HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:59 AM
Nitro Freak
Canada, Quebec, Saguenay
Joined Jul 2008
540 Posts
Discussion
Walkera 4G6 - Mods, Repairs, Setups

Hi guys, just though we could start a thread for the G6 mods and customization?

my first mod been the tail servo link. changed the flexy .8mm metal rod by a 1mm CF rod and ive cut the guide completly which i found that it did bind the rod more than anything else.. and my rod was bent out of the box.

also moved the esc on the top of the 4in1 to make some room for 400mah 20c pack
give perfect balance w/ canopy and bring the CG up a little

.8 metal rod .53g vs .18g for the 1mm cf one

removed the screw on the horn of the cyclic servos.
AUW 88.6g w/ 400 mah 20c pack
Dark-Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark-Angel
Last edited by Dark-Angel; Sep 19, 2009 at 03:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:26 AM
Nitro Freak
Canada, Quebec, Saguenay
Joined Jul 2008
540 Posts
next mod will be shortened .8mm bullet connector on the esc/motor

and posibly some mods to the skid to allow a better fit for the canopy
my list is long but ill go ez and take it slow 1 mod at time

what mod(s) do guys have made so far? or plan to do?
Last edited by Dark-Angel; Sep 18, 2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:38 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Nice work on the tail control rod. The original pics of the 4g6 had the metal rod bending down through the guide....at least they straightened it but as with most thin metal "push rods" far better to go cf. Is your tail response any better?

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:55 AM
inventor of flames decals.
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Dec 2008
778 Posts
nice! how did you get that on the ballink connectors? ca? cause there is a thread cut in the orig. metal rod.

also im sure this will be a great thread, got my 4G6 a couple of days ago and i already "see" some mods

edit: heres my first mod, or repair rather. flys again. better to replace the arm to get finer resolution and the rod in center but for now it works until i get spares.
robZulu is offline Find More Posts by robZulu
Last edited by robZulu; Sep 18, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:58 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Maybe the "Gaui" technique would work well...cf tube with id that matches the stock rods and ca the threaded ends in.
Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:17 AM
Nitro Freak
Canada, Quebec, Saguenay
Joined Jul 2008
540 Posts
yep, rezised the hole of the ballcups with a 1.18mm drill bit(dont have 1mm :/) and ca glued the ballcups on the rod

feel abit stronger than the stock setup.

i made the mod tonight and the temp is really crapy this morning so.. no flight with the cf rod yet.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:24 AM
Nitro Freak
Canada, Quebec, Saguenay
Joined Jul 2008
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robZulu
edit: heres my first mod, or repair rather. flys again. better to replace the arm to get finer resolution and the rod in center but for now it works until i get spares.
nice repair trick i would like to have that pitch link made out of aluminium with a less slopy braket and with the arm under the case.. could flip the servo.. would look like the bigger VP tail heli
Old Sep 18, 2009, 09:30 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Angel
Hi guys, just though we could start a thread for the G6 mods and customization?

my first mod been the tail servo link. changed the flexy .8mm metal rod by a 1mm CF rod and ive cut the guide completly which i found that it did bind the rod more than anything else.. and my rod was bent out of the box.

also moved the esc on the top of the 4in1 to make some room for 400mah 20c pack
give perfect balance w/ canopy and bring the CG up a little

.8 metal rod .53g vs .18g for the 1mm cf one

removed the screw on the horn of the cyclic servos.
AUW 88.6g w/ 400 mah 20c pack
I would move the battery. It gets warm and will heat up your 4in1. Also it will cause vibrations with your gyro.
Not sure what is meant by the canopy fitting better. It is the best fitting canopy Walkera has ever made.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:26 AM
Marty
USA, PA, Media
Joined Aug 2008
1,431 Posts
I tossed the little horisontal fin, just don't like the looks of them on any heli.

For the servo rod, I just screwed the ball links down farther and moved the servo to compensate. From the factory they were loose and floppy on the ends of the rod. The CF rod mod looks like a good one.

Trying to make a paper canopy that fits well, my photo paper is too heavy, they come out the same weight as the origional, got some textured greeting card samples that are stiff but lighter, and give the canopy a cool look, got to get more of that paper. Wasting lots of plain paper testing shapes, but getting closer...
mrschultz02 is offline Find More Posts by mrschultz02
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:34 AM
Nitro Freak
Canada, Quebec, Saguenay
Joined Jul 2008
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony
I would move the battery. It gets warm and will heat up your 4in1. Also it will cause vibrations with your gyro.
Not sure what is meant by the canopy fitting better. It is the best fitting canopy Walkera has ever made.
your probaly right about the temp and vibs, ill still try it though in the worst case the lipo will go back into the batt. tray

well.. i agree with best and canopy walkera parts, but not the fitting part. well its not that bad, just abit tight..
anyways. tryed to mod the skid and it didnt work.
4#3B canopy fit better/eazier
but since i made the mod its eazier to put it on

added some grips to the skids.. should help for the lift offs

v. fin is too long and the boom doesnt sit parallel to the surface, makes the rear of the skids float.
had to remove couple of mm
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:50 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,080 Posts
Here are some pics of mine. I replaced all the metal head parts with plastic. The metal is 1.4g heavier and ALOT more slop. The metal mixing arm assembly on the G6 and G3 SUCK. That is wher most of the slop is. It looks nicer Black also. I have the CJ Power minus Black covering 400mAh 20c batt. It is lighter and last as long as stock. I also have the Hyperion 450mAh 25c batts but need to customize the LG for that. For now, I can slip it under the batt tray in between the stock anopy when I want to use it. I used the Mia canopy(has ALOT of clear on it)and can lose up to 1g if not cleared. I used like 3 coats. I am using the Dex blades. The heli has a little less lift but is real nimble with the Dex blades. My AUW is 81.5 with the battery.
LOL, I had white skid savers on mine but 2 fell off. Did not shrink the tube enough. I used white and a lighter so was trying not to turn it black.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:05 PM
Marty
USA, PA, Media
Joined Aug 2008
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Angel
well.. i agree with best and canopy walkera parts, but not the fitting part. well its not that bad, just abit tight..
anyways. tryed to mod the skid and it didnt work.
4#3B canopy fit better/eazier
but since i made the mod its eazier to put it on
Tight? Mine doesn't touch a thing other than the skids and the grommets, in fact there's too much empty space in there, canopy could be smaller and lighter...

Must be because you put the ESC + connectors up on top of the RX, I can see your canopy is sitting higher than mine.

I tried putting the esc down on the side of the battery cage, did keep it a little cooler, but now have it back where it was originally, on the side of the rx, but used thicker tape to keep heat and vibration away from the rx. Needing to take the skids off a lot to work on the tail gear makes putting the rx on the battery cage a pain.
mrschultz02 is offline Find More Posts by mrschultz02
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:11 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,080 Posts
I almost forgot. The BEST mod to date and verified by dkfuji is the 16t I got from RcHobbyHelicopter. I tried the 14,16,18 and the 16t was the best all around. Also gonna try those oversky 400mAh 20c pack he sells. I get them today but will be testing in a wind storm. It is windy today. I can say this for sure, If you can fly well, you can fly the 4G6 in just about any wind. Of course no 3D though.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:48 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Just flew mine this morning and it is a rocket. Climbout is sick and it is very, very quick. I had to actually turn down the swash to keep her in the park!!! I am currently using the old Wk 003 motor w/16t, metal head (will go plastic when I bend something), paper canopy and 1s2p 25c lipo packs. AUW is still 86g.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Sep 18, 2009, 01:10 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji
Just flew mine this morning and it is a rocket. Climbout is sick and it is very, very quick. I had to actually turn down the swash to keep her in the park!!! I am currently using the old Wk 003 motor w/16t, metal head (will go plastic when I bend something), paper canopy and 1s2p 25c lipo packs. AUW is still 86g.
How do you turn down the swash?
Site Sponsor