SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
Harwich Essex Great Britain
Joined Jan 2007
228 Posts
Video
Calypso's maiden voyage 15 september 2009

Hi all, well the day finally came to get her wet !! It was rather windy but I managed to get her launched in a sheltered part of the pond. Altough it doesn't look that bad in the video, it was getting buffered about quite a lot, but managed to sail quite well, with no major problems. She took on a little water through the holes where the anchors fit, so I'll have to seal them with some clear silicone or like. You can't really see the smoke, as it was getting blown away rather sharpish. The props on the PBY at the end are being blown by the wind only no motors.
I'll get another posted of her in the dark with all lights on soon. Cheers Dan,.
dan.lord is offline Find More Posts by dan.lord
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:08 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
Looks fantastic! She certainly has plenty of speed.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:12 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Custer Park
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Dan,
You can really see she was getting buffeted by the wind in several of parts of the clip. Nice job on the craft she is beautiful.

TFS

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Sep 18, 2009, 06:19 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
349 Posts
Awesome video Dan! She looks amazing in the water. Did you ad additional ballast? She doesn`t seem to roll much considering the rough seas. The plane is amazing! What kit is that? I`m guessing you put in some kind of motor to turn the props, Yes?
Josh
Willj is offline Find More Posts by Willj
Last edited by Willj; Sep 18, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:24 AM
Harwich Essex Great Britain
Joined Jan 2007
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willj
Awesome video Dan! She looks amazing in the water. Did you ad additional ballast? She doesn`t seem to roll much considering the rough seas. The plane is amazing! What kit is that? I`m guessing you put in some kind of motor to turn the props, Yes?
Josh
Hi Willj, thanks for the compliments I first put some lead under the main motor floor, when I first started the build. Afterwards I added the battery, a 4ah lead acid type, & this was enough, infact a little to much, as she sits a little low, but I can't get any of the lead out from undrer the floor, so it will have to do. It's good she's heavy though, as it is a very top heavy model, with all the extras etc, & could capsize, so best to heavy than to light.
The PBY is a revell kit 1:48th scale, I changed the nose to represent the Cousteau's PBY, & made up the decals on my PC, came out quite well . No the props arn't motorised, it's just the wind blowing them around, looks pretty cool though, so I wish I'd taken the time to put a couple of motors in. I'm just building a Cesna 172 float plane, that Cousteau had in the later series, so I might motorize that one. Cheers for the Idea
All the best Dan.
dan.lord is offline Find More Posts by dan.lord