HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:19 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
Sounds great Vu! Glad to hear your feeling more in "tune" with your Stobel. Sounds a lot like the way George's Stobel was flying during the last Eldorado contest we attended. I had to fly his because I was having all those radio "holds" with my Stobel and then Blaster2.

Hey Jun, look at my Blog. There are a couple of pictures of Vu's radio idea. I actually got mine running first but it was Vu's idea. Now we are orange DLG pilots!
(we were actually able to fit the 7 channel rx in the Stobel without case. very tight fit)

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:33 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle View Post
Yesterday Tim and I were getting many 2:30 flights but there was a slight breeze. The wind didn't slow down until you showed up, but was still 1-2mph when I left. There was areas of lift on some throws, but it was surrounded by strong sink that would pull the DLG down 10-20 feet before entering the thermal. On other throws no strong lift was to be found, but the air was buoyant creating 2-3 min flights.
You realize I was throwing twice for every one of your throws, right? It kinda makes me feel like the Ishmael character on Kingpin. "Ten frames? Hah! We Amish bowl 15."
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Last edited by carlsoti; Dec 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:46 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,136 Posts
Very cool, Charlie!!!
Once you go orange, there's no turning back! Bwaaahahahahah!
Glad it's working well so far! That's great to hear!

Did you go for your knee surgery?

Jun C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Sounds great Vu! Glad to hear your feeling more in "tune" with your Stobel. Sounds a lot like the way George's Stobel was flying during the last Eldorado contest we attended. I had to fly his because I was having all those radio "holds" with my Stobel and then Blaster2.

Hey Jun, look at my Blog. There are a couple of pictures of Vu's radio idea. I actually got mine running first but it was Vu's idea. Now we are orange DLG pilots!
(we were actually able to fit the 7 channel rx in the Stobel without case. very tight fit)

Charlie
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:13 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,695 Posts
Yes, the momentary switch on the Evo is awesome.

Actually, it was Paul idea!

Thanks to Charlie for the source code... haha!
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:58 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,977 Posts
Glad you like the EVO Vu ...
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:15 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Very cool, Charlie!!!
Once you go orange, there's no turning back! Bwaaahahahahah!
Glad it's working well so far! That's great to hear!

Did you go for your knee surgery?

Jun C.
yep, yesterday I was tuned up.

Today, no pain meds required!!! Very cool, last time I was hurting for over a week. It will be about a month before I can throw hard again but at least it is during the slow time of year.

Ooops! Sorry Paul, credit for this fine Evo/FASST idea goes to you! Now, where is yours??? How come you ended up last? Oh, that's right, you wanted me to be the guinea pig...

Here is the latest news. I tested it some more tonight and I found that it only works reliably in the Evo "UNI" channel protocol. If you change the channel protocol to "MPX" you will find that it looks like it is working but the servo does not stop at the same endpoint every time you push the stick over to one side. This is especially apparent when moving the stick rapidly. Only in "UNI" mode does it move and stop correctly every time. This limits Evo-12 users to 9 channels as the Evo changes all channels to "MPX" if you select more than 9 channels. I don't have an Evo 9 so for those that do I can only hope that this will not effect your being able to use all 9 channels as long as you can use the "UNI" protocol.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Dec 16, 2009, 01:41 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Ooops! Sorry Paul, credit for this fine Evo/FASST idea goes to you! Now, where is yours??? How come you ended up last? Oh, that's right, you wanted me to be the guinea pig...
i cant take credit either. Clay started this thread asking about it and i then thought you could hack an EVO. i would never had known about it without him. he gets the credit

and, Charlie, yes. i wanted you to be the guinea pig just kidding. i am converting as soon as some new ships roll off the build table. shouldnt be long, maybe a couple weeks. hope you guys have continued luck with the FASST conversion. i am really excited about flying with confidence. spektrum scares me.
cheers
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:59 AM
Chandler
Joined Sep 2006
156 Posts
Anyone at the bowl interested in a blaster2 kit orange/blue I have one. Just not enough time and or room. Tony
Ajdtiger is offline Find More Posts by Ajdtiger
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:40 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajdtiger View Post
Anyone at the bowl interested in a blaster2 kit orange/blue I have one. Just not enough time and or room. Tony
Not enough employment or money on my side.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:46 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Good thermals at the bowl early this afternoon. a 3-5 mph wind from the north was kicking them off the tree-line on the south end.

I thermaled my SS for a minute or two, then got back on the motor. It really made me wish I had already fixed my blade.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:27 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Big Blade???

George, do you think this is big enough?
Last edited by carlsoti; Feb 17, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:12 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2008
188 Posts
Any bigger and you can use three fingers.
bikenbrad is offline Find More Posts by bikenbrad
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:21 AM
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Oooh... I never thought about that. A double spin and a three-finger hold might get my launches up to about 120 ft! I'm still convinced that launch height isn't all it's cracked up to be... You still have to be able to fly the plane.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 09:07 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
George, do you think this is big enough?
3/4" not 1" funny shape. Are you flying tomorrow?
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:40 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
I was just messin with ya. I just knocked off the corners of the piece of carbon I had and snapped the pic. I won't be flying the DLG tomorrow, but I may be out there slow-stickin' and such. I'm trying not to rush getting the DLG fixed so that I do it right. I did cut off the rest of the old blade and smoothed out that area, so I am making progress. I have yet to tear into my radio to put in the momentary switch.