HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:53 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
Tim, I think you are seeing the possibilities correctly. We may have to add a floor to the AUFD such as no acro below 30 feet or so. Plus you HAVE to catch for the flight to count...

I won't let just anyone throw my DLG's.. Lol, I would have to see them throw first before getting in the thick of things... Tim, you are already checked out with the orange Blaster2 as far as throwing is concerned! Going from mode2 to mode1 might get exciting...

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2009, 01:04 AM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,217 Posts
Oh...yikes - forgot about Charlie and George with their backwards across the pond mode-1 transmitters. Once again they are the exception and might be just throwers. I don't think any mode-2 flyer should grab a mode-1 transmitter and attempt this. EDIT - after thinking about this, the person holding the transmitter will never change. We only rotate throwers, so no one would need to grab a transmitter that's not theirs.

I didn't mention for this task there will be 2-heats to split up the pilots so everyone can time and throw. This is totally experimental, and we'll refine how this would work over the next few weeks. If we get a few more pilots to sign up, we'll be moving to 2-heats for all rounds. Right now we have (9) pilots.
RotorCycle is offline Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Last edited by RotorCycle; Nov 24, 2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Thought about this for a minute ;^)
Old Nov 24, 2009, 01:07 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Ok. For some reason i was envisioning people launching, doing 3 1/2 rolls on their climb out, ending up inverted, pulling the stick back into a vertical downline untill half of their launch height was gone, yanking back on the stick to get their three loops while trying to finish the last one as low as possible, and throwing out the flaps to get it slowed down in time for a catch.

IDK why I was thinking that was how it was going to go down... a combo of epoxy and CA fumes, maybe?

Lee, yeah, if that were the case (splitting the other task into 2 heats), my "concerns" are groundless. Also, the way i read it was that the pilot would use his own plane, it would just be that the timer would throw ever other flight, so Mode1/Mode2 issues shouldn't be a concern, only right handed vs. left handed throws. That also brings up the issue of "how will the timer time, if he's throwing?"

Maybe I just don't understand all the tasks well enough, just yet.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Last edited by carlsoti; Nov 24, 2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 01:16 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
With the full size DLG, a roll on climb, a roll during level off and a roll at the beginning of the downline would work followed by three snappy loops with full flaps already deployed out to do it...

I think the mini's could do it all on the upline

Charlie

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz,,,,....
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:08 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz,,,,....
I'm with you, there. I often bore myself to sleep, and I'll be going there shortly.

I "think" all my gluing/epoxing is done. I "might" be ready for javelin-style trimming by Wednesday!
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:23 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,217 Posts
Excellent - Tim will begin his journey to the dark(er) side soon
Old Nov 24, 2009, 08:20 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle View Post
Trying to lock in the CB DLG event for Dec-12th or 13th. The plan is to have 1-heat with 6-rounds. In between each round will be a 10-15 min intermission for CB folks to fly planes and helis.

So...we need 4-5 more wacky tasks. We will NOT be adhering to F3K rules. Vu's submission is a task where the pilot and timer alternate the throws. This might be good for the 2x4 or last two flights task.

If Dan and Alvin can score this, another idea is an all up first down task. Launch - 3 loops - 3 rolls - land.

Who knows...let's hear your ideas. But at least 3 tasks should involve some display of TD skill.
I guess Brad will get to throw Vu's Stobel-2 hope no tip strike. Vu are you sure about that?
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Nov 24, 2009, 08:42 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,724 Posts
1) Where do we sign up?
2) How about doing the 4 x2.5 minute task?

-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 09:10 AM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,695 Posts
I don't think you guy understand my task idea.

Tag team: Randomly picked a partner + a timer, so there's 3 guys, the timer is doing his timing. 1st Pilot throw, get his best time land catch, at the catch the 2nd pilot can launch HIS OWN PLANE and fly his own radio... land. Add the two pilot time together for that round.

10mins window, 1 throw per each pilot.

This task is really to work out some of our Arizona guys attitude about DLG.... hahaha! j/k
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Old Nov 24, 2009, 09:27 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,217 Posts
We will have sign ups once our two CD's confirm the 12th is a green light. Hopefully in the next day or two.

OK - Vu has clarified his task description, and we need to practice the all-up first-down task this weekend to refine those requirements. We'll add in Dave's 4x2.5, so need (3) more tasks.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:18 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,724 Posts
Sounds good Lee. Looks like the F3k tasks will be evolving and changing over the next several years. The 4 x2.5 looks like it might be one of the tasks added on in the future.
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:34 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helisfreak View Post
I don't think you guy understand my task idea.

Tag team: Randomly picked a partner + a timer, so there's 3 guys, the timer is doing his timing. 1st Pilot throw, get his best time land catch, at the catch the 2nd pilot can launch HIS OWN PLANE and fly his own radio... land. Add the two pilot time together for that round.

10mins window, 1 throw per each pilot.

This task is really to work out some of our Arizona guys attitude about DLG.... hahaha! j/k

Cool idea, Vuuuuster! Just like a Relay race where the runners pass a baton to continue.
What's the max flight time?

Jun C.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:01 AM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,695 Posts
Yo Jun.

Vusster Task

10mins Window, 2.5 each max 4 flight, 2 flight per each pilot, must alternate. So it will be like this.

1st Pilot launch, get 2:30s and land, second pilot launch to get his time, then the first pilot again, then back to the second pilot.

Add the total time, both pilot get the same score that they made.

Unless something got really screw up, where Charlie and George is on the same team. I thought it would be nice to have a new pilot screw up the score for the good PILOT.... haha! We would never let George and Charlie team up would we? nevaaa... nevaaa ever...

Just to ensure this will never happen, this is how we need to random select the team.

First, pick out 5 pilot that are fairly decent and pick 5 that are Pro, then we cross them randomly.

Vu-
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:15 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,217 Posts
Don't know that we have (5) pros, but everyone is well above decent. We probably have at least (5) HIGH launchers, but maybe it should be totally random with one exception.

Pilots who have common DNA can NOT be on the same team.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:23 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
I heard a nasty rumor that I was adopted...

Charlie