HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:07 PM
Plymouth, Minnesota
Joined Jun 2008
55 Posts
Discussion
Lipo storage in ammo box

What do you think of this Military ammo box? Has gasket seal on top too.

Think its a safe one to store Lipo's in?

Internal dimensions: 11" x 5-3/4" x 9-3/4"
External dimensions 12" X 6-1/8" X 10-1/8"

Wenty is offline Find More Posts by Wenty
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:08 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Don't know why not. I've been using ammo boxes for battery storage and charging for quite a while.

I drill a 1/8" hole in the top for venting for when I charge batteries inside the box.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:51 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenty
What do you think of this Military ammo box? Has gasket seal on top too. Think its a safe one to store Lipo's in?
Yep, common application of ammo boxes these days. For something a little smaller, more compact, and reasonably priced, consider the envelope/document security box you can get a Wally World. Steel construction, lock & key, handle on the box, all for a whopping $9.95. I have two of them, using one to haul out to the flying site. The box makes a nice storage/carrying case for the charger, adapters, even some Lipos while in transit.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 16, 2009, 04:25 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355739
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Sep 16, 2009, 04:56 PM
I will be an angry old man!
Vancouver Isl
Joined Apr 2007
1,360 Posts
OP asked about storing lipos ... not blowing them up in an ammo can (keep in mind many of those lipo explosion videos are staged, who would charge a 4s to 29V?).

I've been using one (ammo can) for several years, easy to carry, prevents lipos from getting damaged during transport.

Agreed, not the best container to charge in though, lipo bags exists for that if you are concerned about fires.
marc1 is offline Find More Posts by marc1
Last edited by marc1; Sep 16, 2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:59 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1
OP asked about storing lipos
I stored them the same way they were stored when I bought them and that was on the counter. If it is half charge (recommend for storing) nothing if going to happen.

If you worry that much about a stored not in use LIPO what do you do about every thing else in you're house that pose just as great a risk if not more.

Every lipo manufacturer state somewhere to not charge unattended. That generaly mean to keep an eye on it. How can you do this when its in a safe or sealed box?

I think some worry too much. Every single video is stage otherwise why would they be filming the charging process in the first place.

But I guess you can never be to safe. Better safe then sorry.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:01 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,162 Posts
Quote:
I've been using one for several years, easy to carry, prevents lipos from getting damaged during transport.
Carrying a ammox box is easier then a smaller battery? Damaged during transport. If I was transporting my LIPO in any way that could possibly damage them, I would be more worried about my planes and heli then my lipo.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:03 PM
I will be an angry old man!
Vancouver Isl
Joined Apr 2007
1,360 Posts
I'm just saying, it's easier to carry a dozen lipos in a box, be it metal or plastic, than it is to carry a dozen lipos in my hands and possibly drop one on the hard concrete.... sheesh...
marc1 is offline Find More Posts by marc1
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
I'm just saying, it's easier to carry a dozen lipos in a box, be it metal or plastic, than it is to carry a dozen lipos in my hands and possibly drop one on the hard concrete.... sheesh...
Ive gotta admit , I had a handfull of Lipos and dropped one . Amazing how much crushing took place for only a 3 or 4 foot drop ! Since Im Lipo paranoid I discharged and disposed of it rather than risk an "incident" . Any method that keeps them from hitting the deck is time well spent in my opinion
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Last edited by init4fun; Sep 16, 2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Spelling.again!
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:29 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,162 Posts
Worst case scenario is that all dozen of them are for 1 plane cause is not then you are already making more then one trip to the car or van for all you're planes anyways.

So lets say you have 12 lipo and one plane, what wrong with a plastic bag other then not good for the enviroment. I would rather carry them in my plastic bag then to have a METAL box full of lipo battery sliding around and maybe crushing my plane.

Anyways just wanted to chat a little, I dont really care how you carry all you're lipo it just makes me laught when I see or read about people asking about AMMO BOX for either charging or storing and now carrying.

So I hope in you're case that one of you're lipo doesn't decide to puffed and catch fire and it would ruin all you're lipos since they are all in the same box.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:37 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun
Any method that keeps them from hitting the deck is time well spent in my opinion
Unless you are padding the crap out of you're box, Dropping the box would still cause the lipo to be damage if dropping it from 3-4 feet damages them. instead of hitting the ground directly they would hit the inside of the metal box.

The are covered with FOIL and heatshring, of course dropping then is going to leave its mark.

Common sense is to be used when using lipo. If you want to carry them in ammo box store them or charge them in there, go ahead. My 2 Canadian cents is worth just that and less with the exchange.

I will stick with storing them the same way I bought them. Half charge for any period of time, usualy does not take much to recharge them to half as I did not use all of their capacity to start with. I always balance charge them with my lipo charger that full of safety feature and generally dont leave the house when I am charging. I do charge them on granite counter but any fire safe surface will do concrete or tile.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:11 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
I always balance charge them with my lipo charger that full of safety feature and generally dont leave the house when I am charging. I do charge them on granite counter but any fire safe surface will do concrete or tile.
Are you saying that you have left the house while your packs are charging?

Even though the newer chargers are better than ever, they can still mess up. Although I have never had a problem with my 4+ year old AF109 or my newer 2 year old Xtrema, I would definitely unplug the pack, store it, and turn off the charger before leaving the house...

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:18 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger 413
never had a problem with my 4+ year old AF109
Astro 109? LOL!
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:56 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger 413
Are you saying that you have left the house while your packs are charging?Challenger413
Yes I have, when I am slow charging (below 1C). I have left the house to for what ever reason either to get something in the car or say cut the grass BUT have never left to where the charger would finish its charging cycle while I was gone.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 07:00 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Yes I have, when I am slow charging (below 1C). I have left the house to for what ever reason either to get something in the car or say cut the grass BUT have never left to where the charger would finish its charging cycle while I was gone.
Going outside or leaving the house brings up two different scenarios.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413