HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:12 PM
Account Closed
Joined Jun 2009
118 Posts
Keyboard shortcuts

Being an AutoCAD user, I'm able to program any command using any keyboard keys. An example would be: ZW for Zoom Window or P for Pan. You don't have to use keys like (Shift + Alt + right mouse button drag) or (Ctrl + Shift + PageUp) just to accomplish one command. Is it possible to do any customizing and get away from having to enter in so many keys?
sharpewing is offline Find More Posts by sharpewing
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 01:46 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
Check out right mousebuttons on the views and the scroll wheel ...pretty intuitiv ... in other case there is the possibility to create hot key combinations somewhere in the TOOLS -Options - keyboard section
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:32 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
You can program hot keys by going to File -> Properties -> Rhino Options -> Aliases. In this menu you can also give sequences of commands a single hot key which can be a very useful time saver if you need to do the same thing over and over again.

One thing I'd like is for there to be hot keys for the snaps, but since you can drag the snap menu around on the workspace it's not really necessary.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Dec 07, 2010, 11:02 AM
Account Closed
Joined Jun 2009
118 Posts
YES!!! Thats what I was looking for! Thanks Guys. I was looking in the wrong place.

Bill
sharpewing is offline Find More Posts by sharpewing
Old Dec 07, 2010, 04:12 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
New ways . ... new Uriol and new ideas

Hansjoerg
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:39 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,678 Posts
Help! I'm new to Rhino, and a bit rusty on CAD in general, and I have chosen a tough airplane to get started on. I thought I was making pretty good headway, but the step area on the seaplane has me stumped. The surface gets messed up there.

Rear of the step I am missing a frame which I may have to try and construct. But it seems to be the step in the side profile that is giving me grief.

Do I need to remove the side bulges from all the frames and surface the fuselage separate, and then add the bulges back on? Is there a trick I can use to make the step area surface better? I've tried most of the surface options...

Thanks,

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:08 PM
Joined May 2006
118 Posts
I think you would be better off to build the front 4/5ths of the fuselage without the complications, then add the tail form, the engine bulges and CUT away the rear lower part. You can't build a decent form to a broken line without it screwing up the surface above it, as your pix proves.
allanflowers is offline Find More Posts by allanflowers
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:36 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,678 Posts
Thanks!

Back to the CAD mines...

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:51 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
Kevon - try more stringers - it is a similar problem I had with my floaters but .... although I would also make this in several sections I would go for more information on the length dimension of the NURBS ... and dont extrude/ Loft but choose mesh from curves / Splines....
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:32 AM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,734 Posts
Holding tabs/laser cutting

Any recommendations for creating holding tabs when "direct printing" to a laser cutter. By "direct printing" I mean that I'll be printing to/through a special laser print driver directly from Rhino as opposed to using a CAM program.

I've been using a CAM program called CamBam to generate g-code for cutting on my CNC router. CamBam allows holding tabs to be added and modified without affecting the drawing

As of right now I seem to be left with manually creating gaps (through the use of split and trim commands) in the outline of the ALL of parts. I'm hoping that there is a better way to do this!

Thanks in advance!
Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jan 06, 2011, 03:54 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
Hello Brian! - I dont know another standard way to do this, but Rhino is scriptable what means you could write a little program which allows you to click the outline and the program fulfills what you told, drawing a circle around the clicked location and afterwards splitting the outline with the circle and eliminating the line in the circle with the circle ... so you would have your gap .... but you afterwards would have to create a plot file which the laser would e able to use..... But scripting is not that well documented in RHino .... so this could certainly not be part of this workshop - that would be advanced!

Hansjoerg

I tried if this would work ... 3 tabs - width pre defined ( recently 1mm ) no influence on location set on equidistant distnce from each other... one click one part is tabbed ...afterwards the subparts are reorganized and so could be handeled as a part again! its just a trial and it is still not running very stable ( including errorhandler or similar!) - but it shows that it would be possible

[Anyone any idea how to create a command button for the menue from a script ( thats where I got stuck!!!) ..Got it! forget it!
Last edited by Harpye; Jan 07, 2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:12 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
I found a way to create an executable button.....

Setting TABs With Rhino Script (0 min 34 sec)
Last edited by Harpye; Jan 07, 2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:05 AM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,734 Posts
Hansjoerg,

Can you share the details (e.g.the actual script...etc)?

Thanks!!!!!!

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:08 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
I can - But have to say that this is just a BETA version without errorhandling...
And you would have to accept the limitations described within the Package
...However ... Gotta PM
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:54 AM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
That's still worth having under the belt even if your script is buggy in some instances. Nice work.
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole