HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:01 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
I'll be closer to 9:45 but I'm coming out for sure. :-)
Oops! Dale and Darren left around 9:30 am, and Scott and I just before 10 am. I'm at work now, while you're alone at the field. Scott is headed for the Chandler Bowl.

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:03 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,583 Posts
Quote:
I made it out at approx 9:50 but did not see any DLG'rs so back to home to get a Supra back to flying status.

Charlie

Must have missed you by minutes - but you didn't miss much. The wind just kept tearing up thermals, and most flights were pretty short. Scott dominated the skies with his Concept and Stobel, while Darren was flying the P2 and calibrating his new B3. Dale brought a 2m ALES that flew really well, and I think he has plans to attend the 9/29 ALES contest.

Norm wants to fly tomorrow, but didn't say when or where. I'll have time in the afternoon after 3 pm. We could try flying at the Bowl, unless you don't mind the rocks at the dirt field. The Mesa Bowl is nice, but kinda far. What think you?

Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:02 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,583 Posts
Sunday DLG, Take #2

I'll be at the dirt field around 2:30 pm today. Dana and Norm have signaled interest. I'll stick around until maybe 5 pm.

Vu showed up yesterday, but didn't bring a DLG. Something about " .. can't strap it to a motorcycle ..". He needs a trailer and a hitch! Maybe Brad can help.

Charlie, Scott, Lee, wanna join us?

Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,319 Posts
I'm headed up to coyote basin for an hour or so. I am waiting to find out if I have free time after that so it is going to be a last minute thing if I do get to come out.
Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,209 Posts
I was going to sail with Dirk and Dean, but zero wind this morning so changing plans. I'll show up if a few people want to fly.
RotorCycle is online now Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle View Post
I was going to sail with Dirk and Dean, but zero wind this morning so changing plans. I'll show up if a few people want to fly.
Quote:
I'm headed up to coyote basin for an hour or so. I am waiting to find out if I have free time after that so it is going to be a last minute thing if I do get to come out.
Charlie
Come one, come all. What's up with Coyote Basin - model airplanes or something else, i.e. hiking or dirt bikes or nude bathing?

Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:55 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like a cop out, Lee. There was just enough wind to sail, with periods of just enough calm to BS a bit. It wasn't too hot, either.

FWIW, I'll probably come out this afternoon to watch people fly and BS a bit, too.
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,209 Posts
Well, if I would have known you where there - would have went in spite of low wind. The BS would have made up for it

It's hitting 100 now, so heading out early to CASL for about an hour.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:04 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,319 Posts
sorry i missed you guys, I just now have a chance to get out there and BS. I'll go have a look and see if anyone is still there.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,209 Posts
Tim, Good seeing you. We'll sail more.

Vu, let's fly DLG's at the bowl one of these evenings. Bring that potted Stobel V2.

Dana, we had a good day - no collisions and no tree climbing.

Norm, you rocked that one eastern thermal. All I could see was a Vandal-speck.

Charles - would like to fly your plane sometime and see how pitch sensitive it is. If it's not tail heavy, the speed is constant, and the tail servo is centering, it shouldn't be pitching up and down. I don't know how large your elevator control surface is, but maybe playing with travel and expo will tame that down. Just checked, and I'm running 25% expo on the elevator.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,209 Posts
Charles - here's an example of the olympic recurves we shoot at the Paseo Vista range. Stabilizer bars, clicker, and sight with aperture only. No scope. Finger tabs and no mechanical release.

On the compounds we can use an actual scope (I use 4x), a peep with a clarifier, and a mechanical release that looks like a trigger. The definition of precision. When shooting indoors at 18-meters, if you don't hit all 10's you're out of the running.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:42 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,211 Posts
That is really cool Lee! I have been looking at bows for hunting, I'm sick of the AZ draw system and you can get most tags over the counter for bow hunting.
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,209 Posts
Most hunters use compound bows due to the higher velocity (draw weight) and high let-off. Shooting over 300 FPS is no problem with a compound.

On my Alpha Elite with a 78% let-off, you only hold 17.6 pounds at full draw. So if you're waiting for the shot or up in a tree stand waiting for the angle, you can hold and remain comfortable and not shake. If you pull back a 50-pound recurve, you're holding 50-pounds which becomes an issue after 10-15 seconds

Compound examples:
http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/

I use a scope similar to this as well as a mechanical release like this for target shooting only. You would probably want a bow in camo (color), parallel limb technology (short ATA for in the brush), short stabilizer, along with multiple pins instead of a scope so you don't have to dial-in the scope for different ranges. Just have a 30-yard pin, 40-yard pin, 50 yard pin, 60-yard pin and so on. I've seen people with 7-pin sights, you just have to remember what distance each pin is
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Tim, Good seeing you. We'll sail more.

Vu, let's fly DLG's at the bowl one of these evenings. Bring that potted Stobel V2.

Dana, we had a good day - no collisions and no tree climbing.

Norm, you rocked that one eastern thermal. All I could see was a Vandal-speck.

Charles - would like to fly your plane sometime and see how pitch sensitive it is. If it's not tail heavy, the speed is constant, and the tail servo is centering, it shouldn't be pitching up and down. I don't know how large your elevator control surface is, but maybe playing with travel and expo will tame that down. Just checked, and I'm running 25% expo on the elevator.
Powered up the plane and checked the elevator - returns to center after upward and downward deflection every time, so double-neutral is not causing the pitch instability. CG is at 70mm after adding a strip of lead, and was at 72mm before. That's pretty conservative - you and Norm and Dana fly way further back, yet your planes are rock-solid in comparison. Maybe I have too much elevator throw. How much does your elevator deflect at full stick?

Here's a question: It's good to have lots of down-elevator to level the plane at the end of the launch climb, but then all that down-elevator may lead to an over-sensitive pitch behavior. Do you guys switch to dual rates after that down-elevator blip, or do you use expo to soften the response around neutral? From what I've read and hear Mike Smith say on DVD, real men don't use expo ...

Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,209 Posts
I use expo on the elevator or the plane is way too pitch sensitive. Real men must have very gentle hands that don't need expo