HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:38 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Anything possible to do by mouseclics could also be done in parametrizable way by rhino script... ( e.g.) I built a virtual machine space and actually try myself in writing some nc code generator from 3D... But Rhino script is not that well documented compared with VBS . Only half way reliable source for documentation seems to be Rhino 101...
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:34 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Guys, these are two absolutely must-have scripts for making airplanes.

The first is for importation of airfoils from .dat files and the second is exportation of .dat coordinates of your own airfoils.

First, download the UIUC database from here:

http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/a..._database.html

Next, use the script. Select Tools>Rhinoscript>Load and point at the directory where you saved the script file. Then repeat only choosing Run instead of Load, and look into Selig's database to import thousands of well known sections.

Carl

Edit: The other beauty of this script is that you can download .dat files of your favorite airfoil if it's not in the database already, and be lofting wings in a matter of minutes.
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
Last edited by Haole; Jul 29, 2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:32 PM
Where's all the wind gone
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
142 Posts
Hi Harpye,

I've actually found the Rhino Script help file pretty good.
It's not the best "beginners" guide, but the function definitions are pretty well described and get you through most things.
Of course, I'd still like to see more...

Shane.
ShaneW is offline Find More Posts by ShaneW
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:45 PM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
142 Posts
Hey Vintage,

What does scripting do?? Well that's a big question and I'm not going to answer it fully - don't have the time, however I've give you an example.

A few years ago I started playing around with Rhino as a friend of mine had a CNC router sitting around not doing much and I wanted to make use of it. We were building 60inch slope racers and I (after much tearing out of hair) finally created a nice fuselage surface.

Next I wanted to add a wing fillet. I eventually did this and realised that the process could be repeated for most fuselage surfaces.
I decided to have a look at rhino scripts and see if they could help me to automate the process. Given the code is based on VBS and I'm an old VB programmer from way back, it wasn't long before I started on a script to make it happen.

So I now have a script (amost others), that allow me to select a fuselage surface, a desired wing profile, incidence, width and height (for the fillet) and generate a nice wing fillet.
The process now runs in a matter of seconds rather than me having to spend hours doing each one by hand. (we won't count the weeks I spent getting the script right, but that's part of the fun!)
I've since converted it into a Rhino plug-in which can be added into the standard Rhino menu and provides the function from there.

So my definition is that scripts help you automate processes that you perform regularly, with the intention of reducing the time in doing it manually.

I'll throw on a couple of images for the wing fillet I jut described in a minute.

Shane.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:01 PM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
142 Posts
So here's some images...

You may notice the Canopy also...that was created using another rhino script.

Shane.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:08 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Nice wing fillet. They have been a popular item of discussion here. Will you be sharing your script plugin?

Carl
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:37 PM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
142 Posts
Thanks Carl.

Good question. Now here's where I might sound like a bit of a d#@k. I've actually been working on packaging them up as a commercial product. Nothing too expensive, but a lot of work went into them. Haven't taken the plunge yet as to offer them as a product as I would want to have them a bit more robust.

But, having said that, I'm more than happy to share my knowledge on the subject and provide some hints and tricks, etc.

Hope you won't hold this against me too much.

Shane.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:44 PM
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Oct 2006
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneW View Post
Thanks Carl.

Good question. Now here's where I might sound like a bit of a d#@k. I've actually been working on packaging them up as a commercial product. Nothing too expensive, but a lot of work went into them. Haven't taken the plunge yet as to offer them as a product as I would want to have them a bit more robust.

But, having said that, I'm more than happy to share my knowledge on the subject and provide some hints and tricks, etc.

Hope you won't hold this against me too much.

Shane.
how much are you thinking you want for them
roger2525 is offline Find More Posts by roger2525
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:47 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneW View Post
I've actually been working on packaging them up as a commercial product. Nothing too expensive, but a lot of work went into them. Shane.
Go for it. Im customer #1. Rhino fillets are my arch nemesis as evidencd by my several posts.
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:00 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Yeah, it's completely reasonable to sell your code. I think that you will find a lot of support from users like us who are serious about design. Don't expect to get rich or anything, but by all means go for getting compensated for your hard work. I'll stand by as interested in the 'package' deal.

Carl
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:00 PM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
142 Posts
Thanks for the support.

I've been mulling this over a fair while now, but I haven't sat down and figured out a price. It won't be much though. I'm not in it to make money, just offset a little of price for the hobby (if I'm lucky!)

Something to note - I have a number of features so I may look at offering them idividually or as a package.

For example I have the following:
Create Wing - Enables you to create a wing surface and associated female mould for CNC. Using a DAT file for te profile and the Leading and Trailing edges. Does bends for turn wing tips or gull-wings, and twists for wash in/out as well as dihedral.

Wing Fillet - As already described.

Create Canopy - Define a canopy line, have a fuselage surface and it will separate the fuz including lips for the canopy to sit on (cool for creating moulds!). Hope to include an extra soon of producing the canopy mould as well.

Create Formers - This is a big one for me. It allows you to take a fuselage surface, define former and stringer reference lines, and create a full set of formers and stringers which have intersecting cutouts from each. This takes about 50% of the work off creating built up kits - which is something I do.

Plus I've got a few other smaller scripts that add value in other places.

Let me think about it a bit more and I'll post the details up. Thanks.

Shane.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Last edited by Arbo; Apr 15, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:18 PM
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Oct 2006
280 Posts
I am inline for it
roger2525 is offline Find More Posts by roger2525
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:46 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Quote:
Create Formers - This is a big one for me. It allows you to take a fuselage surface, define former and stringer reference lines, and create a full set of formers and stringers which have intersecting cutouts from each.
This would be really nice and would save me some time. Keep us posted.

Carl
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:05 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
As I got into this issue in VERY TRIAL AND ERROR based way... I got Rhino 101 scripted documentation and some help from the Newsgroup / Feeds ... would you link the reference material you used for the code?????

I recently plan to concept a 3D printer ( Gypsum printer) and thought to generate the coding matrix by Rhino script.... And I do gather all the information I'm able to get!
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye