Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 15, 2001, 09:34 PM
Indpls.,In.
Joined Oct 2000
461 Posts
Any advantage using AE cells for receiver batteries?

Are AE cells any improvement over using AA cells for the
receiver?
dvint is offline Find More Posts by dvint
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2001, 09:49 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,267 Posts
AEs are larger than AA cells, of Nicad makeup and would only make a heavier pack. Use AA or smaller NiMh for long duration and lighter weight.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 15, 2001, 11:03 PM
Rocket Scientist
Slidell,LA,USA
Joined Sep 2001
203 Posts
I checked a couple sources and 600AE's (0.63 oz.) are lighter than 700AA's (0.77 oz.) and have a higher energy density at 952 mah/oz. vs 909 mah/oz. If you have extra 600AE's use them but the 700AA's are cheaper and thinner and you can never be too rich or too thin. AAE's, AAU's and NiMh AA's and AAA's are all going to have better energy density but will also cost more and all except the NiMh AAA's will weigh a little more.

Tim Knowles
dtknowles is offline Find More Posts by dtknowles
Old Sep 17, 2001, 08:17 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
If you fly when it gets nippy- i.e. around 45 degrees or chillier, leave the NiMH cells at home.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Sep 17, 2001, 08:42 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
600AEs are lighter than 600-ish AAs - anything lighter is good!

To quote a CL flier, whose name I cannot recall, "It's easier to take a gram off each of 100 pieces of model, that to take 100 gm off the finished model".
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 17, 2001, 09:30 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,553 Posts
Would it also be correct to state that 600AEs are more amenable to fast-charging at the field than our bog-standard 600AAs ? This could be an advantage to us mixed electric/IC pilots or those that do not use a BEC by making our "just-in-time" charging regime consistent between our electric and IC models.

Put simply you wouldn't have to worry about a 14 hour C/10 charge the day before going flying you could fast charge your RX pack with impunity on the way to the field or when you get there.

cheers

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 17, 2001, 09:44 AM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
leccyflier: Exactly my thoughts. I switched to using only 600AE's in my receiver battery packs about a year ago. I use a home-made "Power Pole-to-Futaba" adapter to fast charge our receiver packs before flying and at the field. At the field, I use an ESV to keep track of the receiver pack's voltage, recharging as needed.

Since the transmitter packs hold their charges much longer than receiver packs, it lets us fly at much shorter notice.

BTW, I do cycle the receiver packs periodically, including recharging via a regular radio charger.

Bill B.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 03:43 AM
Swedes don't grow on trees
Sverige, Stockholms Lšn, Stockholm
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Cullen
Would it also be correct to state that 600AEs are more amenable to fast-charging at the field than our bog-standard 600AAs ?
Me thinks so too. But, I have also resorted to Sanyo N-3US, which is a 1000 mAh AA-sized NiCd. It also seems more suited to fast charging than normal AA-cells. I also run my S400 ships on the N-3US. I get slightly more punch and longer run time and they seem to put up with the abuse just as well as the 600AE.

/ Jonas
Jonas Leander is offline Find More Posts by Jonas Leander
Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:34 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
The ability to fast charge is key. I use fast charge NiCads or NiMH or in all my sailplanes, where weight is not an issue. For any other plane, I'd use small NiMH packs, and bring a couple extras along.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo