HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,001 Posts
I just won a Radian Pro in a raffle and have an EZglider with flaps that hasn't been flown.

If anyone locally is interested, PM me and I'll bring it to the contest.

Pilot meeting at 8:30? That translates into a "get in the car" time of 6:30, get up at 5:30,

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Last edited by GaryO; Jan 20, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
I just won a Radian Pro in a raffle and have an EZglider with flaps that hasn't been flown.

If anyone locally is interested, PM me and I'll bring it to the contest.

Pilot meeting at 8:30? That translates into a "get in the car" time of 6:30, get up at 5:30,

Gary
You're not the only one Gary, me too

should be a fun day though

Philip
pocket rocket is online now Find More Posts by pocket rocket
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:15 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
German Words Of Wisdom

Newbies:

I'm reading through a German book titled "The Thermal Book For Model Aircraft Pilots". Attached is some stuff I translated, and if it helps you become a better pilot, then right on. If it causes heartburn, indigestion, or constipation, then feel free to let us know why.

The book was written for European weather conditions, and all that German wisdom may not be applicable to the desert southwest, so take it with a grain of salt.

The Thermal Book For Mode...

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Last edited by BavarianCharles; Jan 24, 2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:24 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,363 Posts
Thanks Charles!

BP
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:20 AM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,476 Posts
Porpoising

[QUOTE=BavarianCharles;20518608]Newbies:

I'm reading through a German book titled "The Thermal Book For Model Aircraft Pilots". Attached is some stuff I translated, and if it helps you become a better pilot, then right on. If it causes heartburn, indigestion, or constipation, then feel free to let us know why.

The book was written for European weather conditions, and all that German wisdom may not be applicable to the desert southwest, so take it with a grain of salt.

Attachment 4576612

[/QUO
=================================================
Charles, an excellent post with this attachment. Thanks for putting it up (pun intended). Thought provoking. I'm still wrapping my brain around it.
Launch-1 is offline Find More Posts by Launch-1
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:31 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,155 Posts
Thanks Charles. No desert here.
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:07 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
Thanks Charles!!
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2005
1,126 Posts
No flying Wed afternoon President is coming to AZ
clearvisionscott is offline Find More Posts by clearvisionscott
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:56 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearvisionscott View Post
No flying Wed afternoon President is coming to AZ
Thanks Scotty. The no-fly time starts at 3 pm, so I'll be at the dirt field from 11:30 for an hour for some DLG practice.

Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:02 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
Dude.

Just take the day off and read, build, fix something or just relax.

There's no need to push "the boundaries" on this one. We don't want to screw things up for anyone.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:54 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guz View Post
dude.

Just take the day off and read, build, fix something or just relax.

There's no need to push "the boundaries" on this one. We don't want to screw things up for anyone.
10-4

Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
Electric foamy flyer
Chandler, Arizona
Joined Apr 2010
306 Posts
is there an actual posted bulliten on flying model aircraft in the no fly zone? or is it considered a full size? Cuz its not fair that birds can fly all they want in the TFR....
fly Frontier is offline Find More Posts by fly Frontier
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,363 Posts
It is covered in the TFR, part 5

!FDC 2/4673 ZAB PART 5 OF 5 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS PHOENIX, ARIZONA C. THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THIS TFR: FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, SEAPLANE OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, SIGHTSEEING OPERATIONS, MAINTENANCE TEST FLIGHTS, MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS), AND UTILITY AND PIPELINE SURVEY OPERATIONS. D. FAA RECOMMENDS THAT ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATORS CHECK NOTAMS FREQUENTLY FOR POSSIBLE CHANGES TO THIS TFR PRIOR TO OPERATIONS WITHIN THIS REGION. END PART 5 OF 5
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:31 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
It is covered in the TFR, part 5

!FDC 2/4673 ZAB PART 5 OF 5 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS PHOENIX, ARIZONA C. THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THIS TFR: FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, SEAPLANE OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, SIGHTSEEING OPERATIONS, MAINTENANCE TEST FLIGHTS, MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS), AND UTILITY AND PIPELINE SURVEY OPERATIONS. D. FAA RECOMMENDS THAT ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATORS CHECK NOTAMS FREQUENTLY FOR POSSIBLE CHANGES TO THIS TFR PRIOR TO OPERATIONS WITHIN THIS REGION. END PART 5 OF 5
"President Obama is scheduled to visit the Chandler Intel site on Wednesday afternoon. It has been reported that he is scheduled to land at Gateway airport around 3:45pm and there may be some road closures on the route from the airport to Intel (possibly including Ellsworth Rd, Power Rd and the 202 San Tan). It could also affect anyone living in the south Chandler Ocotillo area. He is scheduled to be here for approximately three hours. "

Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:37 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,363 Posts
I went out today about 2:30PM at the 25th Ave & Roser park after getting my car emission tested. There was crazy air about!

My first gentle warmup toss was to about 60 ft. I straightened it out for a trim & it kept porporising like there was too much up trim. I kept adding more & more down trim, but it did not help.

I landed & reset the elevator to a bit more down & removed all the trim inputs I just made & re launched. Same thing! It would go forward & up maybe 6 - 8 ft, slow down & drop a couple of feet. Even though there was not much breeze, my 10.6 oz Vandal was getting knocked around.

Next launch was up to about 90 ft and I was immediately in lift. Very bumpy but definietely lift. After circling over the park for a while I was higher than my launch, so I searched out the main thermal, which took me to about 200 ft at the 2.5 minute mark. When I decided to come down, I put the plane in a series of loops, like GT recommended to check trims, & the plane was making these tight loops & it continued to go up! Crazy!

I did a series of 12 loops before I stopped & the plane got higher on each loop. Then at about 290 ft by altimeter, I pointed it straight down, to come down & go back to work.

I figured all those early stalls were small feeder thermals low to the ground, since there was nice lift in the center of them.

Twas fun!

BP