HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:37 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2008
188 Posts
Sounds good to me too.

But won't we then need heats not just rounds? If we only have 8 to 10 who sign up and we do heats then only 4 or 5 planes will be up at a time. That won't be very entertaining for the CBer's. LOL
We will need more people to fly with us.

Or the pro's could all fly mini's .
bikenbrad is offline Find More Posts by bikenbrad
Last edited by bikenbrad; Nov 20, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:08 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
uh...yeah... ummm.... I didn't consider that when i made the suggestion.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:46 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2008
188 Posts
Maybe we could all fly at once but not get counted together.

How many people would consider themselves novices ?

Maybe we could make you pro by then or ready for open class.
Last edited by bikenbrad; Nov 20, 2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:45 AM
I'm ahead of Rob
Tempe, AZ
Joined May 2005
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Astro View Post
Road to Casa Grande.

Can anyone confirm that this is the location of the McCartney Rd flying site in Casa Grande?

Thx.

Jim
Yes, that is the site, get off I-10 and head south west, go down to all the white gas pipes sticking out of the ground, turn left and follow the dirt road to the next set of pipes and turn right and drive out to the runway. Parking is on the south side of the runway in about the middle. Nice group of guys, alot like the CB and similar arrangements....no club, at least the last time I was there.
dvlflyr14 is offline Find More Posts by dvlflyr14
Last edited by dvlflyr14; Nov 20, 2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 05:59 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2008
188 Posts
Thanks for finding my wheel Vu !
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:51 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Ok, I've got yet another dumb question that I couldn't find the answer to.

I'm just about ready to bury the servos in the wings. (The wiring is already done and verified) Do I "center" the arm on the servo, or do I offset it for mechanical differential, favoring the "down flap" setting?

Knowing that, idealy, there will be significantly greater down flap than up, it seems reasonable to think that added mechanical differential "might" help, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:28 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,132 Posts
Some people cog the servo arm one notch towards the aileron. Give them a touch bit more flap travel.

Use the closest hole on the servo arm, while the aileron control arm is on the 'outer' hole.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:26 PM
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
Thanks DVLFLYR14
AZ_Astro is offline Find More Posts by AZ_Astro
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:30 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2008
188 Posts
I would say it depends on the wing/plane and your radio. You have seen how much flaps the Blaster needs to stop and the ailerons bind when they go up about 20ish degrees so on that wing we have set our arms back by about twenty degrees.

Are you going to be at the CB tomorrow ? Guz
I'm charging up now.
Last edited by bikenbrad; Nov 21, 2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:32 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Thanks Guz and Brad. Seeing as it's the first one I've built, I'll just have to guess on most of the stuff. The worst that happens is I set it up wrong, and have to change things after I have someone else look it all over.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:37 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
Joined Jul 2004
3,209 Posts
Trying to lock in the CB DLG event for Dec-12th or 13th. The plan is to have 1-heat with 6-rounds. In between each round will be a 10-15 min intermission for CB folks to fly planes and helis.

So...we need 4-5 more wacky tasks. We will NOT be adhering to F3K rules. Vu's submission is a task where the pilot and timer alternate the throws. This might be good for the 2x4 or last two flights task.

If Dan and Alvin can score this, another idea is an all up first down task. Launch - 3 loops - 3 rolls - land.

Who knows...let's hear your ideas. But at least 3 tasks should involve some display of TD skill.
RotorCycle is online now Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:18 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,758 Posts
1 heat with 6 rounds? Is that the same as everyone flies in the same heat and there are 6 tasks? Explanation please.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:24 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,209 Posts
Yes - you are correct. In most contests there may be 2-3 heats per round, but we don't expect that many fliers. The CB quadrants are so large we would have no problem with 8-12 flyers. If more sign up we can consider a second round. We're wide open to suggestions and changes ;^)
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:37 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle View Post
Vu's submission is a task where the pilot and timer alternate the throws. This might be good for the 2x4 or last two flights task.

If Dan and Alvin can score this, another idea is an all up first down task. Launch - 3 loops - 3 rolls - land.

Who knows...let's hear your ideas. But at least 3 tasks should involve some display of TD skill.
You know, I'm new and all, but I'm not so certain about those proposed tasks.

For Vu's suggestion:
If "everyone" is flying in one heat, we might end up with people even newer than me timing. People that have NEVER thrown, or even attempted a DLG launch. This could lead to an unessicarily expensive contest for some, and may destroy the ONLY dlg of others. In a larger, local contest, where there are multiple heats with other dlg flyers doing the timing, I could see this being an interesting task, elevating the heat to more of a "best team" type situation.

For the AUFD suggestion:
This could lead to a possible situation where people are looping and rolling very close to the ground, in an attempt to get the best time possible, and might make it....um... difficult or impossible to have contests at the CB in the future.

Feel free to tell me I'm utterly clueless and to keep my mouth shut, if you feel that's appropriate.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:49 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,209 Posts
I don't think any of these items will be an issue if we use good judgement. If a timer does not want to throw they don't need to throw. This is an option for the DLG pair to follow or not, and there would be no penalties. It's just another way to even out the advantages a high launcher would have in a task. At all events to date, all but 1-2 of the timers have thrown a DLG and common sense would dictate it's not a good idea for a new thrower to start learning during a contest.

As for the (3) loops, (3) rolls, and land, we do this when practing launches and want to get down fast for a re-launch. We plan on practicing this in the next few weeks, and may adjust the loops and rolls down to 2 each based on the elapsed times. It's a good idea to perform the maneuvers up high or well up on the climb-out, and then dive down full flaps to stop the clock.

Don't know yet, and don't even know if these will be the actual tasks. These are just the suggestions received to date.
Last edited by RotorCycle; Nov 24, 2009 at 01:24 AM.