SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:04 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,509 Posts
I need to head out Geo - land no later than 11am. I can't throw for a while longer so no DLG for me but I can come out and say "Hi". What time were you planning on and where?

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:38 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Anyone flying on Sunday? I started scrapping the Blaster back together, just so I could have something to fly. I'll have to do some programming, but other than that, it's darn near ready to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
I need to head out Geo - land no later than 11am. I can't throw for a while longer so no DLG for me but I can come out and say "Hi". What time were you planning on and where?

Charlie
Carl(Soti): Just say when and where, as longs as it's after 10 am.

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:02 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Last time I flew when it was overcast, I piled my plane into the top of a building. I think I'm just going to get the programming done, and wait for another day to fly.
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:11 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,509 Posts
Sounds good Tim.

Charlie
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:33 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Last time I flew when it was overcast, I piled my plane into the top of a building. I think I'm just going to get the programming done, and wait for another day to fly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Sounds good Tim.

Charlie
In that case, I'll fly at the grass field near Desert Vista high school.

Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2011
267 Posts
new to dlg question

What differences would I experience between a Topsky 1.0 and a Topsky 2.0 as a dlg newbie? Are wing repair procedures the same? Would I notice any flying characteristic differences as a newbie? Thanks in advance for some help. Tim
NZ7C is offline Find More Posts by NZ7C
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:09 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ7C View Post
What differences would I experience between a Topsky 1.0 and a Topsky 2.0 as a dlg newbie? Are wing repair procedures the same? Would I notice any flying characteristic differences as a newbie? Thanks in advance for some help. Tim
I've only flown the T2, but have watched a T1 fly, and don't think there's much of a difference in flight characteristics.

The T1 has a laminated spar and the rest is exposed foam, only covered by glass. The T2 also has a laminated spar, but carbon up front.

The T1 wing will be easy to maintain and fix, but won't survive a hard crash. The T2 wing is more robust, and will survive mishaps that will most likely destroy the T1. On the other hand, you can almost get a replacement T1 wing for the difference in cost.

It's a toss-up. If I were to start over, then I'd buy two T1 instead of one T2. Having 2 planes is very, very good!

Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Ugghhh... I forgot what a pain this radio is to program. Does anyone know if there's a more streamlined tutorial on DLG set-up than the "Joedy" manual?

I have difficulty following directions that I know are intentionally leading me astray.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Jun 2011
267 Posts
Topsky question

Got it - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
I've only flown the T2, but have watched a T1 fly, and don't think there's much of a difference in flight characteristics.

The T1 has a laminated spar and the rest is exposed foam, only covered by glass. The T2 also has a laminated spar, but carbon up front.

The T1 wing will be easy to maintain and fix, but won't survive a hard crash. The T2 wing is more robust, and will survive mishaps that will most likely destroy the T1. On the other hand, you can almost get a replacement T1 wing for the difference in cost.

It's a toss-up. If I were to start over, then I'd buy two T1 instead of one T2. Having 2 planes is very, very good!

Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:13 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Ugghhh... I forgot what a pain this radio is to program. Does anyone know if there's a more streamlined tutorial on DLG set-up than the "Joedy" manual?

I have difficulty following directions that I know are intentionally leading me astray.
Joedy is your man. I once tried to follow Charlie's program, with intertwined Mixers, but gave up. Had to document my own programs or I would forget how the Evo ticks. Reminds me of Joni Mitchell trying to re-create the open-tuned chords of her youth, and she couldn't, even after listening to her own music.

I do however find the Evo easier than the A9, which has functional interdependencies that don't seem to be fully documented.

Is there and easy-to-program middle to high end radio?

Flying before lunch today was cool - actually hot & humid, with no wind at all, and small pockets of thermals that were surprisingly productive.

Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:40 PM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post

Is there and easy-to-program middle to high end radio?
Yes DX8
j2m2t2 is offline Find More Posts by j2m2t2
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,011 Posts
I've copied down all the settings on my Evo, I could email them to you. Would that help? I was trying to get four flap settings, for four flight phases plus a launch rotation. Charlie sat down and walked me through a set up. Seems to work fine, but maybe more complicated than what you want"

Drela has a set up for the SG that is pretty easy to follow. Have you looked for that? I don't remember where it's posted, but I still have it in the radios, so it would be easy to write down.

I can email the settings that Charlie helped with, or the Drela settings. Starting with Joedy's stuff is fine, but time consuming and might not give you anything you want. Drela's give three flap settings and link them to flight phases so that you get independent trim for those phases, so it's a good place to start.

PM me if interested.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:52 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,509 Posts
Tim, hopefully I can help talk you through it...

Charlie
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Thanks for the help, guys. My dad reminded me that he had one plane that was not a 4 servo wing that I can copy. I'm fairly certain that at some point, Charlie was involved at getting it set up. I'll try that first. I suspect that somewhere along the line I reset something that was global, and changed it to the wrong thing. Those little goofy arrows do me in every time.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
267 Posts
New guy with TopSky's questions

Well, sold out all my monster glider equipment except enough to still play with Radian's...as I have very little free time for building the big balsa wingers et al.
Unfortunately my fascination for watching the dlg's and their pure elegance was not able to escape me....chickened out on a Blaster 3 but a Topsky 1.1 and 2.0 Disser kit are on there way and should be here this week. I knew I should have never watched all the dlg competition at the Southwest Classic!!!!
Anyway, I know there is some world class dlg brain power here in Arizona so that's where I'm going to ask questions. And the first two questions are:
1) What do you consider the best source of first build instructions on the 1.1 (manual with the kit; rcgroup building thread; and on-line generalized pdf on dlg builds?) and
2) Should I start from the get-go with learning about servos with pull-pull connections or stick with control rods?. Where have you seen the best guidance on setting up control strings?

I know this is not per se a building thread, so please feel free to send me elsewhere if folks would rather not have these type of questions in this thread Thanks in advance.
Tim (NZ7C)
Last edited by NZ7C; Sep 25, 2012 at 08:40 PM.