HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,042 Posts
Brook trout @ 10,500' after a day of backpacking. Yep, hard to beat that!

Looks awesome Hugh, where was this?
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:42 PM
Where did my plane go???
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Brook trout @ 10,500' after a day of backpacking. Yep, hard to beat that!

Looks awesome Hugh, where was this?
All in the Sierras...

The first two shots were taken in Onion Valley. We hit several lakes(49mile round trip) in 4 days! Trout for breakfast,lunch, and dinner

The third pic was somewhere over by New Army Pass two months ago. I forget the name of the lake.

HUGH
HHARRIS is offline Find More Posts by HHARRIS
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,335 Posts
Is that Young Lakes? Looks familiar!
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:57 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
OK talk'n fish'n and Arizona. My most memorable fishing trip in Arizona was at the bottom of the Grand Canyon in December years ago. I stayed at Phantom Ranch on the Bright Angle Creek there. On top of the rim it was cold and wintry but down at Phantom Ranch in December the cottonwood leaves were just turning yellow. This is a true statement: You could catch 20 fish an hour all day long on a glowbug. The fish came up Bright Angle Creek out of the Colorado River to spawn. They averaged 18 inches + or - 2 inches. I couldn't find the pictures of my trip but they looked just like the 1st picture that was taken on the Green river below Flaming Gorge Dam.

The second Picture was like what Jon was talking about at 10k feet up on Boulder mountain in Utah. In the evening the water began to boil with brookies
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:46 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,335 Posts
Years ago, long before the current drought, we used to fish East & West Clear Creek. On East Clear Creek, it would be ropes to get down over some of the rock layers, to access some of the more remote parts. We would come out with strings of nice 18" browns and rainbows.

The easier trails like Soldier & Kinder gave access to lots of pools or little 12" wide by deep rivulets between the pools, overhanging with grass. It was easy to float a fly or grasshopper down these into a pool & catch the dumb ones.

West Clear Creek has the Tramway trail, but some pools limit access to nice parts of the canyon, especially in the spring. We found a couple ways to scramble down without falling off a cliff.

One day at West Clear Creek I was goofing around with my ultralight setup, 4lb line & a flyrod flatfish, as we were hiking between camps. I tossed the flatfish into a pool & about a half second later a 20" brown took it. It was exciting getting that one landed.

One trip To Phantom Ranch, on a rim to rim hike, I just took a hook & spool of leader, leaned over a boulder & dropped the hook in front of the fishes that were hiding there & caught a nice breakfast. When you carry a frying pan all the way to Phantom Ranch, the fish BETTER be biting!

BP
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:17 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan C View Post
I am planning to get out to the Surprise field the 24th in the morning, other than that I am working or have family stuff.
I'll plan to be there, and maybe you can round up the usual suspects. Hopefully John and Gary can join.

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:24 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
I'll plan to be there, and maybe you can round up the usual suspects. Hopefully John and Gary can join.

I will try to come for a while also.

BP
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
I will try to come for a while also.

BP
Not unless you launch vertically! That thread's turned into a good discussion, or at least until Joe W. put us in our place.

Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2005
1,103 Posts
Sounds like JEM will not be at El Dorado park,or possible at another time, Somebody paid $5K to reserve park for civil war enactment that weekend. They are looking for a place to hold it!
clearvisionscott is offline Find More Posts by clearvisionscott
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:48 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearvisionscott View Post
Sounds like JEM will not be at El Dorado park,or possible at another time, Somebody paid $5K to reserve park for civil war enactment that weekend. They are looking for a place to hold it!
I can't make it, but hope they find a resolution, since a lot of pilots already purchased flight tickets. If I'm not mistaken, then it's also the only contest until Red Rocks, provided that takes place. After that - Poway?

If I weren't so tied up at work with Project Insano, I'd help organize a local DLG event. In the meantime, it's going to be ALES with Ian. Maybe I'll just throw my DLG with a fake folding prop. As long as I don't throw over 500 ft. there shouldn't be any complaints!

Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:12 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
4,983 Posts
Where could a contest be held in the Phoenix area? Is there a flying site that might be available?

I was under the impression that there was something scheduled at Eloy in Feb or March? No?

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
4,983 Posts
The 24th in the morning? Well, weather and wife permitting, I'll try.

How about an intersection so I can find it on my gps?

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:16 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
I thought the AZ Open was in Feb @ Schnepf farms, but it might not be officially set yet. Dave or Jon, what's the word?
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:12 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
I can't make it, but hope they find a resolution, since a lot of pilots already purchased flight tickets. If I'm not mistaken, then it's also the only contest until Red Rocks, provided that takes place. After that - Poway?...
Red Rock is tentatively scheduled for March 30-31.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:29 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
I thought the AZ Open was in Feb @ Schnepf farms, but it might not be officially set yet. Dave or Jon, what's the word?
I'm flying with Dave today, and will ask about the AZ Open. The traditional weekend for the AZ Open and the field at Schnepf Farms is now occupied by the SWC, which was moved by one week.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that most AZ contests have been organized by Dave and Philip, and they've been doing this for years. We take them and the contests for granted, but shouldn't. John A.'s been pitching in, but we'll probably need more support to continue these events. I'm going for a CD license, and others are encouraged to do the same.

Cheers, Charles