Joined Feb 2002
3,959 Posts
Cool
Fpv F-16

Wingspan: 78 cm
Length: 123 cm
Weight: approximately 1.4Kg

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f_16_figh...QueryId=191019

The F-16 is made of foam like that it is found in the packaging but much denser. The plane is very light despite its size and is very rigid. Two wires are inserted in the wings. The thick paint gives a very smooth finish and hide the foam bubbles. Lines simulating panels are embedded in the foam. The look is very good, except for the canopy that seems too small.

The canopy is not suitable for FPV because it is not clear. I made a canopy using a plastic sheet held in a metal frame size slightly larger than the base of the final canopy. I kept the frame under heat until the glass deforms under its own weight and I have succeeded in obtaining the desired shape. Let me tell you it was not easy. Having finally achieved my first good canopy, I scrapt it because of bad painting ... I made another one, it took me not far from a week ...

The dashboard come from a kit that contains hundreds of pieces to glue and paint to make a model that is normally show on a desk.

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx...f-16%20cockpit

I removed a lot of foam from the aircraft to be able to insert the dashboard and panels. I integrated a LCD display in the HUD dashboard tells me the altitude. Zlog is an altimeter that was modified to separate the LCD display. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...g+modification
There is also blue and red LEDs that be integrated in the dashboard to get an idea of the remaining capacity of the battery, a buzzer will sound when it comes time to land.

In the nozzle of the turbine, I installed a set of red and yellow LEDs that illuminate when the turbine starts to rotate. There are also beacon lights on the wingtips.

The camera RCV922 http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=132
The camera can rotate 360 deg pan and 90 deg of tilt. With a lot of effort I integrated a 9gr servo modified to180 deg panning in the housing of a standard servo, and with the right gears, the camera swivels 360deg now. A 900MHz transmitter, 200mw is located behind the canopy http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=290

I plan to use the OSDpro and Data recorder from Eagletree http://www.eagletreesystems.com/OSD/OSD-Pro.htm
The Data recorder use pressure sensors which will give me the airspeed and the real altitude, they will be displayed using two scales to the left and right of the image. There will also appear turbine temperature, turbine rpm, voltage, ampere etc.. But the coolest gadget will be the synthesized voice that warns me when I will exceed 400 feets, low battery voltage, high engine temperature etc.. I plan also to use the GPS receiver that will give me the ground speed, distance to the runway, heading etc.. The GPS data is encoded into the video signal by the OSDpro and will be transmitted in real time to the ground which will allow a ground tracking antenna to track the aircraft during its movements and thus obtain better video reception possible.

I ordered a F-16 aircraft complete with servo esc etc. I did not know that the cell would be available individually later, I would had buy that if I would knew… The esc received was faulty and the engine seized within three seconds. I also broke the turbine trying to balancing the propeller... I sent an e-mail to Hobby Lobby and I received a new motor and esc turbine. The motor was installed on my Easystar finally. I ordered a cheap motor and turbine at Hobby city.com and I installed my own servos.

The first flight went very well but it was obvious it has a problem of power, it was far from an F-16 which starts vertically to infinity. I am amazed at what point it rolls right on track, so it's easy to keep the center during takeoff / landing. The view is absolutely magnificent in flight, be able to see behind the aircraft is super cool. The dashboard is beautiful, there are severals details. The flights are short, the turbine is running at the maximum, I got no more than 4 min flights on a battery of 2100mAh, 4S.

I ordered better quality turbine and motor from EJF.com, so I think it will resolve the problem of underpower. I will also need higher capacity batteries around 3500-4000mah, it should give me around 5-6 min flights.

Video:
F-16 FPV (3 min 33 sec)
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:15 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Absolutely amazing!!!! WOW!
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:16 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
VR I must say you are the King, the King with a lot of time on his hands but the King none the less.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Last edited by Tarro; Sep 14, 2009 at 04:24 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:17 PM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
Simply AMAZING!! Excellent job VRflyer - you continue to inspire us all!
MinneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hampshire UK
Joined Oct 2008
363 Posts
How cool is this,,,
j6myw is offline Find More Posts by j6myw
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:18 PM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
I'm speechless Really inspiring!!!
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:28 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,039 Posts
Insane, just insane.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:33 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,070 Posts
What can be said after watching such a video. Thanks for showing us.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:36 PM
Gravity always Wins :(
USA, NY, Bellerose
Joined Jun 2008
202 Posts
wow, words can not describe how amazing this is. Now if you can get the hands to be moving too. lol
Mikeyburger240 is offline Find More Posts by Mikeyburger240
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:38 PM
R/C CRASHER
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Dec 2004
852 Posts
thats the best vr flying i have ever seen, great job!!
tkoguy is offline Find More Posts by tkoguy
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:39 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,418 Posts
My favourite FPV video so far. I have watched that several times now and I have never watched a vid multiple times before.

That is a seriously realistic in the cockpit experience. More relaistic than I could have imagined.

Congratulations to you sir - would love to see a few more if you can. Those big wide sweeping jet turns. Awesome

I saw it when you first posted it and wondered why you didn't post it - now I know you wanted to add some words.
Shikra is online now Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:01 PM
Foam Is Where The Heart Is.
Austin, Tx
Joined Feb 2009
668 Posts
Without a doubt, the illest thing I have seen in FPV. Too cool. Great job.
homiefoamie is offline Find More Posts by homiefoamie
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
London RC Project
London
Joined Apr 2009
357 Posts
awesome!!
BrotherBloat is offline Find More Posts by BrotherBloat
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:10 PM
Vernonia, OR
Joined Mar 2004
1,188 Posts
Super!
Hauntme13 is offline Find More Posts by Hauntme13
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:28 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,184 Posts
very impressive attention to detail. watching the video I can imagine what it must feel like with a good head tracker. looks pretty real to me!
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym