HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:41 AM
Federal Way, WA
Joined Oct 2002
28 Posts
Discussion
Dow Blue FFF clear plastic film

Hi, never used FFF before so dont laugh. Do you leave the plastic sheeting
on except for the glue joint areas, or do you remove all the plastic before painting?
Some jpegs show real smooth paint jobs and others look wavie
type, like foam manufacturing lines. Looked thru the threads but didnt find
if plastic stays on or completly remove it.... Tnx
slvmnr is offline Find More Posts by slvmnr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:55 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
Its up to you man, the FFF skin can hold paint but its not smooth like you mention.

I remove it or put the skin side inside the fuselage. Then put packing tape on the finished exterior of plane. Scuff the tape with fine sandpaper and hit it with some spray paint.

Just take your time laying the tape down, it wants to crease and bubble real easily but if done right, youll have that smooth surface your after. Just make sure you scuff the tape with a fine sandpaper so the paint with stick.
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Last edited by inline300; Sep 20, 2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:19 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Aug 2003
538 Posts
I leave the skin ON.
Only remove it for glue joints.
Weight savings by removing skin are negligeble & stiffnes is increased by leaving it on.

Bob
boberos is offline Find More Posts by boberos
Old Sep 20, 2009, 03:28 PM
Things are looking up...
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
1,434 Posts
I leave it on, except for glue joints (as mentioned) and on the inside of flexed or curved pieces to allow the foam to compress in the bend. For instance, using BluCore (with skin on both sides) I peal the inside of the top wing so the curved top can be formed, same with thin side of a rolled fuselage. The skin really helps increase the panel strength. Acrylic paint sticks fine to the waxy skin, but to make it stick a little better you can clean it first with alcohol, which will also take off the black print. And a little light spackle on your finger run over the little vent holes in the skin, followed by some light sanding, makes it a fine exterior surface.

If you plan on glassing, though, you might as well remove all the skin, as the foam is easy to sand and the exposed foam is better to bond or glass to.

Rick
mechrick is offline Find More Posts by mechrick