HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:39 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
I ONLY WISH THAT I COULD GET RELEASE 5 FOR THAT MONEY !
I HAVE V3 and V4 regular way ...which are an awful lot of money...and I still would work on V3 as my boss wouldn't have spend the money for the 4release.....

Frank I would spend the effort on your room as I would have the time ( and as the program you are writing would be non commercial) but actually I'm working more than 50 h a week on the job and have several other private duties...
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:38 AM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
Thanks Harpye, I know how that feels. At the moment I am between employers and trying to get some products of my own on the market before I run out of money. I have a few things left to purchase that I can't get around, I have to have them in order to distribute the software. My current background on my frame is a steel look sent by one of my programmer buddies. If all goes well though next year there will be some products for the rc market too.
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:20 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Perhaps you could tell more about the kind of programs you create PM...
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:03 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpye View Post
I ONLY WISH THAT I COULD GET RELEASE 5 FOR THAT MONEY !
I HAVE V3 and V4 regular way ...which are an awful lot of money...and I still would work on V3 as my boss wouldn't have spend the money for the 4release.....

Frank I would spend the effort on your room as I would have the time ( and as the program you are writing would be non commercial) but actually I'm working more than 50 h a week on the job and have several other private duties...
Is release 5 supposed to come out soon? Maybe I should wait for that if I get it at all.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:20 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
I heared of that but I'm not sure ... should read the newsletter but cannot effort the time!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:23 PM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Is release 5 supposed to come out soon? Maybe I should wait for that if I get it at all.
I just bought Rhino4 a few weeks back and there was no mention by anyone about 5 released anytime soon. How ever, everytime I buy something, a new release is usually just around the corner!!

Question to the experts:

Is there an easy way to inspect several surfaces to see that they intersect all the way around and all the seperate components are connected at the edges? An example of this is this nacelle. I built it as several tubes and then extruded some straight curves between them to get the correct shape. Then trimmed at the intersections to get the shape. Later I tried to trim the tubes at the interection to hollow out the landing gear area to work on the gear, and could not trim the tubes. I wound up projecting a new curve on the surface of the tube by tracing the edge of the panels and used that as a cut line.

My question to the long winded explaination above: " Is there an easy way to inspect the surfaces to find out where a particular edge or part of an edge does not intersect with another surface. And, is there an easy way to adjust two partially intesecting surfaces to fix them?

FF
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:39 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
The software I mentioned will be commercially marketed, the rc oriented program will be of interest to some here so there will be a product announcement. That will be 1st quarter of next year though. And now, back to your thread....
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:42 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Float flyer ... I recently try to find the passage where I ment it was called... but ... ok ... seems that I missunderstood something ... Sorry guys....

But it would be time as I have release 4 for several years now....

There is a possibility.... un the analyze menue ... "show Edges"-> check ...show all naked edges ... so the open edges are displayed...

To check for total intersection you could use "object intersection" from "curve from object" menue... the intersection line is created and as this one is closed you are right....

Regarding your nacells ... you could trim the mid part and move both halves from each other ( afterwards close the gap by a surf or an extrusion...) or secondly ... what is the more difficult way ... move the groups of control points fromeach other ....
Last edited by Harpye; Nov 16, 2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:03 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Frank ... ok it is a rather downsized scene but I was not able to effort more then two hours of work!! And I'm NOT photolab proof - regarding the equipment there will miss a lot of things...')

Is this the way you thought about??
Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:17 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Float Flyer View Post
I just bought Rhino4 a few weeks back and there was no mention by anyone about 5 released anytime soon. How ever, everytime I buy something, a new release is usually just around the corner!!

Question to the experts:

Is there an easy way to inspect several surfaces to see that they intersect all the way around and all the seperate components are connected at the edges? An example of this is this nacelle. I built it as several tubes and then extruded some straight curves between them to get the correct shape. Then trimmed at the intersections to get the shape. Later I tried to trim the tubes at the interection to hollow out the landing gear area to work on the gear, and could not trim the tubes. I wound up projecting a new curve on the surface of the tube by tracing the edge of the panels and used that as a cut line.

My question to the long winded explaination above: " Is there an easy way to inspect the surfaces to find out where a particular edge or part of an edge does not intersect with another surface. And, is there an easy way to adjust two partially intesecting surfaces to fix them?

FF
FF,

I'm not entirely sure I'm understanding your problem correctly, but it seems like you could use a Boolean difference to get rid of the material where the wheel needs to go.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:18 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
THought he wanted to get the nacelles from each other to place the wheels between ... and the spacer would have to be adapted!!!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:58 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Rhino 5 isn't coming out until the end of next year according to the official word. You can download the alpha build right now though:

Rhino 5 work-in-progress build

That page explains the timeframe from alpha (present WIP), to beta to release candidate and it looks like we're about a year away if they stick with that schedule. I'm going to try out the 64-bit alpha pretty soon just to see how it's shaping up.

I'm trying to remember when I bought Rhino 4 and I think it was over two years ago now (edit: yep, Sept. '07). Have to check my registration emails...but anyways, even a year's worth of time on v4 is worth buying in my opinion.

Carl
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:13 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
Excellent work Harpye! That has been set as the wallpaper for my main menu, all of the other windows will come up over the top. Thanks for the images.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:18 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
No problem Frank!

Carl so I will start begging at my boss from tomorrow ( he is a bit slow with buying new software releases.... )
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:19 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
LOL, that sounds like a plan.
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole