SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:50 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,105 Posts
Discussion
What would you like?

We pretty much know what AMA is now and what services it provides.

I would like to know: What would you like AMA to provide as a national quasi government body for you, your local area/club, your city, your state, your district, your communication system, etc.?

In other words, what is your dream organization?

Thanks,

Bob Reynolds
AMA District 10 AVP
AMA L3006
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
National quasi government body ? What do you mean by this description ? Please define your use of this wording to describe the AMA . And to answer your question what I would like to see is general info {no names or addresses please! } on accidents and accident circumstances such that we may possibly prevent repeat accidents through proper safety education . While preventing most accidents is simply a matter of following good safety practice there are some accidents that , untill they happen , no one could possibly imagine beforehand and thats where a listing of ALL accidents could really help .
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:02 PM View Post
littlecrankshaft
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Widespread). Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:13 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaft
I think AMA should have complete and total control of model aviation.

No one should be allowed to fly models unless AMA has issued privilege in the form of an AMA license.

AMA should make every effort to see that modelers should not fly in public parks unless they pay for the license issued by the AMA. AMA should come up with some Program to keep park flying under control no matter the cost. Having people willy-nilly going to public parks and flying their parkies should not be allowed.

This country will go to hel! if people are given to much freedom. We need to control every aspect of model aviation...
hello troll

reported.

Crankshaft... the moderator already reviewed this post when he looked at yours and gave you the warning point.

Reporting it is doing you no good.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Last edited by fhhuber506771; Sep 17, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaft
I think AMA should have complete and total control of model aviation.

No one should be allowed to fly models unless AMA has issued privilege in the form of an AMA license.

AMA should make every effort to see that modelers should not fly in public parks unless they pay for the license issued by the AMA. AMA should come up with some Program to keep park flying under control no matter the cost. Having people willy-nilly going to public parks and flying their parkies should not be allowed.

This country will go to hel! if people are given to much freedom. We need to control every aspect of model aviation...
Come on now Littlecrankshaft the man asked an honest question and deserves a better answer than one loaded with sarcasm . Do you have any GOOD ideas for the AMA ? I think I gave a good answer with my report of all accidents to help prevent repeats . What have you got ??????
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:37 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
What I would like to see is an information packet sent to each member explaining what the AMA REALLY is all about.

Include a copy of the original charter, some history of the organization and the current bylaws.

Because of a tradition of clubs marketing the AMA as being for the insurance that is all that a lot of members see... an insurance company.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:56 PM
Joined Sep 2001
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun
Come on now Littlecrankshaft the man asked an honest question and deserves a better answer than one loaded with sarcasm . Do you have any GOOD ideas for the AMA ? I think I gave a good answer with my report of all accidents to help prevent repeats . What have you got ??????
Hey, you ever heard if you can't beat them, join them. We are inevitably headed to a situation that parallels my post anyway...why fight it any longer?

I have continually offered alternate rationales but rarely have any positive response to my posts. Now, I go the other way and I am called a troll by a master troll. But it’s OK for him to do whatever...

The AMA is becoming more and more about the AMA. Most responses will be about how the AMA can serve AMA better and any other viewpoints aren’t allowed.

An organization founded or existing only to better it self is pointless. Very few things have been expressed in this forum that is genuinely about promoting the hobby…especially above and beyond the AMA.

So I give up.
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:41 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
This is relative to my interests seeing as how I just joined this morning. The main reason I joined is so I can apply for membership at a local club (and everything that entails--insurance, the magazine, etc.). Now then... does the AMA actually have lobbyists? I would personally love to be able to tell my local parks commission that their signs on what is and what isn't allowed in their parks is out dated, but without some official (or even quasi-official) sanctioned governing body to back me up, I don't really stand a snowflake's chance in Hades. So I guess that's the kind of thing an "ideal" AMA would be able to do in my eyes.
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Id rather you not give up {or give in} since in my opinion EVERYONE should be entitled to their own opinions . I realize you beleive the AMA is working for its own benifit only - but I ask , How can this be ? If I am a member dont I benifit also ? I do want to beleive you have patriotism at heart when you argue your point that the government shouldnt mandate AMA membership But doesnt the government mandate we have insurance for our other "High risk" activitys {think driving for one} . Would you be Happier if they just mandated Insurance , regardless of who the agent is {in our case AMA} ? If you could buy your insurance elsewhere how would that benifit aircraft modeling any better than the AMA does ? Please realize I ask these questions not to provoke but to gain insight into why you write the things you do .
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:15 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,105 Posts
AMA is associated with the National Aeronautic Association which is tied into the FAA and the FAI. Therefore since the up the chain are government enities, I believe that AMA qualifies as a (semi) quasi government body.

I appreciate the thought that has gone into some of the answers. I like the reasons why, also.

Please keep going.

Bob
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Reynolds
AMA is associated with the National Aeronautic Association which is tied into the FAA and the FAI. Therefore since the up the chain are government enities, I believe that AMA qualifies as a (semi) quasi government body.

I appreciate the thought that has gone into some of the answers. I like the reasons why, also.

Please keep going.

Bob
Hi Bob , thank you for explaining to me what you meant by Quasi govt. body . I asked because in my pre retired life I worked for a quasi govt. agency , which only meant that in years we made money the govt. took it and in years we didnt we had to raise rates to survive . As long as thats not the AMAs future I think we will do just fine
Old Sep 16, 2009, 04:34 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
AMA did take over running the NATS from the NAA. They also took over the task of maintaining/validating records for model aircraft such as fastest, longest durration and highest altitude.

NAA gave the AMA authority to set the rules in the US for setting model aviation records.

Who would know better how to set up rules for model competitions/records than model builders and flyers?

If you want to set a US model aviation record you have to be an AMA member. If you want to set an international (FAI) record you also have to get the FAI "stamp" (we used to have an actual stamp you licked and added to your AMA card)

AMA has always been contest oriented... modelers competing against each other to see who's aircraft had better performance or better scale appearance. Model builders and flyers have also tended to be competition oriented in the past.

I'm not sure if the NAA "sublet" the task for any full scale records or not...

There is an NAA representative who sits in as a non-voting member of the AMA Executive Council.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:55 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,105 Posts
My computer builder just informed me that he wants to do my upgrade now. I don't know how soob I'll be back. Pleas continue with these very good ideas for a better AMA.

Thank you,
Bob
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Good Luck with your upgrade and we will be here when you get it done.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey C.
This is relative to my interests seeing as how I just joined this morning. The main reason I joined is so I can apply for membership at a local club (and everything that entails--insurance, the magazine, etc.). Now then... does the AMA actually have lobbyists? I would personally love to be able to tell my local parks commission that their signs on what is and what isn't allowed in their parks is out dated, but without some official (or even quasi-official) sanctioned governing body to back me up, I don't really stand a snowflake's chance in Hades. So I guess that's the kind of thing an "ideal" AMA would be able to do in my eyes.
Welcome To you and I wish you much Happy Flying