Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:34 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose2 View Post
VR- what camera do you use?
RCV922 with 2.9mm lens. This one is the best to deal with sunshine in direct view like when it is low at the horizon. But the colors look lightly redish.

Galaxie, the F-16 was a nightmare to build because it don't have anyspace inside to work. I need to cut to styrofoam deeply to install my cockpit. I still can't beleive that I was able to do it.

On the other hand, my F-18 cockpit is spacious, it is like it was made to add camera etc. I got a lot of space around the camera to move it freely. But the front part of the canopy windsheild was horrible, it was not possible to see thrue it. But it was easy to remove it and install a new clear plastic sheet..

The F-18 have enough space to install all the electronic, but no access as been made under the plane, si I cutted a long hatch under the fuselage to access my electronic and wire, esc and motor
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:56 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
iív heard that VrFlyer is on contact with real F18 pilot to learn more...

This next project will give awsome FPV experience... you may receive
a call from army for training purpose
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:27 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
your F18 is this one ?

FA/18 SUPER HORNET Twin 70mm 360 TV Flight Review in HD Part ONE! (16 min 27 sec)
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:02 AM
FPV-Outstanding in our field
Joined Nov 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer View Post
RCV922 with 2.9mm lens. This one is the best to deal with sunshine in direct view like when it is low at the horizon. But the colors look lightly redish.

Galaxie, the F-16 was a nightmare to build because it don't have anyspace inside to work. I need to cut to styrofoam deeply to install my cockpit. I still can't beleive that I was able to do it.

On the other hand, my F-18 cockpit is spacious, it is like it was made to add camera etc. I got a lot of space around the camera to move it freely. But the front part of the canopy windsheild was horrible, it was not possible to see thrue it. But it was easy to remove it and install a new clear plastic sheet..

The F-18 have enough space to install all the electronic, but no access as been made under the plane, si I cutted a long hatch under the fuselage to access my electronic and wire, esc and motor
Hey VR
Thanks for the input. I am sure you get tons of question.......lol.
Being an Air Force veteran I have a loyality to the F-16 but man-o-man there is no deniying thoes sexy lines of the F-18. I have been looking at the composite 90mm Hobyking F-18 for my FVP-EDF project but you and your videos make the foamies seem much more apealing and I am reconsidering.

I had the revalition that it is like Hollywood.......One could put that cockpit in any kind of plane and the "feel" would be about the same through the goggles. So I guess balancing proformance, duribility, ease of build/use and economy is the order.

When I was in the Air Force I spent ALOT of time in the simulator for training. I always spent a little extra time studying how "they" could make the imersion experience so complete and I came away with my own ideas for an FPV imersion system that I think will work. You have really taken this idea I have off of the back burner and put it into motion for me.

Basically you have proven that the aerial/visual side of the equasion is possible so I have (finally) began work on the pilot imersion. It is quite challenging.......I am trying to combine the visuals (with head tracking) and a real cockpit (compleat with stick rudder and throttle) and still being able to seemlessly transition between the downlink vid and inside the cockpit (looking "inside" for switches or telemetery).

I do not want to just sit in a cockpit staring at a television screen like a cheep computer flight sim. I want to be able to move my head around like I am sitting under a canopy looking around and still be able to look down and find my gear or flap lever without fumbling around like a blind person.

The good news is I have built a visual system that is showing promise and will be testing it in stages until I get to the full cockpit imersion. The bad news is I am an electronic moron so intergrating all the electronics of the systems is slow as the learning curve is high.

When I get done it will be Portable, reliable and easy to operate. I got a ways to go but you have, and continue, to inspire me to finish.

Thanks
Brett
galaxyengineer is offline Find More Posts by galaxyengineer
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:33 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
your F18 is this one ?

http://youtu.be/3w4nFQrUQ8k
yes GG
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:57 AM
chicago
Joined Nov 2008
27 Posts
Hi Vrflyer,
I went to the BEVRC website and I noticed cameras with higher line count like 520. Is it better to get those for just a little more money. I have been following your thread and I have a few of the nano cams and a 3 channel switcher. I wanted a good main camera and I was actually just thinking about using the nano cameras but I'm not sure how good they are with light. What parameters do you follow to pic out a good cam. No real way to test over the computer so what specs do you look for? thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer View Post
you got it!

for a simple plug and play tx/rx for a beginner, try the 5.8ghz, 200mW from BEV. and also order the patch and the 131 camera.

http://www.bevrc.com/bev-58g-200mw-p...-fpv-p-18.html
http://www.bevrc.com/bevkx131hntsc-p-26.html
http://www.bevrc.com/bev-58ghz-patch-antenna-p-60.html

p.s. the white and green wires on the Tx are not use, you need to plug the yellow, red and black to the camera from the big connector. And the small connector is the 12V from your battery.

also goggle:
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=114
or
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=474
whatasteele is offline Find More Posts by whatasteele