HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:56 AM
Lewisburg, PA
Joined Apr 2002
970 Posts
Yippee!
F3B Worlds Podcast with Mike Smith & Paul Naton

Finally, the Podcast you have all been waiting for.

Mike Smith and I chat for and hour and 20 minutes about his experiences at this summer's F3B worlds. We talk about the latest design trends, flying techniques, and contest stories.

Mike also talks about the team's winch line controversy and tells you the real story.

Down load the MP3 file from my Glide Fast Blog, right on the first page:
http://glidefast.typepad.com

Post comments and discussion about the podcast content on this thread.

Enjoy!

Paul Naton
www.radiocarbonart.com
Paul Naton is online now Find More Posts by Paul Naton
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:04 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Wow, great bandwidth, I got it down at 2mb per second
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:33 PM
Nipomo, Ca.
Joined Mar 2007
1,463 Posts
Good stuff ! Thank you Paul and Mike !

B good,
Fred
fearfactorfred is offline Find More Posts by fearfactorfred
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Apogee 100" RES
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:04 PM
Lewisburg, PA
Joined Apr 2002
970 Posts
Would be interesting to hear things from the side of the helpers!

Sorry for the less than audiophile quality of Mike's side of the conversation.
He did not have the super good hardware I was using.

Paul Naton
www.radiocarbonart.com
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:38 PM
Nipomo, Ca.
Joined Mar 2007
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Naton
Would be interesting to hear things from the side of the helpers!

Paul Naton
www.radiocarbonart.com
Sure, what would you like to know ?

It was truly the most amazing trip ever !! It will be very hard for me to top that one.

I made new friends from around the world, I learned new things about a sport I love and I had front row seats to one of the most exciting soaring events in the world.

I'm so grateful that I was chosen. Thank you Team USA !
fearfactorfred is offline Find More Posts by fearfactorfred
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Apogee 100" RES
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:33 AM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,127 Posts
Great discussion on launch setup. Can't wait to get out and do some winching with varying tow hook positions..

Anybody else got feedback on the "get the hook back" vs Euro forward hook setting with faster lauch setup?

Thanks Paul and Mike for putting the mp3 together.
jirvin_4505 is offline Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:54 AM
Lewisburg, PA
Joined Apr 2002
970 Posts
There are many choice nuggets of information that Mike shares with you.

You only learn by testing new ideas.

Paul Naton
www.radiocarbonart.com
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:42 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirvin_4505
Great discussion on launch setup. Can't wait to get out and do some winching with varying tow hook positions..

Anybody else got feedback on the "get the hook back" vs Euro forward hook setting with faster lauch setup?

Thanks Paul and Mike for putting the mp3 together.
One point that Mike left out about the launch set up thing is a discussion I had with Andreas Herrig about his launch settings.

It turns out his launch settings were very similar to mine. Our flap settings were within one mm and our tow hook locations were within one mm. My settings were a mm on the aggressive side and I backed off on these during the contest. We both used the same elevator trim. I arrived at these settings in the vacuum of the US. What I took from this is that I wasn't far off at all from where I needed to be (compared to Andreas), but that little bit can make a difference - especially in stability and consistency.

I assume that Martin Herrig was also using the same settings. They did have the occasional pop off with their settings. They do not use a tow ring and I do not believe they notch their hooks. The US team uses tow rings and notched hooks (perhaps an antiquated approach, but it is what we are use to), so instead of popping off our (my) model will flick on tow but stay on the line. In retrospect it may be better to have the model pop off if the launch is not going well rather than fight it . . .

Christian Muller on the other hand (also flying a Freestyler III), used a much different approach. I'm not sure what his flap settings were, but I could see his tow hook was much further forward. I understand that he was using up trim to get the pull that he wanted. He was using the "faster on tow" approach, compared to the pull harder on tow approach I was using.

The frustrating part was we could not fairly evaluate the pull harder on tow approach compared to the go fast on tow approach since our line did not return any of the energy we put into the line by pulling hard. Even when we did manage to get some better line from other teams, they were only willing to sell us heavier line then what I wanted - so effectively we had the same problem.

As Mike pointed out, we have some new things to experiment with and get our launches optimized with some new parameters.

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling