SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:27 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
Pretty nice ( never used Rhino for mapping or texture.... I have a rather old version of C4D for that) from the point of handling Rhino is much more ergonomic but in rendering things I better take advantage of what I have instead of buying flamingo for another bunch of bucks
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Last edited by Harpye; Oct 29, 2009 at 08:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:47 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
All done with rhino's renderer. Flamingo isn't worth the money.

I took photos of oak here, also solartex and COREL DRAW has a lot of textured patterns which if seriously messed with can do turned metal or wood grain..the instrument panel is in fact corel silk curtains or something..

I've got loads of nice bitmaps of blank skies, wood, balsa, etc etc for use in artwork..

Turning scrappy model shots shot indoors on untidy workbenches into models flying in the sky, is huge fun..

If you want any full res, , just ask.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:56 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
I like the "living" ray tracing materials / active maps... like chrome and glass
just pure and true .... doing some global or spherical illumination / reflection ( just and only the performance of my pc seems to be a handicap on this...

and sometimes O do my own skins and mappings by stacking scheme and panellines using gimp or similar....
Last edited by Harpye; Oct 29, 2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:07 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
Above the proposals here the results
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:08 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
That's some nice stuff, guys. I agree that Rhino's render sucks but I've used it with great success to convey my designs to customers:
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:37 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
Really nice work!!! ( not only the rendering ...) you may export you files as a UDO and use Povray for rendering or download Truespace by Caligari which is free to dwonload since Microsoft bought Caligari
seems that you manufacture rather exclusive furniture - nice!!

My wooden attemps are rather low level.... since I do some ply parts for models I tried to manufature seveal smaller items just for fun

this knife has a blade from Leo II damast which is made from the gun barrel of
the German Battle tank ( alloy is not specified as it is a top secret thingy of Thyssen Krupp) the handle is kind of australian acacia ( splint included) which was fried in gun oil the plate in front is V2A and it bites pretty well.

I mostly do sketches and proposals this way, but normally work on the plain or isobates data...
some of my sketch style renderings below .. I'm not that skilled regarding design ( truely I'd like to be ) but as I don't have to earn money for a living with that stuff, the DIY level should be ok....

Here in Germany someone took the base of a wooden bed , removed the rost installed a plate two ball guided rails and spindles and a gantry and now has a wooden CNC Mill for about 1m x 2m x0.2m to work wood with .

Hansjoerg
Last edited by Harpye; Oct 30, 2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:04 AM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Thanks, Harpye. I had a small business designing and building exotic furniture out here for many years, and it's what got me to learn Rhino for presentation and for manufacturing (I started with version 2), though now I'm applying my modeling skills to aircraft design and learning/unlocking really wonderful features of the software that I never even knew existed. I need to watch the video tutorial one page back again because I think that there are some shortcuts shown that would speed up my process.

That CNC bed sounds like more work than simply constructing the chassis from the ground up!

Carl
Old Oct 30, 2009, 08:22 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
About the mill...A bit more work ... but it shows that it is possible!!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:04 PM
Houghton Lake MI
Joined Apr 2008
200 Posts
This looks interesting. I have some experience with Solid Works, and I have one of the older Autocad Light variants (2005 maybe?) Is Rhino the best bang for the buck to build 3d objects and slice them into formers and rib templates? How hard is it to learn after Solidworks and Autocad? I used solidworks once to take the formers and views from a 3 view and use them to make a 3d object. Then I picked the section locations I wanted and printed out formers from them. (It was a bear trying to lay out the stringers and notches, but I would have gotten better with practice) Will I be able to do the same thing with Rhino? How is it for setting up wings and creating airfoils? Is it possible to make curved and elliptical wings and keep the airfoils close?

It's a bunch of money, but still a lot cheaper than Solidworks. Is it more flexible than Design or Turbo? I don't really care about the 3D rendering or surfaces, as I would use it to print plans more than anything. (Along with laser cutting files and some sheet metal patterns)

Thanks for the tutorial, and thanks for the info,
Dave
cougdave is offline Find More Posts by cougdave
Old Oct 30, 2009, 04:36 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougdave View Post
This looks interesting. I have some experience with Solid Works, and I have one of the older Autocad Light variants (2005 maybe?) Is Rhino the best bang for the buck to build 3d objects and slice them into formers and rib templates?
I don't know for sure, but it is certainly all doable, and if I can learn it, not that hard..

Quote:
How hard is it to learn after Solidworks and Autocad?
Well I couldn;t make head nor tail of them..but that may be juts the way my brain (doesn't?) work.

Quote:
I used solidworks once to take the formers and views from a 3 view and use them to make a 3d object. Then I picked the section locations I wanted and printed out formers from them. (It was a bear trying to lay out the stringers and notches, but I would have gotten better with practice) Will I be able to do the same thing with Rhino?
Definitely.

See my 'how to do stringers' bit.

Quote:
How is it for setting up wings and creating airfoils? Is it possible to make curved and elliptical wings and keep the airfoils close?
Very much so My greatest problems to date have been filleting and blendng: Making a wing is not hard, neither is a fusealage, but a fillet between..is a different matter.

Quote:
It's a bunch of money, but still a lot cheaper than Solidworks. Is it more flexible than Design or Turbo? I don't really care about the 3D rendering or surfaces, as I would use it to print plans more than anything. (Along with laser cutting files and some sheet metal patterns)
Don't dismiss rendering. Its a fabulous way to see if the model is in fact the right shape, before you design anything more than the actual surface.

