Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Paintrain, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
E Razor 250

Just purchased this animal, still in tranit to home. Hoping it will be fun to fly w/o too many problems. Completely new to the hobby, you guys may get tired of the questions. Thanx in advance.
Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Pierson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:19 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
I'm fairly new at this but if a helo had a yaw control, wouldn't it be a 4 channel? A 3 ch has roll - (1) aileron, pitch - (2) elevator and acceleration - (3) throttle, right?
A three channel cannot move sideways (roll). They only have controls for elevators, rudders, and throttle.

First channel is the throttle (Alishanmao demoed a heli that can only go up and down)

Second channel is the rudder (Coaxial helis that were weighted at the front and they move forward as soon as they leave the ground)

Third channel is the elevator (Your basic three channel IR controlled coaxial heli)

Fourth channel is the roll/aeleron (v911 and fixed pitch helis)

Fifth channel is the main blade pitch (I'd assume that five channel helis have the gyro controls on the helicopter only)

Sixth channel is the gyro sensitivity (So you don't have to open the heli and adjust the gyro with a screwdriver everytime you experience tail wag)

Seventh channel and above (Landing gears, lights, pellet guns,etc.)
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
75 Posts
Man this is a great thing you have done here. I love it all in one
Newbie77 is offline Find More Posts by Newbie77
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Feb 2010
27 Posts
I've always wanted to at least try out rc heli's. Are the suggestions in the OP still relevant as it was last edited in 2010? If not, what are the new suggestions for a beginner?
NeonFlak is offline Find More Posts by NeonFlak
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:50 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlak View Post
I've always wanted to at least try out rc heli's. Are the suggestions in the OP still relevant as it was last edited in 2010? If not, what are the new suggestions for a beginner?
A v911 is the recommended starting heli. It's pretty much guaranteed that you *WILL* crash, so the sensible first heli is one that can withstand crashes while teaching you the basics.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
I would love a copy of both

I would love a copy of both 101 & 102. I am just cutting my teeth and having a blast. Thank you for your generosity.

Regards,
Martin
zielinm[AT]yahoo.com
zielinm is offline Find More Posts by zielinm
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:47 PM
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and new to RC heli's. I posted this in another thread but was directed to the Beginner section. However I was not able to find an answer to here is my questions.

I just got the Sky Force last week and was wondering if anyone knows why it wants to drift to the left. I can't get it to hover from the take-off position. I tried trim but that only adjusts the circular rotation of the heli. I can't seem to find an adjustment on the copter nor any info on how to fix it. I've read where others have had this same issue.

Also, I noticed the antenna lead on the landing gear is just wrapped around one of the legs. Is there anything I have to do specifically with that wire? I know it's not causing the problem described above because it's on the right side.

Thank you.
Quickdraw62 is offline Find More Posts by Quickdraw62
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:03 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,595 Posts
Pics?

Maybe you could take the canopy off and take some pictures of the heli, and post them here. If there are no adjustments to the servo to swash links, maybe something is bent.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Maybe you could take the canopy off and take some pictures of the heli, and post them here. If there are no adjustments to the servo to swash links, maybe something is bent.
There is the one adjustment which is the servo rod to the swash. I tried adjusting that. It seemed to work for the first take-off but then it went right back to drifting.

I'll try and take a couple of pics in a bit.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
Beginner Guide

Here are those pics. I'm not sure if they're good enough but it's the best I can do.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:08 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,595 Posts
The pics are fine. So it looks like there is just one connection from the swashplate to a single servo, and I would guess that is used for elevator control rather than aileron. The swash should be dead level with the elevator at neutral.

I wonder if there's any adjustment possible with the two fixed links to the swash - or even if one or both of them is bent. If the links are identical, rather than handed, you might try swapping them out and see if that helps.

It seems odd that your adjustment to the servo link worked initially - that's the kind of behaviour you see from a gyro, which would initialise and see a new neutral if you add any trim. The gyro on your heli only acts on the tail, though, and shouldn't affect the swash.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
I may have to adjust the servo bar a bit because it seems to be more on the accelerator side and not in the neutral position. But from what I can tell, that only adjusts the speed of the heli going forward but not the drifting.

Maybe because of the model, it is what it is. It's flyable and it does hover once I get it moving, however it's the drifting at take-off that's really annoying. If I can't figure it out, I guess I'll just deal with it until I'm ready for a new one.

I'll try swapping the 2 fixed links though. It can't hurt.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:11 AM
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
Swapping the linkages didn't resolve the problem so I guess I'll live with it until I buy a better heli.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:26 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,595 Posts
One last thing you might try then - pack something under the left skids, to make the heli lift slightly to the right. It might just work, if you only see the drift when taking off.

If it works, you could use packing washers between the skids and the left frame.

On a single rotor heli with a clockwise main rotor, the heli has to tilt slightly to the right in a hover to counteract the thrust from the tail rotor. If the skids are set to make the heli dead level on the ground, it will inevitably drift left a bit before settling into a hover.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:15 AM
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
One last thing you might try then - pack something under the left skids, to make the heli lift slightly to the right. It might just work, if you only see the drift when taking off.

If it works, you could use packing washers between the skids and the left frame.

On a single rotor heli with a clockwise main rotor, the heli has to tilt slightly to the right in a hover to counteract the thrust from the tail rotor. If the skids are set to make the heli dead level on the ground, it will inevitably drift left a bit before settling into a hover.
I was thinking if I added weight to the right skid it might help but I wasn't sure what to use. That just might work. I will let you know when I get home and try it out.

Thanks again for all your help. And thanks to Balr14 as well as he also made some suggestions.