HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:18 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
Discussion
Foam Tack Glue

I called my local art shop a few days ago to try and buy my favourite glue (UHU creativ) in bulk at a cheaper price. Normally a 33ml tube cost me $10 aussie dollars. Fairly pricey. The store said they wouldn't be getting anymore in because there was another product that students from the local university were using and preferring. So I bought a bottle of the new stuff. New to me anyway! It's called Foam Tack Glue and is made in the US by Woodland Scenics. Tested it this afternoon as a contact adhesive and as a straight glue. As a contact adhesive it is very close in strength to the UHU I was using. It looks like a viscous wood glue, is white, dries clear and is flexible. I'm impressed! And it also works out at less than half the price of the UHU product as well. And it doesn't feel all gummy like the UHU does, which was a real PITA if you needed to sand anywhere near it!

5 hours later it's still drying in the straight glue test. I think I'll stick with the contact method lol!
Scroll about 3/4 down the page
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandsceni...lsAndAdhesives

Has anyone else used this glue? Any good or bad experiences?
aerophilia is offline Find More Posts by aerophilia
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:34 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
I have not tried it but always willing to test a glue product. Let us know how it does as a straight glue bond. I've used a glue called "The perfect glue" I bought at Home Depot and it is very much like UHU. I'm happy with it.

This glue would cost less so that would be better.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:40 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
DaDesign, it feels like a completely different formulation to UHU. It doesn't have that thinners smell to it. It actually smells like PVA or wood glue. I'll do some more testing overnight and report back.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:10 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,997 Posts
They don't seem to have a MSDS or any thing for it that would let you know what, if any, volatiles are in it and what type of glue it is.

If it is a polyurethane (PU) it would probably foam up in the presence of water whereas regular carpenter's glue does not foam up. Have you tried anything like that? Spritzing a small dab with water to see if it will foam like Gorilla or other PU's do?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Sep 19, 2009, 04:57 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
Hi Jackerbes. There's no information on the bottle as to the ingredients either. I may sen them an email and ask a few questions. Especially on the safety side of things.

I don't think it's a PU type of glue, but I'll do a test and see what water does to it.

The overnight straight glue test went very well. It stuck!! Just takes a long time to dry. Same with the contact method really, you really need to let the glue dry off a bit before bringing the 2 surfaces together. Around 20 minutes I'm guessing.

So it's not as quick, and I don't think quite as strong (but plenty strong enough for most applications) as UHU Creativ. I'm sold though as the price can't be beat for foam glue around here!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:28 AM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Aleene's quick dry tacky glue is the same stuff (PVA) and it dries in about an hour or less, depending on humidity.
KenSt is online now Find More Posts by KenSt
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:33 PM
flyd7
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Feb 2008
212 Posts
there is a glue at hobbylobby craft store and at micheals made by the company called "beacon adhesives'' they sell "FABRI-TAC'', it drys clear and is very strong bonding. I use this product on all my birds,depron.for a 4oz bott. costs 7$ i like it alot better than uhu and its more for the buck.
flyd7 is offline Find More Posts by flyd7
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:44 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
You guys are really spoilt for choice over there! Down Under we just don't have the range of glue or foam to choose from. And by the time it gets here it's so much more expensive!!
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:03 AM
United States, MI, Parma
Joined Aug 2006
200 Posts
Fabri-Tac

I got a heads up on this a couple posts back. I found mine this mourning at Wal-Mart. Paid $4.97 for this product.

I ran home and did some joint testing on this and it looks like it will be a great glue. It is alot like the UHU Creative. Nice and tacky, dries pretty fast, and strong on the test joints.

The test joints were a simple lap joint to simulate a laminated structure, and a simple butt joint. Both joints are looking good and feeling strong.

I have been trying different glues ever since UHU Creative became unavailable in my area.

This is the first glue I have found that meets my requirements of readily available, reasonable cost, and of course WORKS!

Thanks flyd7 for the heads up on this fine product.

Rolland
Rolland Benson is offline Find More Posts by Rolland Benson
Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:10 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4 Posts
I have been using "Power Grab" paneling and drywall adhesive by Loctite to build my Depron foam planes. It has a set up time like 5 min epoxy and you can get it at Lowes. The bad news is that it only comes in white and you have to buy a 10 on tube.
RTSunderland is offline Find More Posts by RTSunderland
Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:45 PM
United States, UT, St George
Joined Jun 2009
614 Posts
yea i use fabritac on almost everything now.

i'll use it on butt joints by just sticking together while wet then pull apart a few times or use it as a contact cement on harder pieces like the top of steves f-22.

so with a bottle of fabritac, a can of 3m super 77 for laminating and fuse doublers and 5 min epoxy for critical joints you can throw together a plane at lightning speed as they all set VERY fast. i recomend leaving fabritac over night before you put it through the ringer with sanding and that sort of abuse but it sand VERY nice and is SUPER light weight and since it uses some acetone as the solvent it welds the foam and evaporates fast! can't say enough good about the stuff!

and for the record im using Dow PB3.
trevjonez is offline Find More Posts by trevjonez
Old Mar 11, 2011, 03:21 PM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,778 Posts
We now carry an improved solution of Foam Tac Glue made by Beacon glue. They set time is reduced. It works best when it is room temperature or warming. Some people heat up some water to let it sit in for a few seconds.

Foam Tac Glue

2dogrc
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV