HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:16 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
598 Posts
Discussion
My wife had a lump.

We have been told repeatedly how bad the NHS in the UK is.
I have mentioned how despite being 83 my dad is getting treatment for his bad heart. So much for the “Death panels”.
On Monday my wife (Separated but still friends) had to go for a medical check up at her GP. The reason being she has a minor heart problem and the social services wanted to make sure it would not interfere with her fostering. She fosters under 5s, usually children of drug abusers, not exclusively, but mostly and with all the scary medical problems that brings. (To my mind a bloody good reason for not making class A drugs legal, a baby with Neonatal abstinence syndrome is not nice).
The upshot of the medical is that they found a lump, right where women do not want to find lumps.
To understand how scared she was she phoned me up, straight away. I usually find these things out a week later.
I got a phone call today; she had been phoned by Addenbrookes hospital and given an appointment for today, Thursday. She went, had a mass of tests, mammogram, ultrasound whatever and they were able to tell her she had 2 lumps, but they are fluid filled and present no threat. She has had the all clear.
Now let me say again, ignore the crap Mtngoat says about the NHS, he gets his rubbish from god knows where, but its does not present the reality. From the people who use it, take my word, it works, it aint broke, it may be bent and imperfect, but it works and works well.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:34 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,032 Posts
...I thought you were going to say "...and then I moved off the couch..."

Glad to hear she got the all clear!
Twizter68 is online now Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:35 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
All politics aside, I'm glad everything turned out OK. My wife has been through the scare twice, once nothing. The second time required a minor lumpectomy, testing and radiation, but nothing major. Nothing is worse than the time between finding it and getting this sorted out with the Doctor
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:40 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,312 Posts
Well that's an unexpected happy ending.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:40 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68
...I thought you were going to say "...and then I moved off the couch..."

Glad to hear she got the all clear!
It was more a case of ...and then I moved out!

Its brilliant she got the all clear, despite being unable to spend more than an hour in each other company or we will kill each other, I was very freaked out about it. I can't imagine how scared she was.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:46 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Glad to here it's relatively minor, Punkie.

My mom recently went through a lumpectomy, mastectomy, chemo and radiation. Currently having some issues with lymphedema, but not enough to stop her from going on a 3 week river cruise in the Netherlands, Germany and Austria. She figures she has one good European trip left in her, and she would rather do something new and exciting than sit around and reminisce about the good old days with friends and family in Switzerland. Gotta love her...

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:07 PM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
I'm very glad to hear it. My Dad and Mom have both had cancer treatments over the last couple of years and the treatment was fast and effective. Even with our current medical system.

I had a minor heart issue last year and received several tests within days of discovering an issue. Smooth as butter.

My son had his tonsils out. Despite what the Pres says, the doc didn't take em out because he needed the cash.
Tarpon Shawn is online now Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:07 PM
Suspended Account
Right here in the middle of the fly over zone
Joined Aug 2009
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
It was more a case of ...and then I moved out!

Its brilliant she got the all clear, despite being unable to spend more than an hour in each other company or we will kill each other, I was very freaked out about it. I can't imagine how scared she was.
Glad to here She got the all clear!

After the wife and I decided to stay together to torture each other under the theory of who would we rather torture but each other the 1 hour time limit went away and next thing we know we are best friends again.

Then we blamed the kids for driving wedges into the marriage and they suddenly grew up!
Now we all get along except the oldest and that mainly because he thinks drugs are some sort of solution to life's problem's, never realizing he is his own problem!

Your concern over your wife and her immediate call to you might be a clue to the future.
And torture is not so bad if you make it fun.

Glad things turened out good on the lump.
WildManWillie is offline Find More Posts by WildManWillie
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:13 PM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
364 Posts
I'm glad thing turned out well.

Interesting interview on the CBC yesterday about cancer diagnoses. Most of it seemed to focus on prostate. Upshot was, despite PSA tests and DRE's, most men will likely die with the disease, not of it.

Vis breast cancer, the stats are for the 10 years after 40, somewhat fewer than 2 women in 1000 who are screened for cancer will have it detected. Only a fraction of a percent more of that, who don't get screened will develop it in that period. Over 50, the development of cancer occurs in something like 1 in 1000. (That surprised me - my wife says it's because in that age group, most women are in full blown menopause, and the risks decline due to dropping estrogen.)

Now the kicker. IIRC 50% of women screened for cancer in the 10 years after 40 get a scare (false positive) and half (can't remember the statistic) develop some medical problem due to an intervention.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Marten
Marten is offline Find More Posts by Marten
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:14 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
It must be in the air - just back from the hospital with my own better half - she's was clear - big relief and smiles all round.

Our NHS ain't perfect but it's way better than some places I've lived and worked!
ENGINETORQUE is online now Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:19 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,388 Posts
Good news Punkie!

All the best to both of you!
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Sep 17, 2009, 03:16 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon Shawn
My son had his tonsils out. Despite what the Pres says, the doc didn't take em out because he needed the cash.
Obama said that your son had his tonsils taken out because the doctor needed the money?

Punkie, thanks for the report. My wife and I have been through the same experience and it's not pleasant. Confirming that the NHS isn't writing people off for dead is refreshing to read on this forum.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:02 PM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
Obama said that your son had his tonsils taken out because the doctor needed the money?
Even though I'm sure you knew exactly what I was refering to, here ya go:
Deflect away
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...allergies.html
Tarpon Shawn is online now Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:10 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon Shawn
Even though I'm sure you knew exactly what I was refering to, here ya go:
Deflect away
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...allergies.html
Nowhere in that speech did I hear your child's name mentioned. In fact, I didn't hear any child's name mentioned at all.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:25 PM
Suspended Account
Right here in the middle of the fly over zone
Joined Aug 2009
206 Posts
Smart playing dumb or dumb playing smart?
WildManWillie is offline Find More Posts by WildManWillie