HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:39 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
Another symptom of our sick society...............Our legal system is becoming waayyy to expensive,suffocating,and overbearing................
Hay what is up?
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:51 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
Heads up: No more parking at the CASL field!

Dana and I were flying this morning at the CASL dirt field, when the property manager showed up to tell us that parking is not allowed on the paved parking lot. He was notified by the owner. We can fly on the field, since it belongs to the city of Chandler, but would have to park on the road and walk around the buildings and parking lot to access it. Even traversing the parking lot on foot to get to the field could be considered trespassing.

This applies to all days of the week, so no parking even on weekends.

That sucks.

I told you should fly with shorts on out there......

The property owner is just looking to cover his and you cant really blame him for that. It is sad what out society has turned into.

Guess we have to park on the street at the east end and walk along the edge of the property and hope that does not become an issue.
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:01 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,697 Posts
I thought this has been mention before that we shouldn't be flying at CASL on weekdays. First of all, I don't think we have permission to fly at CASL at all. So the majority of us agree not to fly there weekdays just so we don't run INTO in this case (employees, property manager).

Maybe I am the only one that knew about this?
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:17 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,697 Posts
Parking on the street.

Legal? sure, but they will find a way to get you.

Everytime I ride my motorcycle there on the weekend, I see Cops patrolling area as such because on weekend these place got rob very often. They would stop if they see 2-3 cars + a pick up truck.. ect parking on the side of the streets.
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:24 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,240 Posts
Good point. I knew there would be some reason it would not work.
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:46 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,727 Posts
CASL Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by helisfreak View Post
I thought this has been mention before that we shouldn't be flying at CASL on weekdays. First of all, I don't think we have permission to fly at CASL at all. So the majority of us agree not to fly there weekdays just so we don't run INTO in this case (employees, property manager).

Maybe I am the only one that knew about this?
The PM mentioned that they are patrolling the area 7x24 nowadays, mostly because of copper theft and other acts of vandalism. Conveniently enough, a junkyard just up the road on 56th street has a big sign outside "WE BUY SCRAP METAL (COPPER)".

We'll fly at the Bowl until further notice.

The bigger question is: Can we fly on this field at all? Has anyone from CASL previously struck a deal with the City of Chandler? If we (are allowed to) fly there, then we should probably avoid flying over any buildings from now on.

BavarianCharles is online now Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:03 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,255 Posts
The city of Chandler has granted permission to use that dirt lot until the water reclamation project is back on track. Could be years.

This city permission does not extend to the private property and parking lot to the north. It was two different arrangements from two different parties. There has consistently been issues raised with the parking area due to trash, taking reserved spaces, and now theft, so that privilege is now gone.

Respect the PM's wishes, and we'll re-approach after some time has passed to see if we can put chairs and ice chests in the shade.
RotorCycle is offline Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:24 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,727 Posts
CASL Field

Here's what Darwin Barrie posted on CASL Google Groups:

I have the contact with the City of Chandler. I worked on this extensively and simply put, we do not have official permission to be there nor is it likely to be granted. The field is under the jurisdiction of the Water Control District of Chandler. My contact is with the Parks and Rec. He is a modeler. A blind eye situation.

I have said since I found this spot that the issues was going to be with those who pay rent in the facility. Many times I advised that it was critical to leave it in better shape that we found it. Yet people still left trash, cigarette butts, piles of winch line and other trash. I fly during the week and have found this stuff after the weekend. And, people were using the dumpsters.

Not saying it is all CASL people but we are probably the main users.

Also recommended that someone on the club Board contact the property management and talk with them. Also recommended that the club offer a trainer and distribute flyers to each business mail box as a gesture of good will. Obviously neither happened.

Before someone steps up and says, "why didn't you do it?" I can tell you that I have walked the businesses and spoke to as many as I could. Most had no problems with us being there. I did not specifically contact the property management of the facility. I also offered to assist in my position as an AMA representative to provide education and insurance information.

I'll be happy to discuss with the Board what I think needs be done.

Darwin
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:36 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,727 Posts
DLG Wednesday

Anyone planning to fly DLG at the Bowl on Wednesday afternoon, at 4 pm or whenever?

Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,255 Posts
That's accurate - the city could not grant official permission (written), since RC use of the field is only temporary until the water treatment project is back on track. We had worked years before with the city to make this property an official flying field, and it never reached final stages. We just wrapped up the CB deal, and the city wanted to wait and see how successful that project was.

It's because of this history and the fact the Chandler P&R focal supports RC activities in the city we have unofficial use.

It's too bad they had to close the gate over at the water tower, but vehicles were coming onto the property and tearing things up.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:36 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,338 Posts
CASL Parking

These County maps are pretty accurate these days, and it look like the City of Chandler property includes the berm to the east (NE corner) and the dirt "road" north of the berm.

Access looks possible from the Chandler Water Tank road. Probably cannot park on the road, it would block access the the tanks. But parking on the dirt would be City property, as lonmg as you stay out of the detention basin.
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Last edited by bbbp; Dec 01, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:07 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,255 Posts
They put in a gate right before the water tank, and it was closed when I looked 2 weekends ago. You can see it in this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...01373&t=h&z=20
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle View Post
They put in a gate right before the water tank, and it was closed when I looked 2 weekends ago. You can see it in this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...01373&t=h&z=20
Can we park on Roosevelt, just south of Frye, well away from the gate and the turnoff into the tanks, since it's a public road?

Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:08 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,338 Posts
Probably for dust control, no driving on the dirt.
Perhaps Chandler could give the club permission to park on the gravel area that looks like ground up asphalt, which is through the gate at the end of Roosevelt. Phoenix gives keys to the hang gliders to get to the top of Shaw Butte.

It should be OK to park on Roosevelt, I would think.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:39 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,099 Posts
Zurich are the best I've found and Ive used them for over 10 yrs. They are extremely durable, come in fit over for those who need prescription glasses or the pilot type. The thing that makes Zurichs so impressive to me is the quick recovery time from looking directly into the sun. Sun blindness almost mediately disappears and you can find your plane quickly. I'm old and need all the light I can get so I use the red with out the reflective outer coating. But you can get them any style.

Just what I think
Maurice
mpodder is online now Find More Posts by mpodder