HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2009, 02:04 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,406 Posts
Discussion
Sapac Foam T-45 64mm EDF / Fox Hawk

Well, I thought I would kick this off cause there is not alot of info on this thing on RCGroups. There is a 70mm mod thread but started this for those like me that take a break from mods and go with whats in the box.

Here is the 70MM Mod thread for those interested in that.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=Sapac+T+45

So, you EDF nuts with this plane can post pics, ideas, links to videos ect, ect, ect.

I also wanted to start this thread for owners of this plane that have had it for awhile that think this thing is somewhat of a dog in flight performance and speed. For an easy upgrade that will increase the speed, and performance all around.

I have had this plane now about a month. I love it. I got the kit version and put all my own electronics, motor, esc into it. I am running it on 3s 2200mAh 25c packs. Turnigy 60amp esc and Sapac Black Tornado motor.

I have to say this plane both flys very nice, and looks great in the air. I did do a rudder mod that was very easy and this plane will knife edge then do a rudder pull out on this power set up.

Readings on mine with stock fan are at WOT 53 amps and 580 watts. That is one heck of a motor and as stated, easy way to upgrade this bird.

CG NOTE----- The CG on this is the same as the composite. 140-145mm from the bottem lip of the intake.

Here are some pics and will post more once I get the decals on it I got from NitroCharged.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Last edited by Lithonion; Sep 16, 2009 at 03:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2009, 02:11 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
did you happen to clear 1:1 thrust to weight with that setup? i might invest in one if you did.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Sep 15, 2009, 04:09 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete
did you happen to clear 1:1 thrust to weight with that setup? i might invest in one if you did.
I would have to say if I didn't add the rudder mod, and the pilots I think it would be. I have actually hovered mine. Just can't pull out of the hover. Just sorta hangs there in air, wont go up, doesn't fall back.

Also when you glue the two fuse halfs together, if you put glue in spots instead of the whole airframe like I did, be another way to cut wieght.

Had to add an edit. If you loose the gear, this thing is easy to hand launch. So, with no pilots, gear, or rudder I would be willing to bet you will pass the 1:1 ratio and endless vertical.
Last edited by Lithonion; Sep 15, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:46 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,406 Posts
Finished

Here are the pics of it finished with NitroCharged decal set on it.

One pic of it hanging on the tail pipe.
Last edited by Lithonion; Sep 15, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:00 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
very nice! kind of wishing that i did not give mine away. how are the wings holding up to this additional power? i seem to remember from another thread that some of the guys were taping the wings on their t45s to reduce the large ammount of flex they were seeing.
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:04 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,406 Posts
It has some wing flex, but with this set up its still very light. I think if you do a power dive and yank back on the stick it might be a problem but I like to fly more scale. I still like the speed, and do some dives but not stright nose down full throttle then pull out. Thats hard on any airframe...

The thread your talking about I think is the 70mm mod thread? I know if you mod to 70mm your talking bigger motor/fan, and then the 4s 3500+ battery to push it. The wieght there added alone will be hard on this wing cause of the added wing loading.

When I get a chance I will post a video of my set up so peeps can see how impressive this plane is for a 64mm set up on 3s. And it sounds just awsome. Well, first I have to make a video to post.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:15 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
where can i get the blue tornado motor? i'm looking for a good airframe to use my 3s 2200's in.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:27 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
959 Posts
Lith, are you going to try it on 4s and see what performance you'll get?
anthodenn is offline Find More Posts by anthodenn
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:30 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
oh, and did you add a thrust tube?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:43 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
959 Posts
Quote:
where can i get the blue tornado motor?
http://shop.sapacamerica.com/browse.cfm/2,453.html
and
http://www.airlandseahobby.com/shop_...fm?subcat_ID=3
anthodenn is offline Find More Posts by anthodenn
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:03 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,406 Posts
I am not to sure about trying it on 4s. Sapac told me this motor can handle 4s but the numbers they gave me where around 40 to 43 amps on 3s at WOT and 50 to 55 amps on 4s. I am getting 53 amps on 3s. I think the 4s will give me a nice smoke system for about 10 seconds.

For those wondering, I double checked my whole set up. Made sure the impeller was not rubbing the unit or motor casing. Checked the motor to ensure the adapter was also not rubbing so my amp draw is reading correct. It could be higher due to the 25c packs I am using can put out every bit this motor wants. I tried some 20c packs and hit 45 amps at wot and puffed the packs like a ballon....lol

This is the motor I have in this plane here. And a pic showing the excact motor.

http://shop.sapacamerica.com/browse.cfm/4,1288.html

No thrust tube at all on this set up. All I did was take some 400 grit sandpaper and smooth down the intake and exhaust where you see the mold tabs sticking out.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:11 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
maybe your ESC is on high timing and needs to be on low? that'd be worth looking into.

I think with a thrust tube you'd easily clear 1:1 thrust to weight.

if your current bird weights 22 ounces, and you've got 22 ounces of thrust, your at a 33% efficiency! it should be atleast in the 40's, more like 45 or so. i'd throw it on low timing and see if there is any difference.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:20 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,406 Posts
I set it to low timing when I installed it, I will check to make sure it stuck when I programmed it. I have not got a wieght on the plane. I should do that cause I do have a scale, just need to blow the dust off it.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:22 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
If i buy the receiver ready version, how hard will it be to install the black tornado motor?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:31 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,406 Posts
Quote:
If i buy the receiver ready version, how hard will it be to install the black tornado motor?
Its pretty easy. You actually can't get the fan out without removing the motor first.

The nice thing is the tail section comes off for fan/wire access. Then the wing also comes off for access to the front of the fan. There is alot of room to work with. Granted I have sorta small hands, but plenty of room to remove the impeller, then the motor and you can just leave the fan casing in.

If you would like some pics let me know and I can get some tonight of what I am talking about. I put the fan unit all together and then was like.....hmmm it wont go in. So dropped the fan in, then set the motor in place and it went in very easy.

Just remember to put your adapter on the motor first. Then it will be a sinch. If you dont its a pain. This motor even comes with a new adapter that fits the 64mm fan. Also the adapter in the plane is the same one.