HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2009, 03:49 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Discussion
Tax hikes on health care in Baucus plan

Nice. Raise taxes on people who have good plans. "Spread the wealth around".

Quote:
It's not every day that you hear a Democratic senator charge that a fellow Democrat is proposing to raise taxes on the middle class, but that is what happened on Tuesday when Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., ripped into the health-care bill developed by Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mt., the chairman of the Senate Finance Committee.

The Baucus proposal would impose, starting in 2013, a 35 percent excise tax on insurance companies for "high-cost plans" -- defined as those above $8,000 for individuals and $21,000 for family plans.

Health economists believe a tax on high-priced benefits could help slow the growth of health costs by making consumers more sensitive to prices.

The tax contemplated by Baucus is also a big revenue raiser. It is expected to raise $200 billion, money that Baucus is hoping to use to pay for subsidies for the uninsured.
And of course, the way to 'make consumers more sensitive to prices' cannot be allowing actual markets...it's by using the govt to force some to pay more in taxes.Why does every solution have to involve govt force?

Dem senator warns of 35% taxes on 'high price' health insurance. What a way to make health care cheaper. You make it more expensive!
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:27 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Nice. Raise taxes on people who have good plans. "Spread the wealth around".

And of course, the way to 'make consumers more sensitive to prices' cannot be allowing actual markets...it's by using the govt to force some to pay more in taxes.Why does every solution have to involve govt force?

Dem senator warns of 35% taxes on 'high price' health insurance. What a way to make health care cheaper. You make it more expensive!
Brought to you by the folks who are going to spend their way out of bankruptcy.
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:52 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Oh crap! As an evil Capitalist, I totally overlooked the really cool idea of making my customers pay me a penalty for not buying from me rather than just "encouraging" them to buy from me using my marketing strategies.

We evil Capitalists have a lot to learn from our wonderful public servants who only have our best interests in mind... except, wait a minute! How could our public servants be so honest and good when they're the ones who thought up this wonderfully evil way to take money away from people.
I've got to go to a quiet place and think about this.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Sep 17, 2009, 07:00 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
From what I saw yesterday, Ol' Max couldn't even get another senator to come out to the podium with him while he announced the plan. I don't think his stone will gather any moss, it's not even going to roll.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Sep 17, 2009, 07:25 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,688 Posts
Fines for failing to purchase insurance are taxes by another name!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Sep 17, 2009, 07:33 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56
Fines for failing to purchase insurance are taxes by another name!
That situation isn't even close to taxation.

Whatever Leftists think about how far the government can go, I'm willing to bet that a penalty for not buying health insurance isn't going to pass any Constitutional smell test.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:00 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Lot's of brave talk from 'healthy' young men on here - see you again in thirty years or so - wonder if you'll have the same song sheet on the go (doubt it somehow)!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:03 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE
Lot's of brave talk from 'healthy' young men on here - see you again in thirty years or so - wonder if you'll have the same song sheet on the go (doubt it somehow)!
Sorry, bud. Old, diabetic, guy here.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:06 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
I would say brave talk from sensible men. Who can get behind something that we cannot afford?? We NEED a plan but we also need one that will work and one we can afford. We also need one that will work from the begining with our current shortage of doctors and infrastructure. None of the dem plans even consider this.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:07 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
Sorry, bud. Old, diabetic, guy here.
Same here.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:45 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:

sorry, I judge issues on defending people's rights...not how much flesh I can get from them to benefit me.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:51 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
You know, that statement really says a mouthful when you think about the implications behind it.
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:10 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
If you only knew...

My principles are not based upon my personal wants or needs.
What's right is right, and what's wrong is wrong.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:58 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
sorry, I judge issues on defending people's rights...not how much flesh I can get from them to benefit me.

On many other issues I'd be right with you - healthcare is 'different' and somehow, above all that!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:37 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
On many other issues I'd be right with you - healthcare is 'different' and somehow, above all that!
it's no different at all. Healthcare is a commodity.