HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
Discussion
Tethered Trainer available

We, at Black Hawk Models, have been working on bringing out the Tethered Trainer for over a year, and it is finally here. I think that half of my gray hair came from this project.
Designed by Earl Clayton in about 1944
Kitted by Scientific Models as the Cyclone through 1947
Released in plan form as the Tethered Trainer in the late 40's, early 50's
Kitted by Black Hawk Models 2009 ...Hah!

Kit has full size plans that include ignation infomation, all hardware, formed wire, laser cut parts, two full sheets of silkspan and a construction book.
Wing span 36" engine Ignition O & R 23 glow .15 to .19 and maybe even a little smaller. Build up everything.

Okay, Okay the price. The kit will be released ay $65.00 it may go up later.

First dealer to have the kit on Monday will be Boone's Hobbies in CA. (562) 708-0653
Larry
BLACK HAWK MOD is offline Find More Posts by BLACK HAWK MOD
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:36 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,175 Posts
Is it flown on a 'fishing pole' like the early stanzel planes? Unusual plane, would love to know how popular it will be. Are you selling line aswell or will customers be directed to SIG or Brodak?
Cheers
Simon
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Sep 19, 2009, 01:42 AM
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
This model is a control line model, it uses two lines from a bellcrank to a control handle that operates the elevator. Black Hawk Models does offer both Whip Powered Control Line models and tethered models. The differance is that the models that use a fishing pole, Whip Powered Control line, are pulled through the air the lines from the control handle by way of the fishing pole, this model uses an engine. A tethered plane uses a single line attached to the wing and is swung over your head.
We are a manufacturer of model kits and do not sell to the public but direct customers to hobby dealers who will carry the kits and the accessories. In our 1/2A control line kits and Whip Powered Control Line kits we do give a free control handle and lines, for the larger planes, like this one, you will need steel lines and a larger handle.
We will start kitting these models tomorrow and we currently have twelve on order from four different dealers. Most will get their orders next week. The responce to this kit has been very good abd I expect sales to be "Fair" to "Good".
Larry
Old Sep 19, 2009, 01:45 AM
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
another picture
Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:00 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Always nice to see a new control-line kit on offer. We still sell a steady trickle of all the old designs. Someone asked me 'what about a new one'

I haven't flown CL for over 40 years not sure I'd know where to start...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:27 AM
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
Our line of over 80 model kits that includes Control Line, Free Flight, Gliders, tethered models, prop rod cars, Whip Powered planes and many more is sold in the UK by Den Saxcoberg:
Den Saxcoberg
Flat 2
54 Westhill Road
Ryde
Isle of Wight
PO33 1LN
England
Telephone: 01983 616603
Email: den@denandtheartof.co.uk

Larry
Old Sep 20, 2009, 01:44 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
The prettiest TT I've seen was built by Dr Gabriel Macri in Italy.

If you're a scratch builder or just plain curious, the original plan and article is on The Plan Page.

http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2602/ttcl.htm

It's a really pretty model and I bought an OR .23 just to run in this model.

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old Sep 20, 2009, 01:52 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
It would make a nice R/C conversion
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:40 AM
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
We have an R/C-Free Flight model of this kit due out later this year. We went to a smaller engine and an optional poly-dyhedral wing.
Larry
Old Sep 20, 2009, 03:28 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
The thing I'd like to see marketed is a ready-made electonic control system for CL.

Handle with 2 lines insulated from each other and the electronics and knobs/buttons for 2 to 4 servo functions, feeding the signal down the wires to a "reciever/decoder". No RF broadcasting.

There have been instructions published for making your own... but that means finding the same make/model old RC system to gut for the parts.

Control line electric conversions with this would be easy... select any current ESC and motor. Switch motor on/off or trigger type proportional throttle...

No one needs to hold the model... no wasting power (flight time) as you run out to pick up the handle if using a "stooge"

Its all stuff that has already been done piecemeal... but I haven't seen the ready-to-use handle + receiver made anywhere.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:17 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,034 Posts
Re Post #7: I have to say, this is one of the most beautiful models I've ever seen.....in my eyes simply stunning......McGiver, could you tell us more of it, about the covering, colour trim etc...?

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:23 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,175 Posts
Sorry abouyt my confusion larry, didn't quite see the other leadout in the B&W pic. The finished model is very pretty.
cheers
Simon
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Sep 20, 2009, 08:37 PM
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
Thanks for letting me spout off about all of the other models that we make.
Larry
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:39 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Feb 2005
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand
Re Post #7: I have to say, this is one of the most beautiful models I've ever seen.....in my eyes simply stunning......McGiver, could you tell us more of it, about the covering, colour trim etc...?

I second that...what a little beauty !
Chris Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Old Sep 21, 2009, 02:06 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
Gluehand,

Sadly I can't remember, it's not my model, it belongs to Dr Gabriel Macri of Italy who, as you can see, is a master in the art.
There are many more examples of his model on his control line website. Check out all the gallery pages, they are well worth a look.

http://digilander.libero.it/ucontrol...0/airplane.htm

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver