HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2009, 01:02 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5 Posts
Discussion
Another A-10 conversion and Nitroplanes Warthog

I just completed my project "another A-10 Warthog brushless conversion".
And I thought I'd pop by here an post my pics, and at the top of the page is an ad for an RTF A-10 from Nitroplanes for $79 (reg $299?!).
http://www.nitroplanes.com/new204chathi.html

I started from the GWS sloper for $35 at the LHS. And I got all the running gear from HobbyKing for super prices. I just had my first kitchen taxi test (complete with the wife's voice over "OK its on. And how do I take the picture? It's a movie dear, you're recording now. Oh... :-)
A 10 Warthog GWS brushless conv taxi test (0 min 25 sec)

Anyway its taken me over 2 years (moved once, started new job, have no room to build in apt...) I'm almost afraid to fly it.. so I thought maybe I should by one of the RTF A-10's for sale from Nitroplanes - as a back up?

Here's some pics of my effort, and a pic of the RTF - not too much different except mine weighs flying wt - 29.9 0zs. with aluminum shock absorber landing gear, and 1450 mAh battery (wt 140 gms).

Can't wait to test fly it. I have two Turnigy 4400 kV motors and over 400 watts.
mal818 is offline Find More Posts by mal818
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:47 PM
I like EPP
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Sep 2005
186 Posts
well done Mal... finally got to see her in action. Awsome looking jet!!!

Khuong
matk is offline Find More Posts by matk
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:35 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Lookin good there Hog driver! I too still fly an old GWS A-10 and have lots of fun with it.

One thing on yours though--with 400w and a tiny 1450mah lipo you will be having one SHORT flight and one puffed battery I run a pair of Himax 2015-4100 motors in stock GWS 55mm fans (400w at WOT), 2200mah 25c 3s and can only fly for about 6 minutes with mixed throttle. If your 1450mah has a 20c rating then it's only meant to be discharged at 29amps. It will take around 38amps to make 400w, so a couple WOT bursts and your battery will be toast. I would get a bigger/better battery if I were you before your first flight. I'd hate to see your 2yr build go down in flames on maiden

Have fun!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:41 PM
shredding the skies
Wet Coast Canada
Joined May 2005
346 Posts
niiice! Looked like it needed 1/3 throttle just to get over that speed bump GI Joe looks like he knows what he's doing in there. There shouldn't be any probs. Let's get her in the air and post a vid eh?
boardman is offline Find More Posts by boardman
Old Sep 13, 2009, 07:07 PM
I like EPP
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Sep 2005
186 Posts
[QUOTE=mal818]Anyway its taken me over 2 years (moved once, started new job, have no room to build in apt...) I'm almost afraid to fly it.. so I thought maybe I should buy one of the RTF A-10's for sale from Nitroplanes - as a back up?
QUOTE]

Yes Mal you should for $79.00. (I would just hang your as display model only, would'nt like to see your broken heart....) but on other hand I know you can't wait to take her out for a spin EH???

Cheer.
matk is offline Find More Posts by matk
Old Sep 13, 2009, 07:35 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5 Posts
Thanks for that sammy70, I have a 2200 mAh 20-32C, and a 2200 mAh 30-40C, that I'll use instead. I owe you one.

I hadn't done a full watt meter check since when I first tested the motor setup many months ago, good thing you reminded me, I ran the watt meter and I was pulling over 500 watts at 35 amps... sheesh, my ESC is only a 35. I won't be doing any full throttle till I get this sorted out. I initially planned on using higher amp ESC, but I burned one out at initial setup stage when I forgot to disconnect the red wire off the one ESC. Was in too much of a hurry to give it a try, I forgot the all important step. It worked for a few seconds then it smoked, heated and quit. The other one is still good, but I like a matched set. My backups were these 35 amp ESC's.

I had to rebalance with the heavier battery by sliding it rearward, fortunately there was room.

Looks like tonite's the maiden.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:09 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal818
Looks like tonite's the maiden.

So how did it go?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:04 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5 Posts
Not too bad, came home in one piece, but the usual harem scarem less than ideal maiden flight situation. My fixed gear (with shocks) was torn off on the attempted take off roll. The ground was too rough and had fresh boot prints all over from a recent baseball practice. And I held it on too long.

Never mind, I had prepped for such an eventuality as we only have unprepared surfaces to fly from, since the mains were already off, I quickly removed the nose wheel.

I was given a hand launch and made some altitude but it was evident the trims were out and I wasn't able to get it to trim out. After a couple flicks of the dual rates, I manged to make a few unstable passes before gently setting it down on soft grass.

It was observed that the main wing was far too flexible. (My spotter was sure the wing had actually broken. It didn't though.) I remembered that initially I was going to put in a CF main spar, but in all honesty I think I forgot. Once I was I saw that I had already put in the usual bamboo main spar that comes with the GWS kit, I thought, oh well that'll do. NOT!

I'll get some CF this week and reset my trims and dial in some expo and we'll be back in the air ASAP. There was no shortage of thrust, but it did need to land fairly fast. I'll also put the gear back on in the Retracted position and configure it with tail skid for the next flight. I would like to be able to do ROG take-offs but oh well. It is a nice hand launch - under handed.

(Sorry no pics/vids - camera crew were bloody hopeless. --
...They were probably just as nervous as I was.)

Thanks to my co-pilot and ground crew buddy Russ "boardman".
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:08 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5 Posts
Oh yeah and also I forgot. On the takeoff roll, the ground was so rough it knocked the bottom hatch open and it dug into the ground just behind the nose wheel, thwarting the takeoff. I only had one magnet holding it on, I was gonna put another one in later. oops, my bad.