HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by deckert, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:30 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,534 Posts
Mini-Review
Hobby Lobby Stinson 108 Build

I have to say, this bird is PRETTY! The box came neatly packed and all the parts were there and undamaged in spite of the Brown shipping and their attempts to destroy the package. I was astounded at the room in the bird. I think I could stuff a 2 lb cat into this. The kit goes together quite easily and the directions are straight forward. The cf tubes are a bonus for the wings and tail feathers and REALLY aid in the assembly. On a scale of 1~10 for assembly, I'd probably give this kit a 7. On a scale of 1~10 for looks I'd give it a 9.5.

However, there are some mis-givings I have with the kit. Don't mistake my mis-givings as being as negative with respect to buying this kit but understand these are the problems I encountered during my build.

1. I'm unable to get more then 1 screw into the LG on either side. This IS going to be a real ball buster bear to get right.
2. The tubing for the pull-pull rudder was loose on 1 side and required cutting a hole in the bottom of the bird in able to allow the install of the cabling for the rudder. The supplied cabling, IMHO stinks. I used 80# Berkely plastic coated fishing wire instead. Same size and works excellent for a pull-pull system.
3. The rigging for the pull-pull setup is 1st rate, but it's next to impossible to setup because it's buried to deep in the fuselage.
4. The dual elevator servo setup is great. The HL instructions for fastening the servos down is STUPID for the back side screw. You need to drill an access hole next to the magnet to allow you to drill/place a screw for the backside of the servo.
5. The servo openings for the ailerons are undersized and limit the throws. These need to be elongated.
6. I suppose HS 55's are adequate but I hate them due to the many failures I've had with them. I just think using HS 65's makes more sense. I installed the 65's thru-out but it did require mods for the bird to accept them.
7. The wing servo mounts (factory installed) are failing due to the lack of adhesion. REGLUE these!!!!!! My mounts were WORTHLESS

My bird had the string inside the wings to pull the servo wires through, but unfortuntely, the strings had to be fished out and were of a marginal length. In plain-speak, the strings were worthless. Not a big deal but just how much does another 6" of string cost?

I'd advise you use the CA hinges that come with this bird. Using the heavier Dubro CA hinges created absolute havoc.

I decided to use a Reaper GR-35 motor instead of the Rimfire because of reduced weight and more power which led to another issue. It didn't fit the pre-drilled motor mount. Just great! Why, in someones infinite wisdom, the motor mount wasn't designed to allow for a STANDARD X mount is beyound me. Frankly, I'm REAL IRRITATED over vendors building for their product line ONLY for their products. That attitude puts them on their last leg from me.

However, I digress from the build, the maiden will be this weekend and it looks to be sweet. Don't let my gripes/issues stop you from buying this bird but just be aware of my issues.

A 10x7 APC pulled 235 watts and the bird weighs 3lbs with a 3100ma Maxamps pack.
Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by deckert; Sep 16, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts