HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:59 PM
Norwich,CT
Joined Dec 2002
72 Posts
Herr AirBoss

Dose any one have any experience with the Herr Eng. AirBoss and
If so what did you use as far as battery and sevos etc. I'm going to use the new gruapner 300 plus with built in ESC for power and thinking of using those new Cirrus 6.2 servos and the Cirrus MXR4
receiver still wondering about what to use for Battery Pack? Also it's advertised as a breezy day Flyer, dose it live up to the claim or
is it just ad hype
Zflyer is offline Find More Posts by Zflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2003, 08:29 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
Look out, here comes the air boss

I have an air boss too. I ran the stock set up and it flies very nice. Your set up sounds like a killer though ! The only problem I have is that the CG was off slightly and it wanted to nose in on landings. When that happened, the motor mount would get trashed OR the shaft on the motor would get bent. You might want to consider some kind of removeable, replaceable mount. Just a heads up. I got sick of replacing the motor after every flight. Plus, to install the battery (and adjust it for the CG) you have to remove the wings.

For batteries, I was using 8.4, 400 mah Nimh and the stock 7.2v 270mah batts.

The plane fly great and would make a fun starter kit and trainer. I have since passed it along to a friend. It does very well in the breeze too as compared to some of the foamier planes (firebirds, GWS, etc.). Herr kits are excellent.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Apr 19, 2003, 08:29 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts

I have an air boss too. I ran the stock set up and it flies very nice. Your set up sounds like a killer though ! The only problem I have is that the CG was off slightly and it wanted to nose in on landings. When that happened, the motor mount would get trashed OR the shaft on the motor would get bent. You might want to consider some kind of removeable, replaceable mount. Just a heads up. I got sick of replacing the motor after every flight. Plus, to install the battery (and adjust it for the CG) you have to remove the wings.

The plane fly great and would make a fun starter kit and trainer. I have since passed it along to a friend. It does very well in the breeze too as compared to some of the foamier planes (firebirds, GWS, etc.). Herr kits are excellent.
Old Apr 19, 2003, 08:30 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts

Old Apr 19, 2003, 08:31 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts

Old Apr 19, 2003, 08:57 PM
Norwich,CT
Joined Dec 2002
72 Posts
Thanx Carnifax I tried the GP Tutor Trainer after leaning how and what to cover it with, warped wings and a deadly crash on the maiden I wanted something to cut my teeth on so I got a Pico Stick FD but alas I do feel Balsa Flys Better so I wanted another Kit to build so I got the AirBoss, My personel feelings so far is it's a much better kit than the Tutor, better quality easier and quicker
to build, sturdier design. One minor gripe no pre-bent gear and trying to get it right isn't easy. I still have an Ugly Stick NIB but
that's for later just waiting for my servos and covering to arrive to
finish the AirBoss
Old Apr 19, 2003, 09:04 PM
Norwich,CT
Joined Dec 2002
72 Posts
P.S. ON Cleveland

My Father was from there if this is the one in the great state of OHIO , I watched my first R/C planes there when I was a young lad and was always fascinated by them, Do you still have REAL Hobby Shops out there? here in CT they are few and far between
Old May 03, 2003, 11:45 PM
Norwich,CT
Joined Dec 2002
72 Posts
Pic's

Pic
Old May 03, 2003, 11:49 PM
Norwich,CT
Joined Dec 2002
72 Posts
Pic #2

Pic #2
Old May 04, 2003, 07:51 AM
Norwich,CT
Joined Dec 2002
72 Posts
Air Boss Maiden

Well I just came back from the first flight and it went OK just have to figure how to get the battery that far foward to the proper position so that it's balanced also have to shorten the elevator through cause it's a little touchy almost did a low level stall trying to bring it back in, just touch a little up and it's stall time. minor damage,took out the nose gear but it's an easy fix boy it wasn't that easy to bend that wire when I was making the gear,Plus I guess I should go to a bigger field cause this Bird is way faster than my Picco Stick
Old May 04, 2003, 07:04 PM
Norwich,CT
Joined Dec 2002
72 Posts
Air Boss Second Flight

Well fixed the CG problem but now have to charge the pack in the Boss cause it's so far forward, ajusted the throws and took her out again in fact just got back , Man dose it ever fly , Had to stay on the controls though cause of the size of the field , Double ball diamond park not enough room to really enjoy it. I did a couple of bounce landings grass is kinda ruff and it's just not as slow as my picco stick fd so it'll take a little getting used to. But all in all nothin but smiles