HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2011, 12:13 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,724 Posts
Charles..you are on the right track with your launches..your observations are correct on what needs correcting based on the video.

Start out with a slow deliberate rotation and really explode during the last 90 degrees.
Should feel like you are going to rip the peg out. Right now I seem to see a constant velocity in your rotation and no acceleration of the throwing arm or dlg.
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2011, 12:26 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,283 Posts
Looking at some launch pictures, at the very beginning of the wind-up, some pilots have the plane wing extending straight out from their arm, others have rotated the plane back 90 or so degrees. Is there an advantage like more whip, that early in the launch?

Another thing I see in different launches - the pilot will "run" forward, do his spin, then basically stop in his tracks before the final release. Seems like the run part is wasted if you stop before release!

I was watching Vu at the BTH last weekend. A step forward and a wickedly fast spin! no wasted effort and good height on the launch. Charlie seems to put an extreme amount of power into the last phase of the wind-up, his speed seem to exponentially build before release.

Ahh to be younger & flexible!

Bob P
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old May 24, 2011, 12:42 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,409 Posts
I wish I could draw a picture on line.

Vu is an excellent example. He seems to wind up the body/shoulders/arm/airplane, and then release. Rotating the airplane back, like Bob describes, is part of that.

What I do is look for the airplane as I start - I should see it out of my left eye (I'm right-handed) as I commence. The airplane swings on the end of my arm; my arm swings on my shoulder; my shoulder is being led around with hips and feet. Then, it all unwinds and off she goes!

When I screw up is when I'm trying to go fast at the start. When I go oh-so-slow at first, the everything seems to whip on past without me doing much at all. If I really do it right, there is a little "snap" of my fingers as the airplane tears loose, and I here it whoosh as it departs.

Wish I could throw as good as I sound to myself.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old May 24, 2011, 01:34 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,217 Posts
A couple of comments.

First - running and spinning without planting only adds your forward running speed to the launch. But stopping and PLANTING transfers that forward energy into your unwind speed. Decide which you will do and be consistent, but a hop and a plant will generate more unwinding power.

Make it a habit to place the plane as far behind you as you can to pre-wind your torso. Most of the power comes from the torso (core) unwinding, with the arm being the whip that accelerates during the final part of the spin.

As Greg mentioned, make it a habit of trying to keep the tail in your peripheral vision as you begin your spin. This means the plane is trailing behind an axis through your shoulders, and will whip around in an acceleration phase to catch up.

Follow through all the way when you release so your arm is an unobstructed whip.

So pick one or two of these items and focus on 10-20 launches until they become automatic and natural. Then add another element of a powerful launch. There's many factors that increase power, so perfect small elements to build up your launch. You can't watch a movie and then go out and do it all.
RotorCycle is online now Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old May 24, 2011, 02:43 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle View Post
A couple of comments.

First - running and spinning without planting only adds your forward running speed to the launch. But stopping and PLANTING transfers that forward energy into your unwind speed. Decide which you will do and be consistent, but a hop and a plant will generate more unwinding power.

Make it a habit to place the plane as far behind you as you can to pre-wind your torso. Most of the power comes from the torso (core) unwinding, with the arm being the whip that accelerates during the final part of the spin.

As Greg mentioned, make it a habit of trying to keep the tail in your peripheral vision as you begin your spin. This means the plane is trailing behind an axis through your shoulders, and will whip around in an acceleration phase to catch up.

Follow through all the way when you release so your arm is an unobstructed whip.

So pick one or two of these items and focus on 10-20 launches until they become automatic and natural. Then add another element of a powerful launch. There's many factors that increase power, so perfect small elements to build up your launch. You can't watch a movie and then go out and do it all.
I hope this 1/4 speed clip underscores what Lee posted previously.

DLG Sample Launches (0 min 21 sec)

Watch Dave and George's rotation - it all happens in a plane, no dipping or weaving or jerking. By contrast, I'm all over the place, and lift my arm at release, dumping all that stored energy.

I've noticed the arm-lift on several throwers. Tape yourself or come to one of our pratice sessions on Wednesday/Weekends. I'll always have a camera in the van.

BavarianCharles is online now Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old May 24, 2011, 03:12 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,647 Posts
DLG Practice Sessions Thread

I think there could be some confusion over my thread titled "DLG Practice Sessions". This is not intended as a "breakaway" series from the Chandler Bowl group - it's meant to complement what's already a really active and totally cool DLG scene.

The thread mentions that we usually practice at the Bowl after 4pm until dark when it gets hot, but I've been flying with guys, mostly newbies, who usually can't make it there. That's why we're targeting weekends early in the morning, with enough time left to get home and make breakfast for your spousal unit or life partner.

Hope this clarifies my intentions.

Old May 24, 2011, 04:28 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,283 Posts
Another photo comes to mind - Oleg launching. His chest is pushed forward and his head thrown back just before release. Does the head motion increase the rotation? I would fall down with that exaggerated move!

Bob P
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old May 24, 2011, 08:45 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Dec 2008
271 Posts
Missing Blaster Screw

I'm missing one wing screw for my Blaster 2. Does anyone have one I can buy or know whare I can buy one in town? Does Ace Hardware have them?

Thanks,
Adam
Big Browns is offline Find More Posts by Big Browns
Old May 24, 2011, 09:35 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Dec 2008
271 Posts
I got some screws at ace.
Big Browns is offline Find More Posts by Big Browns
Old May 24, 2011, 10:07 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,293 Posts
I guess I was too late. After dropping one screw at the bowl, i went and picked up a dozen or so.
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old May 24, 2011, 11:46 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,134 Posts
Ace carries them. I would recommend that you get the ferrous ones. You can use a magnetized screwdriver to hold them while you assemble the wing.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old May 25, 2011, 09:20 AM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,695 Posts
Anyone got a old laptop with a LPT1 port (big printer port) that they want to sell cheap? (working condition)

Or a old mini desktop with LPt1 port...
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Old May 25, 2011, 09:33 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helisfreak View Post
Anyone got a old laptop with a LPT1 port (big printer port) that they want to sell cheap? (working condition)

You can have an IBM Thinkpad 570, but the memory is limited - something like 192 MB - and it doesn't have an operating system installed. It'll do Windows 95, but I'm not sure about XP or Linux. Forget Vista or Win 7.

If you want it, then I'll bring it to the Bowl this afternoon.

Old May 25, 2011, 09:55 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helisfreak View Post

You might just get one of these
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

-andy
shoe is online now Find More Posts by shoe
Old May 25, 2011, 10:22 AM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,695 Posts
This will be use for my second CNC machine... I no expert at this, but all of the guys on CNC forum said there's no way most CNC Driver Controller can not work with USB or USB to Parralles adapter... Simply the LPT1 have a lot of Port/Pin and used direct voltage high/low input... USB are digital and they do not go together.

This sucks, adding more problem to the equation... The CNC software said it need at least this to run. It would sucks even more if your comp freeze in the middle of cutting.

Laptop / Desktop (using an external motion controller)

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 Operating System
1Ghz CPU
512MB RAM
An appropriate external motion controller (options can be found on the Plugins page)
Basic Computer Skills (ability to copy/rename files, browse directories, etc)

I don't see how you can find a computer that have a LPT1 port and have those high specifications...

Charles, I guess if you don't mind adding a OS system on it and I can try it out. (I am pretty stupid when it come to adding OS.
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak