Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:55 AM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Discussion
1/5 Piper J3 Cub as an FPV platform?

Hi all,

I'm gathering some ideas to put together my first FPV rig. I've been flying RC models for about 5 years now and have been APing with the ES for around 3 years.

I have an electrified 1/5 J3 Cub. She is big, slow, docile, can lift some weight and can handle wind. However, she needs a large flying field, and is a pain to carry around and assemble.

What would your thoughts be on a big Piper J3 Cub as a first FPV platform? I've only seen Typicalamister try this at some point but have never been able to watch his videos as they were removed from Vimeo. Oh, I've also found a thread where fpvflyer has shared a few photos of his nitro powered Cub but not much info anywhere else.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Cheers,

GOK
GOK is offline Find More Posts by GOK
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:34 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,841 Posts
My thoughts are:

pros: Big and docile, able to fly in wind and has a good glide (most cubs glide very well). Able to lift alot, lots of room to space out components. Scale factor a plus

cons: expensive airframe vs a smaller foamie. More dangerous/does more damage to anything it hits if your video takes a crap and your not prepared to take over visually. Bigger flying field as you stated.

As a beginner and setting up your first rig, theres more of a chance to have problems you havent anticipated. Theres a small margin for error and reaction when flying along in FPV. Im not saying you cant do it, but learning the ropes on an more expendable foamie might be less painful if something goes wrong. A 1/5 scale cub packs alot of punch
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:44 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
i'd say to big, would be very dangerious in a crash (will happen)
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:03 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Assuming that you won't be flying anywhere that you need to worry about crashing into something/someone, I'd still say too big to start with.
As webdr said, go with something that you don't mind getting beat up at first. Scale is cool, and I hope that one day you WILL fly that cub FPV. I enjoy scale vids. That said, why take a chance busting up a nice plane when you can have fun learning on something made of elapor? Get an easystar, twinstar, funjet, easyglider, stryker, etc... or even make your own from Bluecor, or Depron. It doesn't really matter what it looks like. You won't be looking at the plane while you fly anyhow Plus your set-up time is greatly reduced.

(On the other end of the size spectrum, think of how quick guys are getting in the air and how much fun they are having with the Multiplex Fox)

Another thing that is nice about going with an easystar or something common for your first FPV plane is, that there is a ton of support and folks that have already worked out a lot of the bugs. You'll learn as much about set-up as you will about flying FPV with your first plane.

Good luck and keep us posted. If you do decide to go with the big cub, just be smart about where you fly.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:46 AM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Guys thank You very much for the feedback.

While I do have a huge field to fly at, drawing on your suggestions, I will ditch the idea of trying my hand at FPV for the first time with a big scale model.

As I've said, I already have an easystar and love the way she flies. Except, it really doesn't like winds. So, I've just ordered a Twinstar II. I am hoping this will be a good first time FPV model which will fly both slow and fast, stable and will handle some wind.

Thanks again,

GOK
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:52 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,127 Posts
Quote:
i'd say to big, would be very dangerious in a crash (will happen)
Not any MORE dangerous than what is already out there..

There are SOME videos up on Vimeo I did. I just removed a bunch of them for personal reasons.

5-17-08 - J3 Cub FPV - First flight of the day (6 min 27 sec)
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:08 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
I love that video.
I hope that GOK will fly his cub like that. I really like scale flying, but I think that there are better ways to go for a first plane. Yet, I defer to the masters.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:25 AM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Not any MORE dangerous than what is already out there..

There are SOME videos up on Vimeo I did. I just removed a bunch of them for personal reasons.

http://vimeo.com/2753706
Thank You for chiming in,

I hadn't watched that video, I enjoyed it very much. Once I get the hang of FPV with either an easystar or a twinstar, I will definitely fly a scale model from the cockpit.

Thanks again,

GOK
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:36 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,070 Posts
That cub video is amazing. It makes it seem so real.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72