HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoung3000 View Post
Hey Bill & Jack!

Yep, it's been awhile since I posted anything. I've been away from the hobby for a long time and just started to get back into it.

I was a die-hard 5G6 flyer for the longest time. Such a cool heli but those co-axe heli's are a b*itch to keep in the air. When I think of all the hours trying to get those gears lined up right, just didn't have the energy anymore.

The CB100 is almost as stable as the 5G6 when set up right and banks better in the turns. Looking forward to flying again!
It's got to be boring for you not to have to covert a tiny heli to brushless. Yes, those gears needing alignment is a giant PITA!! You no sooner align them and they start getting chewed up again!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2011, 05:13 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjavate View Post
Walkera of america has V120D01 for 149 with free shipping. i bought my second cb100 from them and it was in perfect working condition.

I actually have a v120D02 but im finding jumping from cb100 to a CP heli like the V120D02 is difficult. im getting the hang of the D02 slowly but im so tempted to take a step back and get a V120D01.
Well,ill just say get on phoenix sim to find your feet and test lots of helis and see what one you like to fly,general rule is the bigger the heli the more stable and easy to fly,also do you want to fly indoor or outdoor? that 4#3 is a right handfull in the house,,,i have a 450 and its great to fly but needs lots of room to enjoy and relax,,might try a 250 next as they seem fun on the sim.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:21 PM
Team WarpSquad
Hollywood CA
Joined Jan 2008
1,012 Posts
CB100 gear pin idea

One of the hardest parts of the CB100 for me to replace was always that damn little pin that holds the main gear.

It's so microscopic small and you have to line it up with the holes just right or *PING* it fly's across the room!

I stumbled across this idea and it's working like a charm.

I took a sewing needle (not sure the diameter), fit it though the opening and snapped off the excess. It was big enough that I could get a good grip and the pointy end was easy to guide it through.

I literally had this in and ready to go in under a minute. It would have taken me forever, and a share of cuss words, before.
cyoung3000 is offline Find More Posts by cyoung3000
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:30 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
If I remember correctly, mine is a paper clip with the bends bent over so it won't come flying back out again.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:45 AM
Team WarpSquad
Hollywood CA
Joined Jan 2008
1,012 Posts
XTreme Blades for the CB100

I got a pair of the X-treme hardened blades for my CB100.

I had to swap out the main shaft to fix a wobbling problem so I put these on at the same time.

They are MUCH stiffer and a little thicker than the stock blades but don't really feel any heavier.

About a dozen or so crashes and they're still like new.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:39 PM
Team WarpSquad
Hollywood CA
Joined Jan 2008
1,012 Posts
CB100 Twitchy Tail Problem and solution

So after rebuilding my CB100 I noticed the tail was really twitchy.

It would suddenly shoot from side to side for no reason. Everything looked mechanically sound so I couldn't figure out why.

I read a forum where another CB100 owner had the same problem and fixed it by squeezing the receiver just a little bit. I thought this was a little silly but tried it anyways.

Guess what?

No more twitch.

*Note to self*......just because it sounds simple doesn't mean it's not worth trying...
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:27 PM
T-REX 250 -450-500-600-700G
ITALY, PAVIA
Joined Mar 2009
344 Posts
Quote:

It would suddenly shoot from side to side for no reason. Everything looked mechanically sound so I couldn't figure out why.

I read a forum where another CB100 owner had the same problem and fixed it by squeezing the receiver just a little bit. I thought this was a little silly but tried it anyways.

Guess what?

No more twitch.

*Note to self*......just because it sounds simple doesn't mean it's not worth trying...
- check the heli with standard blades if fly ok. Xtreme blades are heavier and strenghten vibrations, also have more torque and heavier work for the tail rotor.
in any case:
- check if main shaft is bent
- may be you have some flapping in the head - check oring dumper
- with xtreme blade if not well aligned often cause tail wag,
- try lower the gyro gain on the rx.
I-FELN is offline Find More Posts by I-FELN
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:18 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
It would seem that he already rectified the problem.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:32 AM
Sydney
Joined Mar 2009
142 Posts
I had the tail twitch/wag problem, and noticed that the yellow housing case of the Rx was starting to crack along one of the corners. I thought that maybe this cracked section was vibrating and upsetting the gyro so I glued up the Rx rx along the split.

The next flight was an absolute dream. The heli flew like it was on rails and I had one of the best flights ever with it!

Then the next battery.... and the heli was back to it's old waggy tail again and no the Rx housing hasn't split again......

The bottom line is, as strange as a solution sounds, I'm inclinded to belive it... or at least try it.
Gmozz is offline Find More Posts by Gmozz
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:50 AM
Micro-Heli-Addict
Preston, Idaho
Joined Jan 2011
474 Posts
Quote:

Guess what?

No more twitch.

I've heard of this solution, but it's probably a bad connection on the circuit board that you are temporarily fixing.

I understand that the so called crystal comes loose and can cause this problem. Pic attached. You might want to check it out.
jlbrandt01 is offline Find More Posts by jlbrandt01
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:42 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrandt01 View Post
I understand that the so called crystal comes loose and can cause this problem. Pic attached. You might want to check it out.
That picture looks suspiciously familiar.
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:42 PM
Micro-Heli-Addict
Preston, Idaho
Joined Jan 2011
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
That picture looks suspiciously familiar.
Yep, I'm sure you know where I found it.
jlbrandt01 is offline Find More Posts by jlbrandt01
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrandt01 View Post
I've heard of this solution, but it's probably a bad connection on the circuit board that you are temporarily fixing.

It's also possible that the little POS crystal will break a leg and give you intermittent connection that will cause your heli to bind and un-bind at will depending on vibration. It happened to my 5G6-1 and I thought I was getting short flights because of a bad battery, etc. It wasn't until I was messing with it without the canopy that I suddenly saw the LED start blinking. What I assumed was a weak battery was the heli losing communications and going into SAFE mose and slowly drifting to the floor. The solution, before the crystal leg breaks, is to put a nice big gob of hot glue on it to protect it and keep it from coming loose.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:43 PM
Team WarpSquad
Hollywood CA
Joined Jan 2008
1,012 Posts
I started seeing more tail twitch today.

While troubleshooting I noticed when I took the canopy off it flew like BUTTER.

Something in the RX is acting weird and removing the canopy is making it work better. I think the pressure from the canopy is making something on the RX circuit boards not make contact right.

I took I-FELN's advice and went back to the stock blades instead of the X-Treme blades. Not sure if this was a factor or not but tried anyway.

It flies so stable now I could almost go to the kitchen for a beer and it'll still be hovering when I get back..
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:28 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
there's good reason this model has been so popular for so long...
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca