Old Sep 21, 2009, 02:20 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross
i love this vid! because of skipping that bad boy off the ground
Thanks bud. Kinda explains why I wear my skids down to the wires before I replace them. LOL.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Okay, I have her dialed in pretty solid now. Took her up last nite and right hand and left hand funnels are a lot smoother. FFF is really solid and the Ail response is very quick. Looked at the flybar ring on the 4#3b and the CB100 head will need some mod'g in order for it to fit. Will be interesting to see what happens when I have the parts to do some real mod'g to the head.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 05:21 PM
Efficiency Freak!
Toanawanda NY
Joined Nov 2006
1,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji
There is definitely a place for the TechHead. I was not giving it full cyclic. There was alot still left as far as throwing it around. Problem was wind that afternoon. In a still day, I can really get her moving pretty fast. The truth is, the tail does bobble a little coming out of FFF and in order to fly outdoors in a breeze you need to fly the nose. Coming out a banked turn a little too nose down with the breeze and its going down. Other than that it is pretty stable but is not as nimble as my 4#3b.
Thanks dkfuji!

I've got CB100 head parts on the way now. Just head, flybar and links from John.

Your report is right on what I imagined it would be. Thanks for the confirmation.

The 45* FB offset of the CB100 will not be right from my findings so far with TechHead mock-ups, but the only way to know is to try it! Ya know?!

I've got a new design idea for the TechHead! It's a secret for obvious reasons but I can say it will work for any 4#3 size heli in any configuration your heart desires!

I have an appointment with my best friend/CAD man this weekend, so lets hope it goes well!

He's a busy man working full time with travel and going for his masters full time as well, so lets hope I can GIT some time with him this weekend.

Thanks for all the setup advice for those who have a CB100 dk!

Later,
Jay
GITech is offline Find More Posts by GITech
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:33 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Have a question for anyone for the CB100.
If you reduce the flybar weights and shorten the flybar, will this
take away some or a lot of the self stabilizing? I know it should make it more touchy
and responsive or will the 45 degree flybar design keep it super stable no matter what you do, donít bother?

I want to make my CB100 not so stable (coaxial like) and handle more like the 4#3B.
So do I have the right idea of much less flybar weight and shorter flybar?

I was going to just get the 4#3B but thought I could tweak the CB100
to be closer like the 4#3B and yet still be more stable. Kind of best of both worlds.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:56 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Nov 30, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:35 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
It seems what you are really looking for is an MSR.
When I went to look at a MSR at the hobby store he flew it for me.
I saw how strongly it wanted to hover and go back into a hover no
matter what he did. This is acting too much like a coaxial for me
so I found the 4#3B and then the CB100.

The MSR is super stable, responsive, and flyís very fast but it's just not
what I am looking for.
Hope the CB100 wasn't a wrong choice also but I am hoping I can get it
to behave more like a 4#3B and not a coaxial by changing the flybar weights and making the flybar shorter.

Tom
Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z
take away some or a lot of the self stabilizing? I know it should make it more touchy
and responsive or will the 45 degree flybar design keep it super stable no matter what you do, donít bother?

I want to make my CB100 not so stable (coaxial like) and handle more like the 4#3B.

to be closer like the 4#3B and yet still be more stable. Kind of best of both worlds.

Tom
I'm waiting for the results of guys like you with all of the new heli's out there, but this sure does look like a nice heli. I'm sure you were a coax pilot at one time, or maybe still are one, but the shortened flybar/stabilizer with adjustable weights is a big deal for forward flight. I experienced the "porpoising" on my Lama 4. It would go maybe 10 feet forward, stop and hover momentarily, and go another 10 feet, etc. I could not get rid of that tendency to stabilize until I tried the shorter stabilizer. All you would need to do is drill a through hole in each weight so it can slide along the bar and add a set screw so it can be locked down wherever you need it to be. The problem is the size you have to deal with on a palm size heli. The through hole is just a continuation of what's there already. The set screw for each weight would have to be tiny. In American/ English threads, I think you're talking something like an 0-80.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:46 PM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,675 Posts
Quote:
When I went to look at a MSR at the hobby store he flew it for me.
I saw how strongly it wanted to hover and go back into a hover no
matter what he did. This is acting too much like a coaxial for me
so I found the 4#3B and then the CB100.

The MSR is super stable, responsive, and flyís very fast but it's just not
what I am looking for.
Hope the CB100 wasn't a wrong choice also but I am hoping I can get it
to behave more like a 4#3B and not a coaxial by changing the flybar weights and making the flybar shorter.

Tom
It's a good thing that you didn't try the msr. You would be $150 poorer right now.
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:40 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GITech
Thanks dkfuji!

I've got CB100 head parts on the way now. Just head, flybar and links from John.

Your report is right on what I imagined it would be. Thanks for the confirmation.

The 45* FB offset of the CB100 will not be right from my findings so far with TechHead mock-ups, but the only way to know is to try it! Ya know?!

I've got a new design idea for the TechHead! It's a secret for obvious reasons but I can say it will work for any 4#3 size heli in any configuration your heart desires!

I have an appointment with my best friend/CAD man this weekend, so lets hope it goes well!

He's a busy man working full time with travel and going for his masters full time as well, so lets hope I can GIT some time with him this weekend.

Thanks for all the setup advice for those who have a CB100 dk!

Later,
Jay
Hi Jay. You are welcome. When you come up with the new TechHead please let me know. I would love to be a beta tester.

Quote:

Tom
Tom. If you set it up the way I described you will be amazed at how nimble you can get the CB100 to be. It does work. Will take some practice to master the movement, but it is a blast to fly and it is still stable enough to fly thru chair legs. LOL.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:53 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeflyer
It's a good thing that you didn't try the msr. You would be $150 poorer right now.
Do you have one? I do and just got the CB100 and also have the 4G3 and 4G6 so I can compare pretty well. I like them all and they all have strong points and negs. I have only been flying single rotors for a little over a year so I cannot 3D but can throw a heli around pretty good. I bought the CB100 for one reason and I think I did good. I am in NY and winter is coming so I want a mild flier for inside. I really dont like FP helis anymore and dont own any. Not responsive enough. EX, If you get too sideways whipping the CB100 around good bye. You will crash. You can get a 4G3 or 4G6 sideway and 6" from the ground and can still save it. I like the MSR cus it has good FF speed and I can fly it in a litle bit of wind. Actually alot of wind for a small heli but you cannot even think of hovering as you have to be constant on the FF stick. Anyway I got mine to work on inside nose in hovering. I dont like the MSR for that but do like the CB100 for that. I will leave it bone stock cus I feel it flies best for what I bought it for. IMO, why mod the sh*t out of it with bigger motors cus when you are all done it is still a FP heli. There is a reason for nobody making a FP 450 class heli. Not many would buy one as only a noob would even want one. The MSR will CRUSH this heli in any wind for FF. Again not saying it is better. The CB100 does not do well in wind at all. Overall I like the heli and not sorry I got it so far. Also the canopy is a nice change to the played out Red.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2009, 03:00 PM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony
Do you have one? I do and just got the CB100 and also have the 4G3 and 4G6 so I can compare pretty well. I like them all and they all have strong points and negs. I have only been flying single rotors for a little over a year so I cannot 3D but can throw a heli around pretty good. I bought the CB100 for one reason and I think I did good. I am in NY and winter is coming so I want a mild flier for inside. I really dont like FP helis anymore and dont own any. Not responsive enough. EX, If you get too sideways whipping the CB100 around good bye. You will crash. You can get a 4G3 or 4G6 sideway and 6" from the ground and can still save it. I like the MSR cus it has good FF speed and I can fly it in a litle bit of wind. Actually alot of wind for a small heli but you cannot even think of hovering as you have to be constant on the FF stick. Anyway I got mine to work on inside nose in hovering. I dont like the MSR for that but do like the CB100 for that. I will leave it bone stock cus I feel it flies best for what I bought it for. IMO, why mod the sh*t out of it with bigger motors cus when you are all done it is still a FP heli. There is a reason for nobody making a FP 450 class heli. Not many would buy one as only a noob would even want one. The MSR will CRUSH this heli in any wind for FF. Again not saying it is better. The CB100 does not do well in wind at all. Overall I like the heli and not sorry I got it so far. Also the canopy is a nice change to the played out Red.
Hi Tony.

