Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:39 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Rant
I Hate Corn. Airplane eating corn that is.

I've been fighting the CG and trim on my Alpha Wildcat. I thought I got the CG pretty close, it's a narrow range, and tossed it up for a test flight. Well, the CG may be close, but the trim is still off. When I tried to trim the elevator I didn't get back to the stick in time and stuffed it into my corn field. For those that have never had the pleasure to walk through 7-8ft high corn for half an hour, "it aint fun!" I'm still iching and covered in hives! But the Wildcat came out almost unscratched! A couple dings in the leading edge but I could have tossed it up again. I gave up for the day and counted my blessings.
Jay
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:49 PM
Joined Jul 2009
109 Posts
With all the spam on the forums, I honestly thought this was more of the same.

That said... I feel your pain. The owners of my company grow corn at work. It's awesome when the plane reappears from the field. Less so when it doesn't.
rtheriaque is offline Find More Posts by rtheriaque
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:07 AM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Aug 2008
186 Posts
Crashed my beaver in a corn field at dusk....2-1/2 hours later I found it...it is painted green camo..so it was next to impossible....i just kept wondering through the maze of 8ft corn..hitting the throttle on the controller...eventually I could hear a slight beep from the motor and just kept following it until i was standing next to it in the pitch black , still couldn't see it ..but felt around till I grabbed the wing...next problem...I'm in the middle of a huge corn field..in the pitch black....which way is out.....???
micro_doc is offline Find More Posts by micro_doc
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:13 AM
I am a Cessnaholic
Omaha
Joined Aug 2008
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_doc
next problem...I'm in the middle of a huge corn field..in the pitch black....which way is out.....???
Jeepers Creepers...
Boidster is offline Find More Posts by Boidster
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:21 AM
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts
It can actually be quite dangerous to go after one in the field..especially when it is hot and there is little air movement in there..Always walk through the rows when possible, it will help to keep track which way is out...and I have learned it is always further out than you thought....

It is also fun to dodge the large black and yellow 'corn' spiders that can be 3-4" in length. Typically the webs are right at face level, causing panic when you can feel the web in your head! I have almost peed myself...

chief
chief illini is offline Find More Posts by chief illini
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:38 PM
Yup, gravity is still working!
Dark side of the moon
Joined Oct 2004
844 Posts
Man o man. Those spiders sound freaky . Buddy of mine warned me about those as we went in to look for someone's plane............I thought he was pulling my leg knowing I am somewhat arachnophobic. Now you tell me they're REAL. I've never seen one, hope I never do.
Frank
Flying Frank is offline Find More Posts by Flying Frank
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:41 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Aug 2008
186 Posts
I didn't consider the corn field dangerous...my street is the last street before the farmland.. off in the distance I could see a streetlight..I just followed that home. Dangerous is climbing 70 feet into a tree with a 20 foot hockey stick/pvc pipe/aluminum rod/wooden dowel/baseboard trim..all taped together, to poke your plane out of the very top of the tallest tree in the area..been there .done that...
micro_doc is offline Find More Posts by micro_doc
Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:10 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
I thought about bringing my transmitter with me, but then I would have one hand for the plane and one for the transmitter. I never would have got out! And yes the corn spiders are nasty looking. I did almost crap myself when a dove flapped out of the corn right next to my head. You really can't see anyting at shoulder level and above due to the leaves.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:20 PM
zup
United States, PA, Oakdale
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying jeep
I thought about bringing my transmitter with me, but then I would have one hand for the plane and one for the transmitter. I never would have got out! And yes the corn spiders are nasty looking. I did almost crap myself when a dove flapped out of the corn right next to my head. You really can't see anyting at shoulder level and above due to the leaves.
i take the transmitter and work the controls and motor and listen for it.found the plane quick many times except when the batterys come unhooked.
zup
zup is offline Find More Posts by zup
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:44 PM
Joined Mar 2009
68 Posts
I have had the misfortune of dumping a plane in the corn field a few times myself. I was amazed at how much the corn muffles the sound from the plane. The last time it happened I didn't get a good bead on where or how far out it went in and was counting on being able to hear the motor or beeps. Couldn't hear anything. Fortunately, we had about 6 people to help me walk the field and we eventually found it, but you couldn't hear any beeps until you were within 15 feet of the thing. On a side note, bean fields can be quite forgiving on crashed planes, with the exception of covering punctures .
falcn63 is offline Find More Posts by falcn63
Old Sep 20, 2009, 03:05 AM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcn63
I have had the misfortune of dumping a plane in the corn field a few times myself. I was amazed at how much the corn muffles the sound from the plane. The last time it happened I didn't get a good bead on where or how far out it went in and was counting on being able to hear the motor or beeps. Couldn't hear anything. Fortunately, we had about 6 people to help me walk the field and we eventually found it, but you couldn't hear any beeps until you were within 15 feet of the thing. On a side note, bean fields can be quite forgiving on crashed planes, with the exception of covering punctures .
Hmm. We may have to plant beans next year....
Old Sep 20, 2009, 06:28 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,562 Posts
flying jeep -

Back in the days of Quadra 35s and little practical knowledge of ignition shielding, I was helping a fellow club member with his newly finished red Byron Pitts Special, which he wanted me to fly for him. After firing it up and getting a decent range check, up it went with the 'trusty' Kraft radio in my hand and its seemed to be doing fine 'til I turned it toward me, over a corn field (Nebraska). It gently went into a graceful split S entry and about 2/3 through it, plowed into the corn.

We must have searched for an hour and a half, two of us, but it wasn't found until the next day. Kindof amazing to read the other posts here about planes 'n corn!
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:59 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,809 Posts
After wandering around in the woods and cornfields a few times I purchased a device by Bushnell called the "Backtracker." It is a combination compass and GPS receiver. When you arrive to fly mark the spot where you are standing. If you lose the plane point the transmitter antenna towards the spot where it went down and use the Backtracker to get a compass reading. Head off in that direction. When you recover the plane use the GPS feature to guide you back to where you started. Best $50.00 I spent in awhile as it helped me to find my Radian which went down in thick pine trees and undergrowth. I purchased mine from Amazon.com.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn