SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:06 PM
United States, OK, Ada
Joined Jun 2007
577 Posts
I just couldn't stand it anymore and had to start hacking on the little bugger. It all happened on my first outdoor flight, when some wind helped me land, uh, abruptly. The tail motor quit completely, and I found that one of the tail motor wires had come un-soldered right at the tail motor.

I had it on the bench. The soldering iron was hot, and well, off I went.....

The stock weight without battery on mine was 52 grams. I removed the main motor connector and wiring and huge gobs of heat shrink, put new tail motor wires on, I replaced the tail motor connector and eliminated some of the clumsy tail wiring. I replaced the heat shrink on the RX and both ESC's.

I'm now at 50 grams without battery. Jeez, that was a lot of work for 2 grams.....

rcflyair
rcflyair is online now Find More Posts by rcflyair
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:41 PM
Tennesee
Joined Feb 2007
504 Posts
Was it worth the effort? Does it fly differently?
vanman2004b is offline Find More Posts by vanman2004b
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:49 PM
Wales UK
Joined Oct 2008
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Thanks cyoung3000! , I understand now. The post I saw was for the 2.9G motor which does have a clip as in your picture and that is why I can't find it. I have the 2G motor.
The 2G motor just snaps out as Andy shows.

Thanks Andy!
That is pretty simpile. I didn't want to pull too much as I thought
there was a C-clip holding it in.
If you take it off can you put it back on? Or does it run it?

To replace the tail fin. Just replaced the fin tonight.
I thought if you can pull the motor apart the fin would
slide over the motor and you wouldn't have to unsolder the wires then resolder them.
But after seeing Andy's picture that might not work.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Tom
Yes it just slides back on and the magnets hold it in place. Unfortunately you will have to desolder and remove the motor to replace the fin. Even with the rotor removed it will not pass over the hub!

Regards Andy
thats.andy is offline Find More Posts by thats.andy
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:53 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thats.andy View Post
Yes it just slides back on and the magnets hold it in place. Unfortunately you will have to desolder and remove the motor to replace the fin. Even with the rotor removed it will not pass over the hub!

Regards Andy
OK, thanks! It was worth looking into...

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:26 AM
United States, OK, Ada
Joined Jun 2007
577 Posts
Quote:
Was it worth the effort? Does it fly differently?
I can't say I notice the 2 grams all by itself, but when I fly a 450mAh pack (11.8 grams) instead of the stock 500mAh pack (15.0 grams), and that in combination with the 2.0 grams I shaved off the wiring for a total of 5.2 grams it DOES fly differently. A little fluffier and more responsive......

I should be timing my flights, but haven't got around to it.

I chickened out and didn't remove the Walkera connector between the speed controllers. I'm thinking a 1 gram tail speed control may need to go on there.

I sure looks a lot cleaner, the canopy comes on and off much, much better, and with the new heat shrink around the rx/gyro, I have better control of the foam tape mount for vibration to the gyro....

rcflyair
rcflyair is online now Find More Posts by rcflyair
Last edited by rcflyair; Feb 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 01:37 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
those 1 and 2 grams add up....it does make a difference, when you end up taking 10% off the AUW.
regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:46 AM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertflyer1 View Post

this is the best advice regarding repair i've seen to date. so funny!!!!

no coffee oh man that is perfect. my cute blond assistant would like to strangle me when she keeps talking and her taken table has been hijacked for weeks.

BTW- do we have a surgeon here? hemostats... ; ) would make sense though
Got them and use them all the time. Very handy little tools. Wish I had a cute blond assistant. Of course all my attention is on the helis so I have a feeling she would not be around very long...and I probably wouldn't notice she's gone anyway. LOL.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:50 AM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
Hi Darryl,
Don't know what I did wrong Made the switch to the 180` swash setting and it works great. Set up a new model in the 2801 and was not getting any response, at all...then remembered to go to subtrim and turn the throttle as low as possible. life is good now!
thanks,
Bill
Hi Bill. Glad it worked out. Keep flying and having fun man.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:07 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Darryl,
Just for fun, I took the paddles off and left the connectors on. Got a perfect little house flier. I imagine it behaves very similar to the CB100. Still quite responsive to cyclic and get better throttle response due the the lower mass in the rotor. and w/o all that excess linkage! I think it's ready for a BL motor, when I get back to the States...am in Oz until Monday.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:47 AM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
Hi Darryl,
Just for fun, I took the paddles off and left the connectors on. Got a perfect little house flier. I imagine it behaves very similar to the CB100. Still quite responsive to cyclic and get better throttle response due the the lower mass in the rotor. and w/o all that excess linkage! I think it's ready for a BL motor, when I get back to the States...am in Oz until Monday.

regards,
Bill
Very cool Bill. Oz as in Australia or Kansas? LOL. Anyway, got a bright idea and stuck a HP08 on 19t in my CB100. Holy mackeral batman!!! I think it may be a little overkill for this heli. It really moves in FFF and recovers nicely in hard banked turns. Still tries to pull itself up coming out of fast banking turns and transitioning to FFF again. But it is a blast to fly. HP06 may be enough for this little gal. The work continues...
Old Oct 30, 2009, 04:45 AM
Joined Sep 2009
294 Posts
question about the HP05S Outrunner how much more power does it have over the stock ? and how much less weight does it have over the stock motor ?
dazzer30k is offline Find More Posts by dazzer30k
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:32 AM
Joined Sep 2009
68 Posts
I have a stock tail motor which gets got after a couple of minutes flight and causes the heli to yaw left. Is there anything I can do apart from replace the motor? Is there any lubrication required in these brushless motors? Can Anyone suggest any other reason for the motor getting hot, I have got the gold washer between the motor and the tail prop?

Regards

Paul.
pgs43 is offline Find More Posts by pgs43
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:14 AM
Joined Sep 2009
294 Posts
im still new to rc helis so this might be lame question but what is the black tool that comes with the cb100 used for ?
dazzer30k is offline Find More Posts by dazzer30k
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:21 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
Very cool Bill. Oz as in Australia or Kansas? LOL. Anyway, got a bright idea and stuck a HP08 on 19t in my CB100. Holy mackeral batman!!! I think it may be a little overkill for this heli. It really moves in FFF and recovers nicely in hard banked turns. Still tries to pull itself up coming out of fast banking turns and transitioning to FFF again. But it is a blast to fly. HP06 may be enough for this little gal. The work continues...
Two things funny in that post....

First.... I read your 2nd sentence and grouped it as "Oz as in Australia" ....now that's pretty Australian....can't get more Oz than "Oz as". Just an association that us upside-downers recognize and attribute to being really Australian.

Secondly....an HPO8 in a CB...that would be amusing. How'd the tail hold?

And on a serious note..do you know the weight of the wk tail esc stripped? (no wires or shrink)

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Oct 30, 2009, 08:42 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranavalona View Post
Thanks, desertflyer1, for being cool about my rather pompous post! I take on board all that you say.

My first 4 channel was the walkera 5#6 sub-micro co-ax. Twitchy little sod with a tendency to attempt suicide against the nearest wall, person, or TV screen! Nothing to do with the pilot, of course! The first time I stripped it down it took most of the morning, with feelings of dread every time I undid a tiny screw and an absolute certainty that it would never fly again. By the third time there was no repair that took more than half an hour from crash to flying again.

It's like the flying itself - practise is the key.

Happy flying. And fixing!
One of the BIG problems with Walkera heli's is the cheap screws. The heads want to round out if you look at them funny. As mentioned, get a good asortment of screwdrivers before you do too much.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Last edited by kodak_jack; Oct 30, 2009 at 08:49 AM.