SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2009, 04:42 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,457 Posts
Discussion
TIGER MOTH ARF (Hobby Lobby)

Today I MAIDENED my completed Hobby Lobby Tiger Moth. !!

I use the term completed because it still has a couple of items to be "finished" and those are the installation of the two windshields and assembly of the pilot.

I gave it a short 3 - 4 minute flight.

The flight went very well. The take-off roll was very straight with just a minimum amount of rudder correction. The plane slows down with no bad tendencies. At full throttle it will climb at more than 60 deg. pitch. It will loop at 1/2 throttle. I did some loops, rolls and hammerheads and noticed no tendencies to break or snap out of the maneuvers. Very mild mannered flier.

The CG is at 5 1/4" back from the top wing LE. I would like it to be further forward by at least 1/4 to 1/2" for even better performance, but even at this aft CG it was easy to fly. Of course, as any other scale biplane goes, it does demand quite a bit of rudder action from the pilot during the flight.

With the setup listed below, the motor pulls 28 amps. at full throttle and about 9 amps. at 1/2 throttle.

MOTOR: BP Hobbies A2820-6 (1000 KV) "SUPPO"
ESC: BP Hobbies 40 amp.
RECEIVER: SPEKTRUM AR500
TX: SPEKTRUM D5e
SERVOS: (4) GWS NARO MAX BB
BATTERY: 3S1P, 2200mah, 20C G-Force

(***NOTE*** for future flights, I may fly with 3000 mah's for longer flights and better CG performance)

This is my first plane controlled by SPEKTRUM. The performance of the radio was flawless throughout the flight.

No inflight photos yet since this was a spur of the moment flight, however here's some photos taken after the flight. Photos and videos to come, stay tuned!!!....

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Last edited by simano; Sep 18, 2009 at 05:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:23 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Sweet Gerry, I've had my eye on this one for some time myself. Im glad you started a thread on it as there arent any that I know of.

I've been leaning toward bigger electrics lately, my new 49in. span Decathlon is the first step in that direction. Just bought Eflite's PT19 today, and this TM is next on the list when they get back in stock. Adn they are on sale now too $129.95 down from $189. Fantastic deal!

Man it looks so nice Gerry, im extremely jealous man!
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:37 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Hi Sky Bro!

Super job and happy that all went well!

See you in the morning!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Sep 18, 2009, 06:03 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk
Sweet Gerry, I've had my eye on this one for some time myself. Im glad you started a thread on it as there arent any that I know of.

I've been leaning toward bigger electrics lately, my new 49in. span Decathlon is the first step in that direction. Just bought Eflite's PT19 today, and this TM is next on the list when they get back in stock. Adn they are on sale now too $129.95 down from $189. Fantastic deal!

Man it looks so nice Gerry, im extremely jealous man!
Thanks SabreHawk,

This one is now the largest model in my hangar, next is my scratchbuilt baby Bucker Jungmeister. I fly these two at AMA sanctioned RC clubs.

The Parkzone T-28, Art-Tech Christen Eagle and others are fine for schools, parks etc.

I noticed the Tiger Moth is out of stock until late Oct. but the price is holding at $129.95...thank goodness!!
Old Sep 18, 2009, 06:04 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Hi Sky Bro!

Super job and happy that all went well!

See you in the morning!
Thanks Carlos,

It is a sweet flier indeed !!...

Gerry.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 06:33 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Ok now, that pilot. Just tell me where ya got him and nobody gets hurt.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:23 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk
Ok now, that pilot. Just tell me where ya got him and nobody gets hurt.
LOL...I know it's a sharp looking pilot.

Well, I'll tell how I made the pilot...

1) Go to EBAY and search for "BBI"...that's Blue Box International...the company that makes very fine looking 12" figures and accessories.

2) Search for a suitable head and for a nice leather type helmet and goggles.. you'll find countless of those.

3) also, look for a leather jacket which they have lots of as well.

4) Make a styrofoam bust. Medium CA the head to it and dress it with the jacket. The excess jacket at the bottom can be folded back and secured with Scotch tape.

5) Use self adhesive Velcro to secure the pilot to the cockpit...DONE!!!

The grand total for this particular pilot is less than $10 !!...of course it will vary according to the deals you can find on EBAY.

I finished the pilot and will take some photos tomorrow in the morning.

Gerry.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:59 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Dang it! You guys don't sleep!

Don't complain to me in a few hours from now that you crashed your RC Airplane due to lack of sleep, Gerry!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:51 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,586 Posts
Congrats on your madien!

I finally finished my conversion of the glow version of the Green RC TM this summer. Heavier than I expected, but still a great flying plane.

AXI 2820/10 on a 4 cell A123 pack.
7 min. flights leave about 30% in the pack and recharge is 12 min. with balancing.

You reported CG is well rearward of what anyone else has reported. The CG was my primary area of concern with mine. I may have done a little too much research while putting it together.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:15 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff
Congrats on your madien!

I finally finished my conversion of the glow version of the Green RC TM this summer. Heavier than I expected, but still a great flying plane.

AXI 2820/10 on a 4 cell A123 pack.
7 min. flights leave about 30% in the pack and recharge is 12 min. with balancing.

You reported CG is well rearward of what anyone else has reported. The CG was my primary area of concern with mine. I may have done a little too much research while putting it together.
Tim,

First let me say you got a fine looking TM there!!...I always liked that red/silver scheme as well.

I'm definitely moving the CG forward today. I also need to move the thrust line up since there's a marked tendency to pitch down when more power is applied in flight.

Gerry.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:28 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,457 Posts
Second Flight

Today I flew my Tiger Moth for the second time.

After today's flight it is evident that two things need adjustment...Thrust Line needs to go up and CG needs to move forward, but it's a looker up there and I can't wait to fly it again after I do the adjustments!!.

Also, I'll revisit the flying/landing wire rigging I used. I didn't use the setup provided with the kit because they seemed kinda bulky and somewhat off scale but the one I made up became loose and doesn't look good so, I might end up using the one included with the kit after all.

Gerry.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:42 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,457 Posts
Video!!

Carlos, thanks so much for documenting this second flight on video.

This video illustrates the effect of aft CG and too much downthrust as exhibited by the constant pitching up and down during the flight.

Carlos, I'm looking forward to you taking a video on the next flight after the adjustments are complete.

Hobby-Lobby Tiger Moth by Gerry 09-19-09 (5 min 38 sec)

Gerry.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 04:06 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,586 Posts
I didn't care for all the clevisis in the rigging either. I left off the clevisis and thread rod at the lower inboard end but left the brass tube. It looks a lot better. The flying wires are functional. You will notice them tensioning and loosening if you lift the palne by the wings.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:36 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,457 Posts
REV. A...mods complete

Ok, I just finished all the adjustments that in my view were required for this beauty to fly like it's supposed to:

1) First of all, I got rid of the homemade rigging and installed the included flying/landing wires. The more I look at the results, the more I like it and the functionality is there now...and I must say the photos of Tim Wolff's Tiggie inspired me to go this way...

2) Took off a couple degrees of down thrust that was causing the plane to pitch down when power was added...let's see how much improvement this will have.

3) Added 9 oz. of lead weight. Went to the local WALMART fishing department and got a pack of 1 1/2 oz lead bullets that I installed with tie wraps in front and to the sides of the motor mount.

I checked the CG ready to fly config. and it is 4 1/4" from top wing leading edge. Manual says 4" to 4 1/2" so I'm dead center!!!...

Here's some photos...will take it out to Moonport in the morning and hopefully Carlos will be there to video it and I'll report afterwards...stay tuned!!!

Gerry.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:16 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,457 Posts
BTW, the ready to fly weight is 4.4 lbs....