HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:01 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,650 Posts
Help with cutting spar slots

I need help!

Hopefully this makes some sense! The pictures below, although simplified, hopefully illustrates what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm actually just trying to cut spar slots through ribs. This trick is that the spars are not perpendicular to the ribs.

This first picture shows the location of the "spar" and the "ribs". The second picture show the "ribs" after a Boolean difference operation removed the material for the spar slots. The spar slot is at an angle to match the spar. Although technically correct this slot I can't cut this with a 3 axis cnc router or a laser cutter.
What I'm looking for is shown in the third picture. The forth picture shows the spar back in place.
Everything I've tried so far requires me to modify each rib separately after the initial spar slot has been cut. So the question is what's the best way to do this with Rhino?
Thanks in advance!

Brian

p.s. I hope that the pictures show up in the correct order. If not I've labeled them.

p.p.s. The last picture (green wing) shows what I'm actually working on.
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:18 PM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,526 Posts
you can have lines on surfaces

use this function to mark all your surfaces that have to have the spar crossing and mark the spar..
and use this function.
Claus
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:26 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDave View Post
Hello !

I've drawn a wing and cutted out an aileron.

Can someone explain me how i can cap the hole created by the split function ? (selected in yellow on the picture) i've tried with "cap planar holes", "patch", "net of curves"...
I try to work with solids for most things so that I don't end up with this problem. You can do this by using the "Cap" command immediately after doing a sweep, loft, curve network, etc.

In your case, I would probably do the following.

1) Create straight lines at each open corner resulting from your split.
2) Use the EdgeSrf command to create surfaces using these curves and the appropriate edges of the wing skin. If this command doesn't work, you may need to use a loft or sweep instead.
3) Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the aileron (if desired).
4) Use CreateSolid to turn the wing and aileron into a solid.

Alternatively, you could try undoing to before the split, use Cap to turn your wing into a solid, and then redo the split.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:57 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Surface>Planar Curves. Done.
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:49 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude View Post
I need help!
I'm actually just trying to cut spar slots through ribs. This trick is that the spars are not perpendicular to the ribs.
You might try working with surfaces rather than fully developed solids. Chop them up as needed with spars, then extrude those surfaces. This way the notches match what the CNC can do.

Or

Do the ribs last. Create all of the parts, such as the wing surfaces, spars, wire holes, lightening holes, linkage holes and oh did mention holes, THEN use the Curves from Section to create the ribs. These rib curves can be used directly for parts or they can be extruded to provide a cutting surface for modeling shear webs.
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: "Slice-n-Dice"
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:13 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,476 Posts
I just got an email about this:

http://www.scan-and-solve.com/video/...n-stl-model-of

Looks pretty cool. It's built-in FEA for Rhino. I don't know how good it is, but it definitely looks promising. Interestingly, it looks like the meshing (solution discretization) is done automatically by the application. This could be useful for model airplane design, especially if you can add in balsa/foam as materials.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:58 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
Surface>Planar Curves. Done.
It worked perfectly !

I had to separate the 3 surfaces, but after that the command has closed the surfaces correctly.

Thank you !
Dave
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Old Nov 18, 2010, 05:35 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDave View Post
It worked perfectly !

I had to separate the 3 surfaces, but after that the command has closed the surfaces correctly.

Thank you !
Dave
You're welcome. Glad it worked for you. Sometimes there are really useful commands in Rhino that are very easy to overlook like the above.

Carl
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:38 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2 Posts
Hello, I've learned a lot from this thread, and want to thank you all for contribution.

I would like to learn Rhino as i am interested in aircraft 3d modelling...
Now, does anybody of you have step by step video tutorial for airplane modelling techniques. It's kinda hard to follow you cuz you already work in rhino for some time.

This thread needs only that... a video tutorial, and it can be good point to start this fantastic hoby...

Many thanks,
Rale
rc_starter is offline Find More Posts by rc_starter
Old Nov 27, 2010, 01:30 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,084 Posts
Hello Rale - I did a kind of workshop here in RCG some years ago .... the tutorial is still existing

- go for

WWW.modellbauwahn.de

-> English section

-> Engineering - at the bottom of the page are several packages

Have fun trying -

Hansjoerg

Some weeks ago we did another workshop - physically - some buddies from Germany and I.

Was a great weekend .... and the result...
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Nov 27, 2010, 01:51 AM
KIT Designer
Padova Northern Italy
Joined Jun 2010
185 Posts
I have visited your site Harpye. WWW.modellbauwahn.de
Very much it was pleasant to me!
Konstantin S. is offline Find More Posts by Konstantin S.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:03 AM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpye View Post
Hello Rale - I did a kind of workshop here in RCG some years ago .... the tutorial is still existing
Hansjoerg...
Hi Hansjoerg. Whats contained in the workshop files? Are they compressed zip files of like pdf's tutorials or .3dm rhino files? My PC was saying something to the effect 'may contain executable files' .. likely just a standard warning, but thought Id ask first.
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:11 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,084 Posts
Konstantin - Thank you!

PTX - there are no .exe files included - Since most of the beginners start the trial on 25 saves restriction, I added the final of each unit as a rhino .3dm file - so doing at least a whole unit in one step, you can go on with the backup save and so keep your 25 saves for the really important things after finishing the tutorial...

TUTORIAL = PDF

ADDON = 3DM

Both included into a compressed file!

That's all!

Hansjoerg
Old Dec 01, 2010, 07:21 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2 Posts
Thanks Harpye, I will play with Rhino following your tutorial...
What about plans where you dont have cross sections? Do you guess how it looks untill you get satisfied results? From some pictures for example...
rc_starter is offline Find More Posts by rc_starter
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:23 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,084 Posts
Most of the plans I do after the real appearance have sections some not and those things I do from my fantasy - but I don't know how to teach fantasy

e.g. like those

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3589481

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3418860

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3418859

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3328534

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3326584

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2946875

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2884695