Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:00 PM
The Midwest
Joined Apr 2008
263 Posts
Video
Maiden Flight of 41" Edge 540

Something is out of wack with the plane, and I've gotta figure it out. It flew terribly. I was glad I got it back down in one piece though. I did balance it before flight and had everything centered, unless something went out right before I flew it, I'm just not sure what happened.
medicus is offline Find More Posts by medicus
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:27 AM
Some epoxy & it flies again...
Santa Cruz, California
Joined Sep 2008
507 Posts
Well, I think you should go for much less throttle at take off. It reacted very violently. Later you reduced the power and it was time for trimming. I try very slow rounds first to trimm it straight and horizontal.
Try to find out, if the CG is right, by going into a dive; see, if it recovers or goes even more down.
Also reduce the low rate ranges until it flies.
Low Pass is offline Find More Posts by Low Pass
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:26 AM
The Midwest
Joined Apr 2008
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass
Well, I think you should go for much less throttle at take off. It reacted very violently. Later you reduced the power and it was time for trimming. I try very slow rounds first to trimm it straight and horizontal.
Try to find out, if the CG is right, by going into a dive; see, if it recovers or goes even more down.
Also reduce the low rate ranges until it flies.
CG according the the manual is right, but it'll be a few days before I can flight test CG again. Ranges have already been reduced... I normally wouldn't have had so much throttle, but our take off strip had cracked, and I was trying to give it enough umph that it'd lift off prior to the crack. Oh well.

Thanks for the advice... here in a few days (when I get the guts to do so again lol) I'll probably post a 2nd flight video.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:13 AM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
That problem looks twofold to me. 1) the CG in the manuals are not always correct depending on the manufacture and 2) control throws look high which could account for the over controlling of the plane. When I build a Brio it flew like that and it was due to CG, high throw of control and the canopy not being seated properly.
I think Low Pass's comment was spot on, "by going into a dive; see, if it recovers or goes even more down."

Good luck, I know you will find the answer and solve this small problem.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:35 PM
Software always has bugs
United States, TX, Missouri City
Joined Nov 2008
262 Posts
That scared me at first...
It seems to me that you had a nose heavy. I would try to fly it as much as horizontal as possible and let it glide to test the CG, or try with Low Pass's way.

Other thing is to use the exp for input. I found that was a nice feature to have. Otherwise, use the dual rate for test flight.

It's a nice plane and very touchy with input
MTDV is offline Find More Posts by MTDV
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:22 PM
'Cobra Fan - P-39 & P-63
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Aug 2004
323 Posts
Whoa!
Scary flight - I've had those - seems like you never did get it totally under control...yeah - I'd agree - reduce your rates (I fly with 35-40% expo on rudder & elevator, maybe 25-30% on aileron - this REALLY smooths things out until stunt time) and move CG 1/4 inch forward for next flight....just my thoughts....

...and that's the cutest lil' runway I've ever seen! I gotta make one of those for my back yard.....
Rengine is offline Find More Posts by Rengine
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:10 AM
The Midwest
Joined Apr 2008
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengine
Whoa!
Scary flight - I've had those - seems like you never did get it totally under control...yeah - I'd agree - reduce your rates (I fly with 35-40% expo on rudder & elevator, maybe 25-30% on aileron - this REALLY smooths things out until stunt time) and move CG 1/4 inch forward for next flight....just my thoughts....

...and that's the cutest lil' runway I've ever seen! I gotta make one of those for my back yard.....

Lol thanks... it's a fun runway. But, it needs some repair work because of a flood that happened over the spring.

The wind has been KILLER here lately, so I haven't gotten to even consider putting it back in the air.

You are correct, I never did get it under control, or what I would feel like was control at least.

Anyway, I promise, I'll be posting a new video when I take these suggestions into consideration and fly again.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:30 PM
The Midwest
Joined Apr 2008
263 Posts
All right... the plane flew again today. I'll post the video here in a few hours. I have to do some other things before I start messing with fighting the camera to get the video on my computer again. 100% too nose heavy. I would put it in a dive and it continued in the dive... if I let go of the sticks at level flight, it would go into a dive and continue to go more into a dive. It never showed any signs of leveling out whatsoever, so I guess I'm going to have to play with the COG on this to figure out where exactly it should be.

I also have a maiden flight of a P51 to show too. It's pretty funny. My dad put in like 100+ hours building this kit... his first kit ever, and he's got some time in the garage again after his first flight lol.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 04:26 AM
BadPilot
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
medicus,

Looking forwards to both vids.

Thank
John
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:44 AM
Some epoxy & it flies again...
Santa Cruz, California
Joined Sep 2008
507 Posts
medicus, looking forward to see it.
well, I had the Ultrafly P-51 once with retracts and flaps. It took me 2-3 months to get it ready. The first flight ended up in a nose dive into the cement. 3 month later, all pieces were glued together again, the same happened again. I made a scratch built copy from cell foam and calculated the CG here: http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm. It urned out the CG should have been almost an inch backwards compared to the manual.
What happened in both flights: First, level flight was ok. Then I tried a loop, it flipped over and went into a dive. Trying to get the nose up resulted again in a flip and the next dive etc.
Since then I recalculate the CG with each new plane just for safety. My scratch built P-51 still flies great.
Anyway, isn't that part of the fun? Building a plane in the garage for months, flying it, repairing it, flying it , repairing it,.....
Low Pass is offline Find More Posts by Low Pass
Old Sep 25, 2009, 07:13 AM
Software always has bugs
United States, TX, Missouri City
Joined Nov 2008
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass
Anyway, isn't that part of the fun? Building a plane in the garage for months, flying it, repairing it, flying it , repairing it,.....
Yeap, that's the ultimate fun of this hobby.
MTDV is offline Find More Posts by MTDV
Old Sep 26, 2009, 03:04 AM
BadPilot
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Low Pass and MTDV,

Your both right build, fly, and repair. I like to figuring out what is wrong with my planes and fixing it to fly better.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:03 PM
The Midwest
Joined Apr 2008
263 Posts
Ok, I know I said I'd upload videos, but I've been having a lot of issues with the camera. When I finally got to where I could upload the videos, I actually watched the videos for the first time, and a lot needs to be edited out as to not give viewers a really upset stomach.

Thanks for that link... I'll be checking that out soon too.

Anyway, I don't have video of today's flight, but I ended up adding almost 20 grams of weight to the tail which ended up moving the COG back over an inch from what the manual stated... the plane flew beautifully compared to how it has been. Granted, it wasn't perfect by any means, but I was actually able to control it well and I started doing a few tricks/inverted flight without even having a high throw rate and it all seemed to be coming together. I'd say after another 2 battery packs, I'll have this thing fine tuned, and hopefully I'll have several videos to eventually post. I don't like that I ended up having to add so much weight to the tail. I moved everything I possibly could back as far as I could too, and even rigged up the battery cage so the battery is really far back as well. It's just still needing something. I'd like to be able to eventually get the extra eight off, since I really hate the "dead weight" I've had to add, but we'll have to see. Tomorrow, I'm going to do some editting and try to get some videos up for sure. Hopefully the wind will cooperate and I can put up a new video of the improved flying characteristics as well.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:49 AM
BadPilot
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
medicus,

Will be standing by for the video, is it done yet? How about now? JK.

That is strange that you had to add weight to the tail. Most planes (as we all know) usually need nose weight or are too tail heavy. In the video it looked tail heavy by the way you could not really get it under control.

There was one plane I built (I cannot recall the name) that needed more weight in the tail and if I didn't read RCG review prior to building I would have had to do the same, add weight to the tail.

John
Old Sep 27, 2009, 01:42 PM
The Midwest
Joined Apr 2008
263 Posts
All right, I had to make a new thread to upload a new video... so here if you want to see the new video...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...16&postcount=1

it's there.
Last edited by medicus; Sep 27, 2009 at 02:15 PM.