I have an msr and I love it. I agree with everything that you are saying. I don't have the CB100 yet, but I'm sure that I will own one one of these days. I don't do 3d either and am able to fly pretty well, probably about your level.
I must say that I really enjoy what the msr can do and I really wanted to hear about the comparision by someone who has both. I have an original 4#3 with the AEO brushless conversion and I can say that the msr makes my 4#3 feel like a tank.

Thanks for the info.
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:12 PM
Permanently Banned
Stumptown
Joined May 2008
305 Posts
Quote:

Tom
Try replacing the weights with small paddles. When the flybar is not perpendicular to the main shaft (when maneuvering and changing attitude), the paddles will 'fly' back to being perpendicular. This should make the heli more maneuverable and possibly better at handling wind while remaining stable. A possible downside is a small phase angle shift.

Just a guess since I don't have one yet.
underthefloor is offline Find More Posts by underthefloor
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:31 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
I'm waiting for the results of guys like you with all of the new heli's out there, but this sure does look like a nice heli. I'm sure you were a coax pilot at one time, or maybe still are one, but the shortened flybar/stabilizer with adjustable weights is a big deal for forward flight. I experienced the "porpoising" on my Lama 4. It would go maybe 10 feet forward, stop and hover momentarily, and go another 10 feet, etc. I could not get rid of that tendency to stabilize until I tried the shorter stabilizer. All you would need to do is drill a through hole in each weight so it can slide along the bar and add a set screw so it can be locked down wherever you need it to be. The problem is the size you have to deal with on a palm size heli. The through hole is just a continuation of what's there already. The set screw for each weight would have to be tiny. In American/ English threads, I think you're talking something like an 0-80.
I was that's why I'm focusing on the flybar. Maybe it's not the same on a FP.
Looks like I will be the first one to try out different flybar weights and lengths
on the CB100.
Good idea on the weights.
I have many different kinds and weights to try out.
They all have set screw(s) in them.

I want a micro to practice on indoors mostly and outdoors with light wind.
Figure the micro FP will help me out with my T-rex 450 SE V2 much more
than a coaxial will. So that is my reason I don't want the CB100 too much
like a coaxial. The closer to a FP the better so I can practice what I need
to do on the T-rex.

Also practice on my simulator a lot and have been for years now.
Can fly it well including hover nose in, tail in, sideways both directions,
circles both directions, and figure eights. Even hover inverted some.
But itís much harder to fly for real!

Tom
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:39 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthefloor
Try replacing the weights with small paddles. When the flybar is not perpendicular to the main shaft (when maneuvering and changing attitude), the paddles will 'fly' back to being perpendicular. This should make the heli more maneuverable and possibly better at handling wind while remaining stable. A possible downside is a small phase angle shift.

Just a guess since I don't have one yet.
Thanks, were thinking the same.
I bought 4#3b flybar paddles and connectors to try that out when I bought
the CB100. Should have everything on Saturday.
Will be interesting to see what happens...

Tom
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:50 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji

Tom. If you set it up the way I described you will be amazed at how nimble you can get the CB100 to be. It does work. Will take some practice to master the movement, but it is a blast to fly and it is still stable enough to fly thru chair legs. LOL.

Sounds good and plan on doing everything you suggested!
After that I will try some more things as I like to experiment on
my helicopters to see what happens and get the best flyer for me.

Thanks for the information you sent me on the motors!
Will order a motor/esc next week.
I overlooked that this is a micro heli and weight is everything. Keep it as light
as possible. I'm too use to my super modified coaxial and T-rex 450 and just
put things on and not worry about the added weight.

Tom