Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 05, 2010, 02:10 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
I was not sure as the Me309 ( so my documentation) has a nose wheel

Already built one of the GE CU signed variant!!!
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:32 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,515 Posts
Kind of late to the party, but since we're talking about scripting, here's a quick command string I made to easily make 2D parts from a 3D model. It uses the Make2D command, but first it allows you to pick the CPlane of the object you want to draw so that you're guaranteed to get the right 2D view, then puts the part on the Top View CPlane and joins the curves. It has no doubt saved me hours over doing all the commands separately by hand. To use, simply copy the following text and go to File -> Properties -> Aliases and paste the text in, and give it a name. I call it DraftingHelper. Then you can use it as a regular command by typing the alias from the command prompt.

! _CPlane O _Pause -_Make2D _Pause D U _Enter _RemapCPlane V Top _CPlane W T _ProjecttoCPlane Y _Join

Comments: Set CPlane to an Object, allow user to pick the object to align CPlane to, Make2D, allow user to select part to draw, Drawing layout option, Current CPlane, Remap curves to top view, set CPlane to World Top view , Project curves to CPlane, Join curves.

Dan

P.S. I think I posted this awhile ago, like in December, but people may have missed it.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Last edited by Montag DP; Aug 21, 2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added comments and changed the commands slightly
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:05 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,515 Posts
Also, here's my latest project. I'm hopefully going to get it laser cut in time to build it before the flying season's over. I finished this one in a personal best ~2 weeks from start to laser cut parts.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 09:20 AM
G'day!
Joined Aug 2010
81 Posts
Hey fellow Rhino buddies!

I havn't been around these forums for a long time, but it's good to see some familiar faces. Hansjoerg, I'm almost 100% positive I started on that old tutorial you mentioned on the first page years ago with you and never finished it.

I havn't read the entire thread, but there are some great suggestions here. Poking my nose in to say hi and I'll be following.

EDIT:
And the image is off-topic, but I wanted to respond to vintage1's quote on the first page about Flamingo not being worth it. You have some great use of Rhinorender, but if you know what's happening with Flamingo...

Name: file_1862567.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 62.2 KB
Description:
UnitSeven is offline Find More Posts by UnitSeven
Last edited by UnitSeven; Aug 22, 2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: addendum
Old Aug 22, 2010, 09:32 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
380 Posts
Deleted
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Last edited by FlyDave; Aug 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:11 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Guess I remember that pic

But there are also a lot of other enderer for Rhino .. e.g. Hayabusa... ... I'm still sticking with C4D

Hj
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:10 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Just thought I would add another post to this thread.

I was trying to create a relief map from contour lines. Could noit get a surface to work properly, but if you have this problem, try the PATCH command.

Then have fun trying to apply a google earth image to the resultant surface!!
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:39 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
here's a quick command string I made to easily make 2D parts from a 3D model.
Dan
P.S. I think I posted this awhile ago, like in December, but people may have missed it.
Thanks for posting again. I DID miss it. This is cool. Not only have I never trying scripting, but I didn't know the "make_2D" command (hidden in the dimension menu). Just in time too. I'm about to start slicing parts out of my Komet.

For some reason the Join command doesn't work in my script, but does manually. I'll toy with it.

thanks,
Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Oct 07, 2010, 09:19 AM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,680 Posts
I have TurboCAD pro. It works well enough but you all have inspired me to try Rhino 4.0. This is going to be fun.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Oct 08, 2010, 08:13 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude View Post
I have TurboCAD pro. It works well enough but you all have inspired me to try Rhino 4.0. This is going to be fun.

Brian
I made the switch last year. I think you're going to love Rhino.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:40 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin S. View Post
Small trick.
1.Create in the Photoshop an additional layer. Fill with its color R159,G159,B159 .
2.The main layer is changed to the Darken аnd a transparency 25%.

Your eyes will be grateful to you

The result looks such

Konstantine's method works just fine, but leaves you with black lines on a gray background. Which can be difficult to trace over and see the trace line. As with most everything in PhotoShop, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I prefer white lines on a medium gray background. Much easier to see the traced-over line.

Here is my suggestion.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Nov 01, 2010, 04:28 PM
Designing something...
Joined Jan 2004
1,680 Posts
Doing wings in Rhino

I've been playing with Rhino for a few weeks now so I know just enough to get into trouble. I was hoping to get some advice from those more experienced with Rhino. I'm trying use Rhino to design a Horten flying wing.

Since I've already done much of the initial work in TurboCAD I imported the ribs and basic 2D layout information via a DXF file into Rhino. At that point I was going to:

1) Loft the outer surface of the wing
2) Offset the outer surface to create the inside skin surface (either as a solid or separate surfaces??)
3) Extrude surfaces through the "wing" for each rib.
4) Generate curves from the intersection between the extruded surfaces and the offset skin for the ribs.

However, this didn't work out too well! Lofting the outer surface seemed to workout okay. However, trying to create the inside surface from an offset polysurface doesn't seemed to be a good idea--the offset surface ends up as a bunch of overlapping surfaces and polysurfaces.

I even tried to offset the ribs individually intending to loft the inside surface separately (btw the ribs import as curves. However the curve offset function just seems to make an offset copy of the rib the exact same size. The offset work just fine for this in TurboCAD.

Anyway, I hope that this make some sense.

Can someone recommend a better direction? Short of offsetting the individual ribs in TurboCAD I hoping there is a better Rhino based solution. Thoughts anyone? I can post or email files if someone is willing to help.

Thanks!!!
Brian
Old Nov 01, 2010, 04:49 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Would be helpful to pst some pictures of what you come from and what you got to setup on your problem and not from scratch!
Old Nov 01, 2010, 04:49 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude View Post
I've been playing with Rhino for a few weeks now so I know just enough to get into trouble.
Thanks!!!
Brian
It may sound simplistic, but try harder.....
You really need to become expert in each command before implementing it in an actual project. Trust me, it's the quick way.
simplify your curves before your loft them. Try all of the options in loft to get a clean simple surface, then it will offset properly.
Develop a layer system and save all of your layout geometry on unique layers. Who knows, you may have to back track as some point.
don't use intersection, use section to create curves from surfaces.
create solids of all parts and check the model for errors, then "Make 2D" from those solids.
Ask one specific question to get the real gurus to respond.

happy modeling,
Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Nov 01, 2010, 07:15 PM
Designing something...
Joined Jan 2004
1,680 Posts
Doing wings in Rhino w/ screen shots

@Harpye - As requested here are some screen shots. I've tried to add comments to each picture. Picture three shows the inner surface(s) with overlapping trailing edge. Pricture fours show the corrected trailing edge. I was also able to join some of the surfaces using Surface>Edge Tools>Join 2 Naked Edges.

@Kent - I absolutely agree with you. I've been through all of the level one and half of the level two tutorials that come with Rhino and I've also been doing throw-away models for the last two weeks.

That said I'm not looking to have someone do this for me...I'm just looking for a nudge in the right direction. In the end I ended adding additional rib offsets in TurboCAD and importing them into Rhino seems to work. But...There has to be a better way!

Thanks!
Brian