You may find if laser cutting, that you don't need plans at all. For example, with nothing to be cut out and tab and slot to line everything up, my latest secret project will have, for the fuselage, ONLY the crutch as an actual plan. The rest will be 3D drawings or renderings showing how the bits go together. Like a semi exploded diagram or series thereof.

That's huge work for 2D cad, but a piece of cake for 3D rendering.

I strongly recommend downloading the free demo - as long as you don't save or export anything, it wont run out timewise..and..ahem..a fresh installation of operating system will get you more saves and exports if you reinstall it...and a friendly student person would be a great way to get it cheaper..

Anyway, this is a typical wing rendered with a transparent skin..how much plan does it need?
Last edited by vintage1; Oct 30, 2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:00 PM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Dave,

In my previous company I bought Solidworks for 7 engineers and none of they could teach me how to use it (that does not say much for my ability to learn)!.I just bought Rhino 4.0 after using the demo version for a couple of full days and love it!!

I have found in my very early learning of 3D modeling that if you have experience as a traditional draftsman you have to shed the desire to build up the object from the frame and work to the skin as you would in 2D cad or drafting. Instead, you need to think of the finished "skin" as the object and create that first and then add the structure to support the finished shell. Basically opposite of how I was taught in structural engineering!

My first few attempts with my current Ducted Fan U-2 design and my Foxmoth design are proving that to me. On the foxmoth I natuarally tried to build it as I would in 2D by drawing up the structure in 2D and project that to 3D and then skin it. WRONG! need to think of the covering first and then supporting structure.

Anyways, Vintage and Harpye have been the convincing factors for me to buy Rhino and spend a few extra bucks which has been paying off in sanity alone so far!! I really like the way that Vintage puts the details into the photo descriptions for his tutoring.

Oh, and on top of all this I have not had a single crash of the full version yet (not true of my Autocad experiences in the past).

Float Flyer
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer
Last edited by Float Flyer; Oct 30, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:47 AM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
That's great, the community is expanding! Rhino has, hands down, the best UI out of any design program that I've used and as you've seen, it's extremely easy to learn. Fortunately that doesn't come at the cost of too much functionality (save animating).

Float Flyer, also I wouldn't go so far as to say one must think of a finished structure to enable one to design in a 3D program, since many forms are created via the extrusion commands or any number of other techniques (but extrusion is probably the most direct corollary) though visualizing your goal ahead of time is always a powerful method of applying your thoughts. Can't wait to see what you guys design!

Carl

Edit: Vintage, try projecting a curve (enlarged root section) to your fuselage side and sweeping two curved rails to create beautiful fillets.
Last edited by Haole; Oct 31, 2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:21 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Yup. I tried that. works fairly well except you don't necessarily get a tangent to the fuselage.

My biggest problem has been prop hubs. There you have an airfoil section blade that sweeps to a complete tangential blend of the hub.

So far the most successful technique has been to try and get the blade to swell correctly near the root in the original loft or sweep and weld the capped result to a vastly too deep hub with a boolean union, then apply the edge fillet round the root. Then slice the surplus hub off. But that fillet will fail if there are any sharp corners in the loft.

I've realised I've got a lot of useful bits and pieces of 3D objects that other people might use. Servos, linkages electric motors and so on.

RCgroups probably isn't the place to share them. But I've got a few servers on slow links lying around here and there.

So take anything you need from here:

www.tempest.templar.co.uk/downloads

Be warned its only got about 300kbps upload speed. And some of this stuff is BIG. I would appreciate it if you pull the bigger stuff after midnight UK time.

If anyone else has stuff they want to put there for common usage, email it to me. My email can handle BIG files - and I will put it there as well.
Last edited by vintage1; Oct 31, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 03:50 AM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Quote:
Yup. I tried that. works fairly well except you don't necessarily get a tangent to the fuselage.
If you need variable filleting to get a proper tangent, split your curves, create additional rails which have the proper profiles, then create the fillet in sections from curve networks or sweeping (whichever works best). You'll end up with a fillet that is perfect, but it is time consuming.
Quote:
My biggest problem has been prop hubs. There you have an airfoil section blade that sweeps to a complete tangential blend of the hub.
Your best bet doing an easy fillet here is to split the curve at the LE and TE, then do a variable fillet surface. Reduce the fillet to zero where it meets your sharp trailing edge and the fillet will work. Fiddle with the preview option continuously until you have adjusted all of the fillet handles to a satisfactory outcome, then execute.
Quote:
So far the most successful technique has been to try and get the blade to swell correctly near the root in the original loft or sweep and weld the capped result to a vastly too deep hub with a boolean union, then apply the edge fillet round the root. Then slice the surplus hub off. But that fillet will fail if there are any sharp corners in the loft.
Splitting the curve and/or surface as mentioned above will remedy this bug in the automated filleting tools.

Thanks for posting your files. I'll see if I can grab any parts that I use (the HS-55 I already made but some outrunners would be sweet).

Keep it coming guys (Happy Halloween BTW!)

Carl

Edit: V, your directory is locked down at the moment. Should I send you a PM? I'd like to check out your Turnigy outrunner. Thanks in advance
Last edited by Haole; Nov 01, 2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 04:20 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
Edit: V, your directory is locked down at the moment. Should I send you a PM? I'd like to check out your Turnigy outrunner. Thanks in advance
How odd. Files came out with wrong permissions. Must be something to do with VMware/windows/Samba/NFS interactions..anyway they are now legally accessible by the web server. Sorry.