SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jeff262, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:54 PM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
884 Posts
Discussion
should i get an expensive or cheap Biscuit Joiner

i plan on doing more wood working this winter and i found that i can get Biscuit Joiners that range from $399 for a Dewalt or $39 for an ebay one...is the Dewalt that much better? what should i be looking for in a joiner?
thanks jeff
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:31 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Seems to me it depends on how much you plan to use it. Are you amateur or pro? Couple of home projects or contracts? I would think somewhere in between to at least get some quality. I seriously doubt a $40 unit will make you happy.

Looks like Craftman has a couple that might do the trick...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...late%20jointer

This one specifically...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rs#reviewsWrap
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:39 PM
Need more time....
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined May 2003
245 Posts
In my many years of being poor and buying tools the one thing I learned is that you usually get what you pay for. If you go cheap, expect the same results. Now that is not saying that this is a hard and fast rule, but I remember back to the cheap wrench set I bought when I was a young E4 with three dependents, and when an open end wrench snapped I broke my hand on the engine block, I decided then to always buy the best tools I could afford and it hasn't done me wrong since. My 2 cents...

Mark
MarkFitzgerald is offline Find More Posts by MarkFitzgerald
Old Sep 17, 2009, 03:09 PM
The SEFF telescope guy.
Savannah, Ga.
Joined Apr 2006
1,118 Posts
If the tool won't cut the grooves for the biscuits at the same depth repeatedly you will end up with poorly fitted joints. It should also be easy to handle. I have a Porter Cable 557 (Amazon price $219) and like it. Look at the reviews on Amazon. See if people are happy with what they bought. Lots of units there are about $200. I doubt that the $39 unit would be easy to get a good job from.
Dave Burrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Burrow
Old Sep 17, 2009, 03:54 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFitzgerald
In my many years of being poor and buying tools the one thing I learned is that you usually get what you pay for. If you go cheap, expect the same results. ...

Mark
Yep...I find the cheap tools end up costing you more in the long run.

Speaking of wrenches...I recently bought some ratcheting wrenches. 2 wrenches=8 sockets.

I like it when I need to buy a new tool for a specific job.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:34 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
I join my biscuits with butter and honey.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Sep 26, 2009, 06:45 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot
I join my biscuits with butter and honey.
Then that's where the goats come in.