SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Paintrain, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:15 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man Number 7 View Post
I'm about to move from coax to micro cp, and I'm wondering if I should bother with phoenix sim?

Controlling the micro coax heli came naturally to me, so I didn't have any trouble with orientation or anything. I guess I'm wondering if I can skip the sim and just practice on a real micro heli in stead.
FWIW - A SIM is a great investment and if you don't want to spend big consider clearView ... not the best physics but you still get to understand cyclic and pitch and tune your fingers in. COAX is worlds away from CP.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:24 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man Number 7 View Post
I'm about to move from coax to micro cp, and I'm wondering if I should bother with phoenix sim?

Controlling the micro coax heli came naturally to me, so I didn't have any trouble with orientation or anything. I guess I'm wondering if I can skip the sim and just practice on a real micro heli in stead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
FWIW - A SIM is a great investment and if you don't want to spend big consider clearView ... not the best physics but you still get to understand cyclic and pitch and tune your fingers in. COAX is worlds away from CP.
If you decide to take CaptJac's free lessons, I think he uses Phoenix Sim and Skype. Go to the "3D is NOT for everyone" thread here to confirm.
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:59 PM
United States, IL, Salem
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
starting

Hi i dont know if this is the right place to put this but i need help i need help setting up my dx8 for helis if somone knows how please help
dontnow is offline Find More Posts by dontnow
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:02 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontnow View Post
Hi i dont know if this is the right place to put this but i need help i need help setting up my dx8 for helis if somone knows how please help
Spektrum DX8 Intro (4 min 40 sec)

Spektrum DX8 - Helicopter Setup (23 min 39 sec)

You have Google where you live, right?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:41 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
You have Google where you live, right?
Now now Jas, that's why you're a rocket programmer....
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:11 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Now now Jas, that's why you're a rocket programmer....
LOL, I actually don't do that any more. Developing software for aerospace was really weird - trying to use 2012 technology in a 1970 organization is tripped out dude

But I don't know what to change my tag line to because now I work for the law...

Anyway, I went to a show today and I was talking to the heli noobs a little bit, and I think I hit on something...

People were asking me to help train them on their 450s and I was like yeah no problem, here's my number, etc, give me a call, and then they would be like ok I can fly my 130X and my Nano just fine and one guy even said he could do flips with it...

Er, uh... what? You can do flips with your 130X and you want me to train you on your 450? Why?

So here's the thing... I think people have two issues - setup, and fear. They aren't sure their 450 will fly right, and maybe even if they've tried to fly it they don't fully trust it, so they are afraid something will go wrong with the helicopter that isn't their fault, and that's one source of the fear. The other source of the fear is just handling a bigger machine that makes more noise and is a known bigger safety hazard.

I think in these cases all that needs to be done for these students is set up their helicopters so they are flying perfect, and then do some hard test flights for them so they trust the machine - do some 3D with it. Then hand them the radio and let them try their bunny hops.
Last edited by jasmine2501; Feb 23, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:45 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,694 Posts
I think you're right - it's largely psychological. I find myself stuck at a sort of plateau in my flying, and sometimes think I'd benefit from having a Nano and a 130 to further my skills - but in reality, I just need to force myself to do at least some practice moves in every flight. After all, a nano would cost as much as my trusty HK450 Pro, though of course it would be more resistant to crash damage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:57 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I think you're right - it's largely psychological. I find myself stuck at a sort of plateau in my flying, and sometimes think I'd benefit from having a Nano and a 130 to further my skills - but in reality, I just need to force myself to do at least some practice moves in every flight. After all, a nano would cost as much as my trusty HK450 Pro, though of course it would be more resistant to crash damage.
The funny thing is flying a Nano is the same as flying a 450. There is no significant difference in the behavior unless there's something wrong. So, if you know how to fly a Nano, you know how to fly a 450 - you just might not be able to do it because slight differences are tripping you up. THAT is a training issue, but it's common with beginners and you just need to overcome it by flying lots of different aircraft, and you won't get that experience... unless you get it. So, I recommend people switch models on the simulator whenever they think they are getting used to a certain one. And, take it easy with new aircraft, but don't be afraid of them - your training will carry over, it's just a matter of believing that.

I know people who routinely crash into telephone poles and parked cars right after buying a new car. The slight differences in the new car screw up their thinking so bad they can't use their well-established driving ability. I find that odd because almost all cars drive the same. Sure they are different sizes and have different handling and performance, but they all have the same controls that do the same things. Same with helicopters, and if you're one of those types of persons who sees differences and that blocks you from taking advantage of similarities, I don't really have any advice other than to change your thinking. Depend on what you know, don't get freaked out by what you don't.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:47 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The funny thing is flying a Nano is the same as flying a 450. There is no significant difference in the behavior unless there's something wrong. So, if you know how to fly a Nano, you know how to fly a 450 - you just might not be able to do it because slight differences are tripping you up. THAT is a training issue, but it's common with beginners and you just need to overcome it by flying lots of different aircraft, and you won't get that experience... unless you get it. So, I recommend people switch models on the simulator whenever they think they are getting used to a certain one. And, take it easy with new aircraft, but don't be afraid of them - your training will carry over, it's just a matter of believing that.

I know people who routinely crash into telephone poles and parked cars right after buying a new car. The slight differences in the new car screw up their thinking so bad they can't use their well-established driving ability. I find that odd because almost all cars drive the same. Sure they are different sizes and have different handling and performance, but they all have the same controls that do the same things. Same with helicopters, and if you're one of those types of persons who sees differences and that blocks you from taking advantage of similarities, I don't really have any advice other than to change your thinking. Depend on what you know, don't get freaked out by what you don't.
Lol we have people in Australia like that - we call them drunk drivers.

As far as Heli's go I am a complete newbie - I have an Align 450 and a nano CPX. I am using the nano to get the motor controls working in the old fingers because it costs less when the nano errr ... lands less gracefully than I planned. But your advice on switching models on the SIM is great ... one of the guys at the club suggested this to me months back and it has been really helpful. I have only broken one set of skids since then ...

PS A colleague of mine had a tag line "I am not your Google Butler" ...
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:32 AM
Joined Dec 2012
51 Posts
anybody here car to guide me to setup my flysky t6 radio for reflex xtr? Thnaks
nolivy is offline Find More Posts by nolivy
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:04 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolivy View Post
anybody here car to guide me to setup my flysky t6 radio for reflex xtr? Thnaks
That is a weird enough question that you should probably start a thread.
Old May 02, 2013, 02:14 PM
rc aircraft crasher
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
so im pretty sure this a REALLY stupid question but im gonna ask away anyway

so i was flying earlier today after work to practice a few things. long story short the wind blew the heli towards my face and i got a little nervous but i corrected it with no problem. then a bigger gust blew it at me a little faster and in about .0002 secs i thought run or hard landing... i chose hard landing and a tooth broke off of my main gear.

im thinking i shouldnt do this but is it ok to fly circuits with a tooth missing?

i feel really dumb asking but all my heli stuf is pack and i dnt really want to unpack it if i dnt have to. the stupid thing just kinda clicks when it goes over the missing tooth.

dnt be too hard on me, im not an idiot and i dnt think i should do it ya never no... maybe one tooth missing is ok lmao :P
jnmardister is offline Find More Posts by jnmardister
Old May 02, 2013, 02:25 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,694 Posts
Probably not worth it.....

Trouble is it's rarely that simple. If you go over the heli, you might find some other damage. Maybe another tooth is about to fail. You could fly it with a missing tooth - but then if it crashes, you'll only be kicking yourself. Helis are unforgiving, so it's best to avoid shortcuts, and to keep a good stock of spares to avoid being put between a rock and a hard place.

Then again, you might be a thrill seeker, a believer in the school of hard knocks....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2013, 02:36 PM
rc aircraft crasher
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
i am a thrill seeker lol and i will definitely look over everything. but im pretty sure thats all that happened considering it was only a few feet off the ground and it only tipped over during the spool down.

i definitely agree though, helis are very unforgiving dangerous enough. i do have the parts hey are just packed up all nicely and i dont really want to dig them out (we are moving and im lazy right now)

i think ill give it try tmw... if you dnt hear from me is because my worst fears have happened... my heli through a blade straight through my eye into my brain while i was hovering at eye level, or it went crazy (due to the missing tooth) and hit me in the neck!!!

maybe i wont try it lol im gonna think about it though. :P
jnmardister is offline Find More Posts by jnmardister
Old May 04, 2013, 11:09 PM
Malaysia
Joined Oct 2011
96 Posts
'm a begginer to 450 size RC Heli.Can someone tell me where to find a good video which tells the novice not only how to set up such things as D/R*EXPO, Travel Adj, sub trim,Flaps,Mix,etc but also and importantly why you do these things and do I really need a blade balancer for 450 size RC Heli?

I'm also begginer to a 2.4ghz Programable transmitter.Can anyone teach me how to set the transmitter?
ArthurLiew is offline Find More Posts by ArthurLiew