever suits you with your own controller. But what possible purpose does it serve? That trim slider is primarily there for compatibility--ELE trim in mode 1 configs--and secondarily for fine idle adjustments to IC powerplants.

Anyhow, the threshold at which the PWM drive begins responding varies with the temperature of the electronics.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:24 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2008
222 Posts
Well I just always kinda thought having the point of a throttle trim would be to set where the throttle kicks in as low on the stick as possible to increase the maximum output of the stick at full throttle. However I've noticed on the 4 in 1 the red light indicating full power seems to light up at roughly 70 - 80% throttle input regardless of where my throttle trim is set.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:32 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Well I just always kinda thought having the point of a throttle trim would be to set where the throttle kicks in as low on the stick as possible to increase the maximum output of the stick at full throttle. However I've noticed on the 4 in 1 the red light indicating full power seems to light up at roughly 70 - 80% throttle input regardless of where my throttle trim is set.
The throttle trim was put there to adjust the idling speed of internal combustion engines. and as a IC engine shut down. It has no purpose on electric powered aircraft. Other than to burn out your motor if you crash while you have it set above full down trim if any power is still getting to the motor..
Old Sep 20, 2009, 01:19 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,703 Posts
Quote:
I know I hear what you're saying. Just seemed to work find so I went with it. lol
it seemed to work fine, except its feeding your motor power at low throttle, so it seems its NOT working fine hmmmmmm? You probably just never noticed it before. I had my DX7 for 6 months before I noticed it makes a constant hum when its on (they all do)
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Sep 20, 2009, 05:38 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,381 Posts
Quote:
point of a throttle trim would be to set where the throttle kicks in as low on the stick as possible to increase the maximum output of the stick at full throttle
I didn't want to say you thought that, but I was afraid you did.

If you have trim at 5%, that doesn't mean you now have 105% power.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 06:03 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2008
222 Posts
Ya I couldn't think of any other logical reason for it.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 08:49 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,381 Posts
As above, the principal reason is mechanical compatibility among the modes so they can make one TX and it works for everything.

Just because switches and knobs are there doesn't obligate you to find a use for them.