HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm51 View Post
Greg,
thanks not sure what the issue is yet. tried 2 new recvrs and 2 new servos as well. had a break in the antenna a few weeks ago and replaced with one with out the plastic end. got a new one this week and going to try a long range walk to test it.

norm
I can give you an antenna with plastic end piece.

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,581 Posts
norm:

Berg receivers are (or used to be) very popular, and I won't try to talk you out of them. I have had four myself. I have managed to release the magic smoke from three of them. The fourth never responded in any way, at any time.

I cannot fault the receivers themselves. At least one of them, I absolutely KNOW that I connected the power in the wrong polarity. (Yeah, right, I'm that kind of engineer, alright.)

Anyway, I've sure got a pot of 05S receivers, and they all work, guaranteed. I went to 2.4 last year, and have not bothered to look back. I also have the antenna and synthetic module for an EVO. Or did I mention that already?
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
He's got the synth module. I suggested that this might be the problem. There have been a number of reports that Berg RXs sometimes don't cooperate with synth modules.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:48 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,011 Posts
Berg told me that they think the Evo Synth modules aren't completely stable and vary just enough that the Berg (which tries to memorize the xmtr characteristics) looses lock.

On the other hand ...?

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined Jun 2009
875 Posts
i guess when i get back to work ill need to go t 2.4
Storm51 is offline Find More Posts by Storm51
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:13 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,581 Posts
Say the word, norm, and you can have a whole bunch of Hitec 05S receivers. The synthetic module likes 'em just fine. As small as most Bergs, about 10 grams. I stuffed the antenna back in the fuselage. I have no more use for them, myself.

Yours, Greg
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:20 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,382 Posts
Vandal with Top Drive

Thanks to Doug, Jon, Lee & Vu for pieces and logistics that helped me complete my top drive on my very used Vandal.

It really cleaned up the wing & all those linkages hanging from the bottom. The flaps (powered by DS09SCD) have ample range with my x9303 2.4 radio.

Took it to the local small park the other evening about sunset for some trial launches. The Vandal is sooo much quieter with the top drive . Just before the BSOAZ I could barely get 125 ft, that evening the launches were 137- 139 ft consistently. My best ever throw with my Lighhawk3 was about 146 ft without wind.

Most of the tosses were just up & down, a few were extended over a father & autistic son that came to the park for exercise, those lasted about 1:10 or so without trying too hard. The son really enjoyed the flights, he was whooping & hollering as the plane went over. Best flight wast 2:35 as the sun was setting & the ground air was releasing into the sky.

As I was leaving I went over to talk to the visitors, & the father thanked me for flying near to them. He said he did not think his son would even see the plane, but that was not the case, I think the son saw the first launch after he was out of his car by his vocalizations.

A good evening by all accounts!

Bob P
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Top Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
Thanks to Doug, Jon, Lee & Vu for pieces and logistics that helped me complete my top drive on my very used Vandal.

It really cleaned up the wing & all those linkages hanging from the bottom. The flaps (powered by DS09SCD) have ample range with my x9303 2.4 radio.

Bob P
Bob,

I'm also building a wing that has top drive. Allow me to ask a few questions:

Do the horns protrude beyond the wing's lower surface? The max thickness on my wings is a wee bit less than the servo + horn, and a small cover will be required. It's less than 1/16 we're talkin' about. Did you have to make one?

What's the radius between hingeline and pivot point in the flaperon horns? 9mm seems to work on mine at 60 servo travel either way, with the servo biased 20 towards the LE.

Happy Turkey Day!

Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:37 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
Happy Turkey day everybody!!!!!
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,581 Posts
Charles:

You didn't ask me, but I'll chime in anyway:

I positioned the servo horn just a wee bit forward of straight down. I used the hole in the horn that gave the shortest possible moment arm. If you can, drill your own hole, even shorter than that.

I made the control horn 2.5 times longer than the servo horn. That gave mechanical advantage, and still allowed plenty of travel.

Depending on how far inboard, and the thickness of the wing and all the rest, the control horns only stuck up about an eighth of an inch. In the Taboo, the servo horns were completely concealed (with the servos buried all the way to the wing surface).

Even if anything sticks out of the bottom, it will be so much less than what used to stick out. Plus, almost all of the pushrod will be buried (it might be parallel to the airstream, but it still has drag).

I'm glad that Bob was able to see the difference. I believe it's a very significant thing. I think you'll see something similar, either in launch height or duration.

Yours, Greg
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:25 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,011 Posts
Well, I'll chime in also.

My flap horns are usually about 7-7.5mm, from bottom of the horn. The bottom of the horn is sitting on the hinge.

On D-47's, I use the innner hole on the four arm servo horn, and that looks like it's about 4.5mm.

On Zone foils, AG foils that allows nothing from the servo horn to stick out, but they have to be at the max thickness of the airfoil. How far out they can be placed also affects if anything will stick out.

On Zone foils, I've completely buried an '09, but it's close.

On a Blaster 3, one servo horn just barely sticks out, but I put the servos out too far and not right up against the spar. Probably should have been ahead of the spar.

I usually have about 30 degrees offset on the horn. There probably is no need for 60 degrees up travel.

Hope this is somewhat useful.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:29 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
Bob,

I'm also building a wing that has top drive. Allow me to ask a few questions:

Do the horns protrude beyond the wing's lower surface? The max thickness on my wings is a wee bit less than the servo + horn, and a small cover will be required. It's less than 1/16 we're talkin' about. Did you have to make one?

What's the radius between hingeline and pivot point in the flaperon horns? 9mm seems to work on mine at 60 servo travel either way, with the servo biased 20 towards the LE.

Happy Turkey Day!

Yes, the servo horn does stick down beyond the lower skin. I am not bothering about covering it on the Vandal. It could have been a bit closer to the spar to be in a bit thicker part of the airfoil, but I was using the existing servo hole.

I used solder clevises aka Paul Naton on the top, even sanded then down so they were not so tall. These also stick out quite a bit, again they stay there uncovered.

Attached is a PDF from Doug M, he cut me some horns with his laser. I thinned down the back to aileron height, which shortened it to about the last hole. The servo hole is as close as I cold et it & have the pushrod clear the servo shaft.

With the DS09 & my x9303, I did not bias the servos in the end. The xmitter has an offset function. I had it all together except gluing in the servos to try it, & did not like the initial offset I had. So I put everything at center & re-soldered the clevises. It was pretty easy to change that way, versus trying to bend an 054 wire sticking out the wing. The smallest clevises are 072, solder filled the gap.

If it was a nicer plane, I might make a servo cover with a bump on it to clear the horn. This plane just has a piece of thin white plastic cut to fit.

BP
Last edited by bbbp; Dec 01, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:32 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post

I'm glad that Bob was able to see the difference. I believe it's a very significant thing. I think you'll see something similar, either in launch height or duration.

Yours, Greg
I also like how much more quiet it is. After listening to Donnie's Polaris launch without a whisper, I had to do something!!

BP
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:08 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Top Drive

Greg, Gary, Bob,

thanks for the info. Hope to see your arrangements in the flesh soon. I'm going to place the DS-09 servos close to the panel roots to get the horns underneath the lower surface. Did ya'll face your flaperons? I don't bother to do that anymore, since taping the flaperon hinge gap at the tip has cured flutter, but then my launches are pretty soft.

Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:08 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
I also like how much more quiet it is. After listening to Donnie's Polaris launch without a whisper, I had to do something!!

BP
That's because it's going supersonic, and you're in the cone of silence.