HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:53 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
I do whatever George and Charlie do.
What do you do that they do? Do do do or Da da da? Fahrvergügen!

Charlie saiz that he has used Futaba 3114, and also likes DS285s, but they cost twice as much as the Futabas.

BavarianCharles is online now Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:59 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Everytime i throw the blaster, I wonder if the servos are "holding back" the airframe. While a lot of people have never had an issue with D47s on the tail, there are others that said they just don't get it done in a competition situation. I'd like to think that I'm closer to the top than the bottom, when it comes to launching, so rather than risk a failure of the ele or rudder on launch with a D47, I'll go with something I know works for those nearer the top launcher spot than I. 285's are the servo of choise for George, and he made it onto the USA F3K team; who am I to say that's not a good direction to go?

While some others are using a specific servo for each surface, based on it's performance, using the same servo for both gives you the option of scavenging a servo from one plane to fix another, in a pinch.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:13 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,210 Posts
Well, it's like this....ahhhh.....hmmmm....I use what comes in my pre-built DLG's. They happen to be 285's.

End of deep thought
RotorCycle is online now Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:29 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,695 Posts
The 285 gearing ratio is high... so thanks to that it already have gear torque... even when the servo is not power, it's hard to move the arm...

More torque and less slops.

That's why George hate other people come up and twisted his control surface to test for slop... because there isn't any and next thing you know, it break the control horn..
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:57 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,775 Posts
Who has the best prices on the Futaba servo?

Is there a routine day and time that you try to get together at the bowl?

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:03 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,327 Posts
IIRC I have been getting the Futaba servo for 14.99 no matter where I buy it. It is best to check for slop before you buy because in my experience about 2 out of 10 had unacceptable slop. They went into my EZGlider...

Not really sure about a routine day or time at the Bowl. Seems to have been pretty random lately. (well at least for me anyway... )

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:38 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhunter View Post
285's- they fit, they're light, they're fast, they're precise and center well.

Oh, and what Tim said.
But they do buzz a lot...
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:25 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipf-geier View Post
Fellow DLG’ers,

what’s your preferred DLG elevator servo, and why? I see a lot DS285’s being used, but is that based on (bad) experiences with other servos?

Cheers, Charles

I've been using HS-45, simply because I had a bunch, and they fit into the Raptr pod, which is height-challenged. DS-47's of course fit, and so do DS188's, but the two I purchased have horrendeous top-bearing slop. The HS-45's have proven to be reliable, but centering is not good - double neutral almost guaranteed.

With Hyperion DS-09's in the wings, I can hear the plane a mile away, so additional servo noises don't matter much. I'll try a DS285 and see if it's worth the rather steep price.

Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:32 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,722 Posts
Quote:
I've been using HS-45, simply because I had a bunch, and they fit into the Raptr pod, which is height-challenged. DS-47's of course fit, and so do DS188's, but the two I purchased have horrendeous top-bearing slop. The HS-45's have proven to be reliable, but centering is not good - double neutral almost guaranteed.

With Hyperion DS-09's in the wings, I can hear the plane a mile away, so additional servo noises don't matter much. I'll try a DS285 and see if it's worth the rather steep price.

The DS 285's have no slop which is really critical for a elevator or rudder servo....Steep price??? you can get them for $19.95 on E-bay all day long...
http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-DS285-Digital...item53e42f6759
shhhhh! is online now Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:41 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
Who has the best prices on the Futaba servo?

Is there a routine day and time that you try to get together at the bowl?

Gary
Gary,

this time of the year there is no routine. Once we get back into the contest season, and it gets warmer, then Wednesday afternoons are pretty popular, and weekends of course. Send me a PM or email if and when you want to fly. I'm not gainfully employed at the moment, and Norm Carlson is also frequently available during the week, since he has an on-demand schedule. In which part of town are you stationed?

I prefer flying at the "CASL" field where we had the Dec 12 contest.The landlord of the adjacent buildings only asks that we park at the far sides of the parking lot - preferably on the west side - clean up any mess we make, and don't pee on the wall behind the dumpster.
I never know if and when someone plans to fly. My semi-regular partner is Norm, since we are both trying to learn how to fly. George prefers to be called, and is also available during the week on and off. I think I'll post my flight schedule on this forum, and hope for a response.

Wanna fly? I'm trying to learn how to circle with constant speed, and have received a lot of tips from Charlie and others, but reality bites. I can always use some coaching.

Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:44 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,587 Posts
DS285 Servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
The DS 285's have no slop which is really critical for a elevator or rudder servo....Steep price??? you can get them for $19.95 on E-bay all day long...
http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-DS285-Digital...item53e42f6759
As you would say: Yiiikesssss!!! I paid $32.99 at Todd's Models, and never bothered to look on ebay.

Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:07 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,587 Posts
GMD Test Video

Check out the Dec 15 video for the launch of a GMD interceptor and target, which is the program I used to work on until recently. What you don't see, but can read about on the MDA website, is the failed intercept, for the second time in the same year. This sytem is supposed to protect us from North Korean ICBMs.

http://www.mda.mil/news/gallery_gmd.html#Video10

Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:07 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,722 Posts
Quote:
As you would say: Yiiikesssss!!! I paid $32.99 at Todd's Models, and never bothered to look on ebay.

Yep..just ordered 2 of them ..............same price as an anolog D60......
That e-bay dealer I listed...is very good .
shhhhh! is online now Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:23 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
But they do buzz a lot...
All DS285 buzz
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:15 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,547 Posts
How much are you guys cutting off the ends of the boom on the Blaster II?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch