SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2009, 07:02 PM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Jul 2008
218 Posts
So the KF height is the same as the wing thickness?
Modarius is offline Find More Posts by Modarius
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2009, 07:33 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m2t2
Wing is 9mm 1.9# and Step is 9mm 1.3# 50% of wing
KFm2 with a single step on the top?
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 27, 2009, 07:41 PM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Jul 2008
218 Posts
Would you happen to know the COG in percentage? Never mind I calculated it to be ~13%
Last edited by Modarius; Sep 28, 2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:04 PM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
KFm-2 single step on top same thickness 9mm.
j2m2t2 is offline Find More Posts by j2m2t2
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:43 AM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookid
Would you happen to know the COG in percentage? Never mind I calculated it to be ~13%
Are you building? What foil?
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:47 AM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Jul 2008
218 Posts
Yes, I have everything but the tail cut out of foam board. I'm going the KF 2 route because of the simplicity. The problem is that when I calculate the size of the KF spacer it comes out to be a negative number. All of the info for my wing can be found on This Thread
Last edited by Modarius; Oct 11, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:17 AM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
Ive been doing some reading and believe that my prop is causing a significant amount of drag. What Im not sure is if this will cause the nose to dip?

Anyway Ill know hopefully by this weekend as Ive got a spinner and folding 7x4.5 from bp coming.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 12:16 AM
Joined Feb 2009
142 Posts
New Build - with airfoil / dow blucor foam

Now working on a new build, using 1/4" blucor fanfold foam,
I dont have a hotwire bow yet.

I folded the wing to to easily form an airfoil, no ribs.
this will be my non-electric version and hoping she'll fly well, but will also build an electric version using the same power specs.

I'm a little slow on the build (I can only work on this after work) , Hope to finish before the weekend so I can fly it...
rcpinoy is offline Find More Posts by rcpinoy
Old Oct 01, 2009, 12:52 AM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
That looks good so far. I too will build a non powered with a foil from FFF. I was thinking of laying the FFF over some EPP with a spar to form clark Y or going your route, Ill wait on your progress.

Ive got my BPhobbies spinner and Ill be flying hopefully by the weekend.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 11:02 AM
Joined Feb 2009
142 Posts
Goal is to make this easy and simple... So... I decided to just use a foam spar, one infront near the LE and one near the TE. I didn'use ribs since the foam is stiff enough to hold its shape.

For the front spar, I cut the end of it (tip side) to an angle, so the wing bottom/top would meet together at the tip. I did raised/bent the wing tip to form a washout during glueing. It worked as expected.
Amazingly the wing actually developed a small dihedral caused by the angle cut on the front spar, which makes the top wing to pull the bottom.

The two foam blocks in the middle is for servo mount, and is now close to the LE. The CF is moved down from its original position, to trade with the servo weight, each of my micro servo weights 9g, so lets make use of it, forward swept wing needs to have most of its weight infront.

The spars and the stiffness of the FFF is already enough to hold the entire wing, so moving the CF away from its original position away from the CG is fine.

More to come...
Last edited by rcpinoy; Oct 01, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2009, 08:36 PM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
OK after alot of reading and discussing the KF foil I decided to redux my thumb wing. The 9mm EPP was too thick according to the experts, so here is the FFF version still with the KF2 and 1/8 inch spacer.

Maiden tomorrow then maybe some color.
Old Oct 03, 2009, 11:47 PM
Joined Feb 2009
142 Posts
Nice!. is your spinner from bphobbies?... is it balanced when you got them?

by the way, can you show how you made the removable tail?

Mine is permanent, (wont really stay permanent , but broke twice on landing, i keep reglueing. I think I need to make it removable so I can keep making another one if it broke.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m2t2
OK after alot of reading and discussing the KF foil I decided to redux my thumb wing. The 9mm EPP was too thick according to the experts, so here is the FFF version still with the KF2 and 1/8 inch spacer.

Maiden tomorrow then maybe some color.
Old Oct 04, 2009, 12:33 AM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpinoy
Nice!. is your spinner from bphobbies?... is it balanced when you got them?

by the way, can you show how you made the removable tail?

Mine is permanent, (wont really stay permanent , but broke twice on landing, i keep reglueing. I think I need to make it removable so I can keep making another one if it broke.

Thanks!
Yes same spinner and no it was not balanced. I played your game with the sand paper.

Here is the tail pic from the original thread. Someones good idea, not mine, works great.
Old Oct 04, 2009, 10:03 PM
Joined Feb 2009
142 Posts
Here is how I did my removable tail, with an adaptor, so I can try different tail configurations.

Also, I'll use this tail configuration in the picture. On my old thumb wing, the original tail design would hit the ground most of the time during landing since it is lower than the belly. its my fourth time breaking/reglueing it. So, I did raised the new tail up this time.
Last edited by rcpinoy; Oct 05, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2009, 10:55 PM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
Looks great rcpinoy. I like the tail design. Mine drags the tail also but Ive yet to damage it.

I flew today in 18mph winds, no slope I thought better of it but I said what the heck. The glide is unbelievable however the weight is not optimal for those conditions.

I changed the fuse again, I struggle with fuses, I don't know. Here is a pic after the flight, slight wing damage but nothing some hot glue couldn't repair.