HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,871 Posts
My world is all messed up.

I read that last post and just got all worked up about this talk of lift and loops.

Geesh, whats with this DLG stuff......

I love these kind of post!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:05 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
There was crazy air about! Twas fun!

BP
It was kinda crazy today - Dana and I were flying during lunch-break at the dirt field. On 2 separate occasions, the tails of our planes suddenly dropped maybe 30, while the nose stayed at the same altitude, followed by a massive back-slide. Totally unlike stalling when flying into a wind-gust; as if someone had stepped on the tail. Cool!

I use this kinda goofy-mushy air as a good test for CG location - if it's too far forward, then you'll have to constantly move the elevator, since lift and sink and gust alternate every couple of seconds. I was trimming the Predator today, and initially it required constant minor elevator corrections, just didn't want to groove. Moved the CG back 5 millimeters, which did the trick. Flies like on rails.

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:35 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Is that the low wing or high wing predator?
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:49 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Is that the low wing or high wing predator?
It's a high-wing d-box. The only low-wing Predator I've seen is flown by GaryO. Ray down in Tucson also flies a high-wing.

One day soon, I'll take one of my planes with a pylon-mounted wing & full-flying stab and mount them inverted to the fuselage - a poor man's Concept!

Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:16 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Does anyone have a couple NEW D47s they'd be willing to part with? There's an Elf in our garage that's taunting me... "If you build it, it will fly..." If not we may be placing an order with Dymond in the next few weeks. If anyone else needs something from them, let us know. Maybe we can get a group buy going and save a few bucks on shipping.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:46 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,237 Posts
I may have, will look tonight.

Bob P
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:17 PM
200 mph club
United States, AZ, Fort Mohave
Joined Mar 2005
869 Posts
Topsky Super2 Disser RTF available at Southwest Classic

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585352
r/cmark is offline Find More Posts by r/cmark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis misc stuff
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:49 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
phoenix
Joined Jul 2004
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Does anyone have a couple NEW D47s they'd be willing to part with? There's an Elf in our garage that's taunting me... "If you build it, it will fly..." If not we may be placing an order with Dymond in the next few weeks. If anyone else needs something from them, let us know. Maybe we can get a group buy going and save a few bucks on shipping.
i have one new in the box its yours if you need it i should have a slightly used one to go with it j
proppy jon is offline Find More Posts by proppy jon
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:04 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,237 Posts
Two very used, one perhaps used in D47's. Have a couple of new DS09scd & a few new 285's.

BP
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2005
1,026 Posts
Twister wing repair
servo works.
Connection between servo and RDS broke.
How do you repair?

Photo below!
clearvisionscott is offline Find More Posts by clearvisionscott
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:08 AM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Guy's I am working on a Polaris order that will ship direct to Phx, I need a total of five people. I have four and need one more person to complete the order. Please contact me if anybody would like to jump in.
Thanks,
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:40 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearvisionscott View Post
Twister wing repair
servo works.
Connection between servo and RDS broke.
How do you repair?

Photo below!
Scott,

it appears that the metal output shaft of the DS-09 servo sheared off. You'll need a new servo, servo-coupler, yoke, and wiper. Unless someone local can help, you'll have to contact the vendor/manufacturer for a new servo-coupler, yoke, and wiper. Send them the picture. The servo can be readily obtained in the US. I think a guy in Mesa sells them. Feel free to contact ASK (rcbuilder.com), he also has spare parts, which may or may not fit.

Dirk (Guz) has installed RDS from scratch, and so has Greg McGill (glidermang). Other locals may have also, so maybe they'll respond.

Postmortem: The sheared metal (!) servo shaft indicates a severe misalignment between the servo and the yoke. The second servo may also fail one day. If I were you, I'd convert both servos to top or bottom drive.

Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2005
1,026 Posts
Charles

Thanks
clearvisionscott is offline Find More Posts by clearvisionscott
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:38 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,317 Posts
Not so sure that was a metal output shaft. If gear sets are available it may be fixable but you'd probably need to remove the servo from its bed of glue anyway so just replacing the whole servo might be easier. Charles, I think Scott's wing folded on launch IIRC which was the cause of the severe miss-alignment and subsequent damage. Scott had a rough day

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:24 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Not so sure that was a metal output shaft. If gear sets are available it may be fixable but you'd probably need to remove the servo from its bed of glue anyway so just replacing the whole servo might be easier. Charles, I think Scott's wing folded on launch IIRC which was the cause of the severe miss-alignment and subsequent damage. Scott had a rough day

Charlie
It's a DS-09 AMD, which has a metal shaft. Don't matter, cause it has to come out anyway, and based on your description of Scott's mishap, the second servo may be also have sustained latent damage. A failure waiting to happen, perhaps.

I stick with the SCD version of the DS-09 because it has a nylon output shaft. The way the metal shafts on small servos are manufactured leads to stress risers in the splined section, and they break easily. Nylon is really hard to shear off, and will usually get soft before it fails entirely.

Have fun flying today at the dirt field - thermals were good all week long.