SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Paintrain, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:26 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
For the stunts section, you might want to add this document. It has descriptions of all the FAI maneuvers, including the new "F3N" schedule, which is the 3D stuff recently added.

ftp://www.fai.org/sporting_code/sc4/...copters_09.pdf
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:34 PM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for that info. I think for comparison sake I should include the price as if it were included with everything but the Rx, Tx, and charger. I want to add another section with Tx recommendations and put the Rx, charger and batteries in the additional cost section. What do you think?

Should I list the T-Rex at $700 + 20% of cost for spare parts and the HK for $250 + 20% of cost for spare parts? The model building and non-RTF products are a little beyond me right now. I have watched the Finless Bob videos for the T-Rex 450 SE and the Protos just to see what awaits beyond the horizon. He makes the build of a heli look easy!
Paintrain is offline Find More Posts by Paintrain
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:34 PM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
For the stunts section, you might want to add this document. It has descriptions of all the FAI maneuvers, including the new "F3N" schedule, which is the 3D stuff recently added.

ftp://www.fai.org/sporting_code/sc4/...copters_09.pdf

BONUS! Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:39 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain
Mike,

Thanks for that info. I think for comparison sake I should include the price as if it were included with everything but the Rx, Tx, and charger. I want to add another section with Tx recommendations and put the Rx, charger and batteries in the additional cost section. What do you think?
!
I think this is inappropriate for helicopters, because of the wide variety of parts someone can use to build it. For example, on my Trex 500 I use $250 gyro and servo bought in a combo... but I know that you can also use a gyro and servo that is less then $75... that is a huge difference in price. It would be better to list specs, and then maybe a range of prices, unless the helicopter is commonly sold RTF, such as the Blade 400.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:52 PM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
In order to get the prices I listed, I searched a few sites and took the average. I had thought about linking where I found such prices but didn't want to advertise. I think my HK findings were before I realized that HK was Heli Kit and not some brand. :/ Does HK stand for Hobby King perhaps? Begin wrong just gives me more drive to put this guide together.

Considering Mike and your comments perhaps for these two non-RTF birds we should include a subjective range. Unless, these two options shouldn't really be considered for a true beginner. What do you all think? Range prices, remove them, or list specs with average price for that spec. You guys know more of what beginners usually ask you all.
Last edited by Paintrain; Sep 17, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
No I think that's a good idea... list the kit price, and then an average completion price range. Be sure to list what is included in the kit - for example most Trex come with the motor and ESC, but some lately have included the servos and gyro as well - Align calls this their "Super Combo"

Should probably make it clear at some point that in general, cheaper parts will result in a more unpredictable and less precise flying experience, and that this is not good for the beginner.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:17 PM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Sounds good to me, I'll do some novice searching and get some specs and prices together for the T and the HK. I'll PM them to you for review before I post if you don't mind.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:31 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
That would be fine but I don't have a HK 450 - I have a Trex 450, and it has pricey parts on it. I don't do bargain basement, so I wouldn't know about the low end stuff. I just know it exists and it's not for me
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:40 PM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
LOL! No worries, I was leaning towards just having you check that I had all the parts needed. For the HK I will use the listed parts for the HeliFreak post MikeSt linked. For the TRex list I will probably look at the super combo and the recommended part list to put something mid range.

On a side note, I am leaning towards a warning on the first post stating that this hobby is very addictive and has a hefty cost (time and money) associated with it.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:33 AM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Feb 2007
1,272 Posts
rcfanatic vids not showing...

Thanks for this compendium.... I am building a copterx 450 myself right now, so using all the web materials, as no one nearby to show me.

I can't get the RCCFanatic videos to play, all say "removed by user", what's up with that?

BTW, you also may want to look Trextuning.com, some good stuff there too. And, I'm assuming you've seen the electric heli beginner's guide here .

Ben
skinnydoc is offline Find More Posts by skinnydoc
Old Sep 18, 2009, 01:53 PM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Thanks, SkinnyDoc. I had not see than beginners guide and will add a link to it in the intro section.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:26 PM
Toronto,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain
Simulator Options
Many of us started with the free / basic FMS simulator. Physics /graphics aren't the best, but are adequate for basic flight and orientation. Models customizable, and many models available.

Mike
MikeSt is offline Find More Posts by MikeSt
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:56 PM
Kentucky
Joined Oct 2008
207 Posts
For True Beginners

Hi Paintrain I think what your trying to accomplish here is awesome.
I'm curious as to why Belt CP V2 wasn't menchaned in your heli options.
I picked mine up for $179, not bad for a heli who's MSRP is above $300 and has HH gyro and 2.4GHz radio. Several sites sell it for around this or cheaper everyday. Main gear, feathering shaft, blades, and tailboom (parts most likely to replace after crash) are pretty cheap.

I wanted to add my own help to this thread, so that beginners out there will know what their REALLY getting into.
In this video, I am a 100% beginner... This vid shows me taking my brand new V2 out of the box, after doing nothing but affixing training gear and charging the battery, and taking it outside to get the feel of it. I check blade tracking and then progress from there.
I've flown r.c. planes and have flown coaxle helis for two years before this.
I consider myself an "expert" at coaxle flying.
This vid directly shows what the average beginner is going to experience the first time they try to fly their new CP R.C. Heli...

You can see me confused at first because when I slowly raise the throttle, nothing happens at first because the gyro had not yet initialized.

After initializing:
You can see me "lurch" when the blades suddenly begin to turn after nothing happening for 3 or 4 throttle clicks.
My plane and coaxles did not respond in this manner.
The vid progresses from me "getting the feel of it" on the ground, then switches to about an hour later when I finally get the confidence to attempt hover.
The beginner will also see the benifits of having training gear attached to the skids, because no true beginner is going to be able to take off, hover, and land back on the narrow skids without having a blade strike on the ground.
The only thing bad about the vid is that for some reason the sound is slightly out of sync:

BELT CP First time flight - learning (4 min 35 sec)

I hope I'm helping here... That is all I'm trying to do and I hope that I'm not missing something or doing something wrong here.
Starbuckin is offline Find More Posts by Starbuckin
Last edited by Starbuckin; Sep 19, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:14 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Yeah that's pretty cool to see. That's the way it should be done. I like to pack a 9mm on my maiden flights though

There's also two other ways it can go... you can totally disregard any training and end up like this guy...

How to lose $500 in 10 seconds without betting!!!!!! (0 min 8 sec)

Or you can be overly neurotic about training and make sure your heli is perfect and take a lot of time with it before your first actual flight, and be like I was - too ready.

Align Trex 450 Maiden - Noob Pilot (8 min 4 sec)
Old Sep 19, 2009, 01:35 AM
Kentucky
Joined Oct 2008
207 Posts
Don't wanna clutter up this cool thread so I'll PM a response.
Starbuckin is offline Find More Posts by Starbuckin