HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:16 PM
USA, IL, Benton
Joined Jan 2005
386 Posts
Discussion
Hobby People customer service comes thru

My buddy just received his new VQ Macchi from Hobby People after waiting a couple of months for it. While gluing the wings together he was wiping the excess epoxy off and cleaned the color right off the wing covering. We tried a few drops of 15% fuel on another spot and lightly rubbed more of the color off the wing. definitely not fuel proof.
My buddy called hobby people and spoke to several different reps. After explaining what happened they told him the covering wasn't fuel proof against all solvents. He asked them what they used to remove excess glue on their own models and was told alcohol, same as my buddy used.
My buddy wanted his model replaced with one that had a fuel proof covering but was told Hobby People would not do anything of the kind. On their web site they state that they have 5 star service and that Hobby People's customer service is "100% satisfaction guaranteed", BALONEY!!!
Any body else have one of these new models and if so have you had any problems with the covering??
Appears I may be eating a little baloney. Hobby People just informed my buddy that he would be receiving a new plane.
Fred
Red Raider is offline Find More Posts by Red Raider
Last edited by Red Raider; Sep 18, 2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: change of outcome
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:50 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,686 Posts
Not all alcohols are safe. If you use drug store isopropyl alcohol, nothing would probably happen to the covering.

However, if you use denatured alcohol, all sorts of bad things can and will happen to painted, monokoted, chromed, and other surfaces.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 18, 2009, 04:09 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
I am really sorry about the problem , I have good luck with Hobby People with the exception of Magnum Engines .
I wont magnum in the future . One very simple light season of aprox 4 outings with the mag 90 4 stroke , and the next season the compression was gone . After tinkering with it , I sent it back , they told me that they would sell me a rebuild one lol .
sincerly , this is the fact based servace I received and the engine was not crashed , as a matter of fact it was babyied if anything !!! So I will buy there planes , but never again on the engines
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Sep 18, 2009, 09:48 AM
USA, IL, Benton
Joined Jan 2005
386 Posts
Regular drug store 70% alcohol was used, nothing special. Doesn't matter because regular glow fuel took it off too. The plane is marked glow or electric so it should be fuel proof but it is not.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:43 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,686 Posts
Well then, thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a fuel proof clear coat (Top Flite) will need to be sprayed on these models.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 18, 2009, 01:00 PM
USA, IL, Benton
Joined Jan 2005
386 Posts
Way to go Hobby People, your customer service came thru with a new plane. Made my buddies day when he got the phone call.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:29 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
himmmmm perhaps they were reading this post lol
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:31 AM
Mr Clean
USA, OH, Xenia
Joined Mar 2007
623 Posts
Great outcome

Companies need to listen to folks on these forums if they want to stay in business and keep a good reputation. I know there will be idots once in awhile who will demand the unreasonable but we can all see thru that. We will continue to buy in those situations no matter how much they rant. They did the right thing replacing that model. Good for you Hobby People, I have always received great service from you. I am looking forward to buying a Giant Scale Chipmunk made by Black Horse models as soon as it is available and this situation just makes me more confident to buy from you.

Tomas from VQ Warbirds has a great reputation on this forum also and am looking forward to buying a new bird from him when they come in (old KMP).

FTIR
FTIR is offline Find More Posts by FTIR
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:59 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
agree with FTIR, good post .
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:20 AM
Pilot - Bobby B.
Joined Apr 2007
311 Posts
I just ordered the "Global by VQ Macchi 206 Veltro Greyhound 46/EP ARF” I heard these models fly well and was looking for a nicely performing warbird. I am defiantly going to test out the fuel proofing with my model in an inconspicuous place. Maybe they forgot to spray the fuel proof on the one your buddy got. If mine is not fuel proof either then ill spray some fuel proofer on it to protect the finish. Keep us informed of you buddy's progress with his new one and let us know if that one will rub off finish too. PS I plan to power mine with the four stroke OS 82FS-a. This is such a sweet engine designes to power any 60-70 size 4 stroke. In these Alpha series OS engines they have eliminated the crank case breather hole and the residual oil is recycled back through the engine. This not only lubricates the engine but keeps the oil from mucking up in and around the engine compartment. The only downside is the price. So I'll have to save up a little longer to get it.
Arlo_Bigsley is offline Find More Posts by Arlo_Bigsley
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:41 AM
USA, IL, Benton
Joined Jan 2005
386 Posts
Hobby People has them on sale again right now. If somehow they left the factory without a fuel proof coat on this first run it seems HP would sell them for electric only but nothing has changed in the specs so maybe my buddy just received an early Monday or late Friday version.
An OS 82a should overpower it nicely. If you decide to go with a Saito I have a real nice 72 for a good price.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:02 AM
Pilot - Bobby B.
Joined Apr 2007
311 Posts
Ahh yes I had been looking at this model on Hobby Peoples website for sevral months. It was on backorder for the longest time, then finally came in stock. I'm so glad I lagged on the purchace because when I went to check on it last week I saw that it had gone on sale, (internet price). From 179 down to 99 bucks. I jumped all over that.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:56 AM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo_Bigsley
I just ordered the "Global by VQ Macchi 206 Veltro Greyhound 46/EP ARF” I heard these models fly well and was looking for a nicely performing warbird. I am defiantly going to test out the fuel proofing with my model in an inconspicuous place. Maybe they forgot to spray the fuel proof on the one your buddy got. If mine is not fuel proof either then ill spray some fuel proofer on it to protect the finish. Keep us informed of you buddy's progress with his new one and let us know if that one will rub off finish too. PS I plan to power mine with the four stroke OS 82FS-a. This is such a sweet engine designes to power any 60-70 size 4 stroke. In these Alpha series OS engines they have eliminated the crank case breather hole and the residual oil is recycled back through the engine. This not only lubricates the engine but keeps the oil from mucking up in and around the engine compartment. The only downside is the price. So I'll have to save up a little longer to get it.
Nothing a coat of clear dull LusterKote (Available at Hobby People) won't fix!
KentuckyColonel is offline Find More Posts by KentuckyColonel
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:30 PM
Pilot - Bobby B.
Joined Apr 2007
311 Posts
Gosh now im thinking of powering it with the OS 91FS II. and running it with a 13x10 has anyone here flown this plane and if so what engine are you using. Is a 91 just silly. The price on the 91 is 300 the price on the 81 is 330. The advertised horse power of the os 2 stroke 46 is 1.6 HP while the horse power of the 81 is only 1.3 HP the HP of the 91 is 1.6 just like the .46 so i was thinking the 91 is more matched up to the 46. The instructions say i could even us a 50 two stroke. So thats why I was thinking the 81 four stroke was not going to give me the speed i am looking for. I really want to use a 4 stroke for the sound, but still want a bad ass fast model. What do you guys think???
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:10 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
If you are hoping for speed, the 46 is not going to do it for you. These are fairly draggy airframes. The 4 strokes with the ability to turn a bigger prop is going to be better. I have the older yellow version with a piped YS 60 and it runs about 105 MPH.
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given