HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:17 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,697 Posts
Anyway, those ***** smart$$$ said I speed up the video to make it look fast...

haha! they said the world record for this old boat is 78mph and mine is going 45mph.

Oh well, soon or later we'll see who's right and who's wrong. It's funny when people look at thing and it hard to to believe, they said it's fake!

Anything I own is either shi$ty, or stupid fast.
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:27 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Don't let 'em get you down, Vu. They also said it was dumb to use a high voltage set-up, becuase none of them had done it before, nor really understood it's advantages.

FWIW, I'll trade you the crappy airboat I made for something fast.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:28 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,712 Posts
Vu did motor throw the magnets?
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:17 AM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,697 Posts
Well, it twisted the hell out of the flex shaft.

Threw 3 magnet.

No wonder it didn't seem going as fast.
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:45 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Charles, the CG is currently appx 3 15/16" from the TE of the wing.
Tim,

I was watching an older Paul Naton video - Handlaunch Building Clinic - the other night and he mentioned that he balances his XP3 at 85-90mm measured from the root leading edge. 90mm is a full 1/4" behind the Neutral Point on Mark Drela's Supergee II plans, and the XP3 wing is basically the same. The horizontal tails are a bit different, but not enough to matter. I'm going to shift my CG much further back, and hopefully that will take care of the ballooning when I hit lift.

Cheers, Charles

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:05 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
I'm not certain, but I think you're working in the wrong direction.

In my understanding, from the perspective of "extremes", a rearward CG makes the plane MORE responsive, showing lift better, but making the plane "twitchy" and difficult to control. This sounds like what you're experiencing when you use the word "balooning" to describe what happens when you hit lift.

A forward CG makes the plane more stable, but it doesn't indicate (as) well.

I still haven't flown your plane, so I can't say for certain.

I might try to fly a bit "early" on Saturday...9-10am, for a few hours. If you're available, let's get together @ the "auxillary" field.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:09 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipf-geier View Post
Tim & I were discussing 72 Mhz receivers, and the Corona 6 CH came up. Synthesized, so no more crystals, but ... this is from a post at hobbycity.com. I noticed the same problem on the 4 Ch synth RX. Seemed like I needed two or more clicks when trimming before the control surface responded. For now, I'll stick with the HiTec Neutrons and crystals.

The output signal only has about 100 steps for the 1ms to 2ms range of each channel. The old non-computerized transmitter and receivers I flew in the past had essentially infinite resolution. Newer transmitters loose resolution in both the transmitter encoding and in the receiver DSP filtering. The RP8D1 outputs are in 10us steps. 1ms/10us = 100 steps. With my Futaba 9C transmitter, this means the RP8D1 will not respond to the first couple of steps of trim change (each trim change results in abut 5us change in the transmitted pulse width).

The receiver is fine for sport flying but if you have a plane with sensitive controls, you will find that when you give a momentary up elevator or down elevator command, the plane will respond as if your servos had lots of dead-band.

Update: I ordered a Corona synthesized 8 Ch from bphobbies.com, which arrived today. Nothing like a little test on the kitchen counter to see how it behaves:

Name: P1010635.JPG
Views: 54
Size: 99.0 KB
Description:

The laser pointer is mounted on a Hyperion DS-09 servo, and points to a wall exactly 144" 0.00001" away. At that distance and at small angles, 1" spot movement is app. 0.3125, or 1/144th of 45 full travel.

I moved the stick and exercised the trim, and have to conclude that the servo positioning is flawless. Resolution was spot on, and repeatability and hysteresis less than 1/2" on the wall.

Conclusion: I'm getting another Corona. No not the glitchy 4 channel, but the 6 CH or 8 Ch.

Side note: The Hyperion DS-09 servo is very responsive, but when returning to the neutral position, it stops just short of the goal, thinks for app. 1/2 second, and then snaps into position. Looks like a poorly tuned PID loop, and it's not the receiver, since it doesn't have a clue what the servo is doing.

I also tried a Hitec HS-45, which jitters like crazy - my HS-45 aileron servos are almost always buzzing - and just seems a bit erratic. Tried another one, with the same results. Maybe it's the lot, or maybe digital servos need to be accessible for tuning, which is one of the great things about the Hyperion. I'm going to use this setup in the future to tume and calibrate DS-09s, which simply rock.

Cheers, Charles

Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:28 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
I'm not certain, but I think you're working in the wrong direction.

In my understanding, from the perspective of "extremes", a rearward CG makes the plane MORE responsive, showing lift better, but making the plane "twitchy" and difficult to control. This sounds like what you're experiencing when you use the word "balooning" to describe what happens when you hit lift.

A forward CG makes the plane more stable, but it doesn't indicate (as) well.

I still haven't flown your plane, so I can't say for certain.

I might try to fly a bit "early" on Saturday...9-10am, for a few hours. If you're available, let's get together @ the "auxillary" field.
Which field is that - not the one CASL uses on Saturdays?

We'll see how it goes with a rearward CG. From what I've read, my plane exhibits symptoms of CG too far forward - sluggish response, pulls out of dive test, although I've seldom been high enough to try one, and it launches vertical without elevator preset.

Saturday would be good. Should be warm enough for thermals, and you can show me how to find one with a 90 ft. launch. The challenge is on!

Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:31 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
That is the correct field. Other glider guys might be more understanding of the idea of "comfortable airspace" than some of the early morning crew at the bowl.

Those symptoms DO sound like you're working in the right direction.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:54 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
That is the correct field. Other glider guys might be more understanding of the idea of "comfortable airspace" than some of the early morning crew at the bowl.

Those symptoms DO sound like you're working in the right direction.
CASL Contests are on the third Saturday of each month. Not sure if it's happening, since Pres Chico is moving to CA. Either way, George and Charlie might be there also. I'll be there around 9 am.

I like the idea of "comfortable airspace" - if that field isn't large enough for us all, then "Houston, we have a problem ..."

Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:10 AM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Oh. I didn't realize this was a contest weekend. IIRC, G-Mo and C-Mo are going to fly at the ElDo contest in Cali. Prepping for the TS, maybe?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:52 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,508 Posts
George and I will be in Long Beach, CA on Saturday for the Eldorado contest. It sounds like there will be very few if any CASL folks at the field this Saturday but I don't know that for sure.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:14 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,201 Posts
If you guys need a break from all this driving and competing...
Enjoy!

Edward Khil - Official Trolololo (2 min 42 sec)

Jun C.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:03 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
If you guys need a break from all this driving and competing...
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32UGD0fV45g

Jun C.
I'm speechless! Lol

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:15 AM
Thermals the path to elevation
Joined Jul 2004
3,282 Posts
I could be wrong, but that looks like worse lip syncing than Milli-Vanilli or Ashley Simpson.
RotorCycle is online now Find More Posts by RotorCycle